Who is spraying alky on top of E85?

Haha you know I do it. I like to use the meth on top of the E85 for the excellent detonation resistance and because it gives the primary fuel system a little extra room.

sortta of on topic
I am in the pipe dream of trying E85 BUT my injectors are a little (a lot) on the small size @ 60# could the ALKY injection be used to stretch the injectors out some?
and
Help with pump E85 that tests below the advertised E85?

sortta of on topic
I am in the pipe dream of trying E85 BUT my injectors are a little (a lot) on the small size @ 60# could the ALKY injection be used to stretch the injectors out some?
and
Help with pump E85 that tests below the advertised E85?
Technically yes.

When I spray the alky, I should say "mist", my AFR is fatter.

E-85 is still a primary fuel. Whenever you attempt to cheat, starve, or gamble with a tune and the primary fuel...EXPECT CHIT TO MEET FAN sooner or later!

Good luck!!:D

E-85 is still a primary fuel. Whenever you attempt to cheat, starve, or gamble with a tune and the primary fuel...EXPECT CHIT TO MEET FAN sooner or later!

Nobody that I know of is using the alky for part of the primary on E85 ....unlike 93/alky. It is intended to raise octane and cool intake charge with being able to adjust for temps. My car keeps the same power no matter what the temp is outside.
I will always have control of my tune with Alkycontrol:cool:

Yep depends on how you use it.

Steve, you know how to use it. You also take risk and try new things such as myself.
Ameasap, your system is a safer setup than what most of the guys wanting to test the waters.
Now as for those with less experience and trying to find a way to get by. You've been warned.
IMAG0248.jpg

Jason makes a good point. Using alky flow to supplement a fuel system that's at 100% maxed out would be a risky business.

A safer example would be a fuel system that's at 85% with alky running on the sideline, and if the methanol stopped flowing for some reason then the fuel system could just pick up the slack and run at 95%.

And this is when you sell your baby to a newbie and buy it back for a lot less because he ran it out of alky. Sorry Bob
MotorOut.jpg

Jason makes a good point. Using alky flow to supplement a fuel system that's at 100% maxed out would be a risky business.

A safer example would be a fuel system that's at 85% with alky running on the sideline, and if the methanol stopped flowing for some reason then the fuel system could just pick up the slack and run at 95%.
Would this be where WB correction would come in to play?

How much gasoline does an ALKY displace?
Why would that be any different using ALKY and E85?
Twin #10 nozzles flow a lot of fuel.

How much gasoline does an ALKY displace?
Why would that be any different using ALKY and E85?
Twin #10 nozzles flow a lot of fuel.

Not much different really, but I think I would rather be on E85 if my Alky pump were to quit running, especially if the AFR target could be met.

One difference in my setup is that I switched from using 2 x M15 alky nozzles back when the car was on gasoline. Now that it's on E85 I use a single M10 alky nozzle and have the gain turned way down. It's not flowing much Alky, it doesn't need to.

depends on how you use it.....
I would rather be the guy that uses a little bit of alky on top of the E85, and has closed loop lambda (wideband) working with some extra injector pulsewidth still available. If the alky stops flowing, the lambda controller will drive the injectors to make up the difference and maybe the engine will show an ocassional/intermittent 0.5 or 1 degree of knock retard.

I would not want to be the guy running small injectors at 100% on E85 and also using a lot of alky. If that alky pump quits, the fuel system can't make up the difference. Not sure if this case is better or worse than a pump gas car losing alky. But both are bad that's for sure. It's still do-able, just a bit risky.