Who's ready for some 3800 power?!

Not to change the subject, but didn't you use to have another car with a 3.8L stage II motor?
Glad to see you're almost ready. Well I have a 3800 machined block and I have another 3800 long block that a guy is giving to me and I'm going to try and use the crank and a few other parts off it. You ever see someone build an engine before they even have a car. You've provided so much information and a great blue print to help others who want to work on this project.

Yes I had a 87 GN with a 3.8 stage 2( built by conley performance) for a year but didnt have the time to get to it. It needed a motor rebuild.So I decided to sell it to finish the 3800 car. I sold it to Brian Weaver. few months ago.

Just remember a uncut 3800 crank can handle alot of HP so if you got an uncut one that would be the best. or GM has them for 500$ new.

Hey, if you don't mind me asking how's the project coming along. Also, I have a question about the 3800 Series II Crank, is it forged or cast? If it is cast, it can hold up to a lot more power than I would expect.

The 3800 crank is cast nodular iron . Uncut is very tough. I know of 5-6 guys off the top of my head with 700 or so hp without any issue with the crank. COME makes a billet crank for more power.Obviously the more you cut it the weaker it gets. You can get new GM cranks from GM for around 400-500 but finding a uncut crank should not be that hard . I found one last year on eBay for $75. Its in the motor right now.

As for my project it is running with the new heads and Holley dominator efi. Thank god it looks like the custom harness I made will be good. lI'm very impressed with the stand alone. Been working on the tune for last couple weeks. Battery went dead so have to get it warrantied so I should be on the road any time now so I'm excited . And soon to the dyno . I was going to wait to update thread when I had some hard dyno numbers and go from there. Thanks!

IMG_3056.JPG

The 3800 crank is cast nodular iron . Uncut is very tough. I know of 5-6 guys off the top of my head with 700 or so hp without any issue with the crank. COME makes a billet crank for more power.Obviously the more you cut it the weaker it gets. You can get new GM cranks from GM for around 400-500 but finding a uncut crank should not be that hard . I found one last year on eBay for $75. Its in the motor right now.

As for my project it is running with the new heads and Holley dominator efi. Thank god it looks like the custom harness I made will be good. lI'm very impressed with the stand alone. Been working on the tune for last couple weeks. Battery went dead so have to get it warrantied so I should be on the road any time now so I'm excited . And soon to the dyno . I was going to wait to update thread when I had some hard dyno numbers and go from there. Thanks!
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks I appreciate it . A lot of hard work. only 3800 with coil over plug running a holley dominator in the world the Holley engineer told me lol.

Still needs more tuning but he dominator definitely helps there.

Thanks I appreciate it . A lot of hard work. only 3800 with coil over plug running a holley dominator in the world the Holley engineer told me lol.

Still needs more tuning but he dominator definitely helps there.
Well you do owe yourself a pat on the back, because you dare to do something different and do it with style. We'll see how it comes along for me. I have a 1996 block, looked up the casting number, and a 1997 block that will be machined. I'm going to try and search out a later model block that is NA. That way I know the block has not be beaten on too bad. The best thing, is I can get these blocks machined for free because it is done as part of engine building class. As long as I have the money, my current engine builder can help me fabricate whatever I need to built a 3800 powered GN. I might never get there, but I really want to. If I could get the money back that spent rebuilding my 109, I would probably be able to build a nice 3800 and 4l60 powertrain and have a few bucks left over - LOL.

On the bright side for you, at least the weather is cooling a down for you.

Thank care and happy holidays.

I can tell you from personal experience that even though there's many old school (like ours) 3.8's out there with a ton of miles (left stock or close to it) there are MANY more 3800 N/A and supercharged L67's with MANY more miles on them. Those engines were our training aids in upper and lower engine class in college and IMO they were very impressive engines. Their STANDARD main caps made our stage 2 caps look just silly. If Buick made a stage 3 engine, this would have been it. I truly loved my L67; it was a great engine. I'm all for originality, but if there was a kit that made any L67 a drop in retrofit to my GN, I'd shelf that old LC2 IN A HEARTBEAT.

I can tell you from personal experience that even though there's many old school (like ours) 3.8's out there with a ton of miles (left stock or close to it) there are MANY more 3800 N/A and supercharged L67's with MANY more miles on them. Those engines were our training aids in upper and lower engine class in college and IMO they were very impressive engines. Their STANDARD main caps made our stage 2 caps look just silly. If Buick made a stage 3 engine, this would have been it. I truly loved my L67; it was a great engine. I'm all for originality, but if there was a kit that made any L67 a drop in retrofit to my GN, I'd shelf that old LC2 IN A HEARTBEAT.
My engine builder gave me a 96 machined block. .02 over and ready to go. I just don't have the knowledge or money to jump into the 3800 powered block. I'm partial to my 109 block and originality, it's just the power level I want to reliably make and the weight of my car will be very taxing on the 109 block. 3800# with me in it. Very hard on the drivetrain. To push it into the low 10s. The best thing is that the stock series 2 or 3 heads port and polished seem to flow very well and there are plenty of sets of heads out there too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You want reliable power? Drop an LS into it lol.

That's true but what fun is that? We wanted to make a kit but that costs money and most Buick guys want cheap and plug and play. For 2600 or so we probably could have done it ( headers, intake, spacers and machined balancer. And left the rest to the customer. Like a ls build. The 304 USA made headers for a ls go 900-1200 all day . Sad but it is what it is. The cars are worth more original. But I'm telling you these engines make great power, are light and are dependable. So if only a hand full of guys build one so be.

What's the scoop on this? I have a 3800 with a flipped LIM on my engine stand right now! I just got done reading this whole thing and didn't realize that there was so much 3800 enthusiasm on turbobuick. I haven't figured out the accessory portion of my build yet, so I may be PMing some of you guys.

Mine is together and running, 3800/4L80E. I have my AMP EFI (Megasquirt) MS3-PRO plug and play on it and Borg Warner EFR 9180 turbo. I made a quick patch harness to getting up and running and drove it a little bit to make sure everything worked well and now I'm making the final harness with the ECU in the car.

,Dan

Attachments

• IMG_20170813_152349397.jpg
    IMG_20170813_152349397.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 102
Nice job! I can't wait to see it put down some power. Regarding the custom accessories, does the custom crank pulley cause any problems with the engines external balancing? I'm still trying to wrap my head around how all this works. It looks like an L26 balancer was modified to accept the Astro pully? Is there a balancer spacer or anything like that? Thanks

I can't speak for Brian's setup, but for mine I'm using a Ford pulley. I don't know for sure about balance because I did forged rods and pistons and had them balance the engine with my adapter in the balancer, it was balanced to 7,000rpm and it doesn't seem like they had to do much to the crank to make it work.

My adapter is zero balance and it appears the piece removed to put my adapter in was zero as well.

Thanks, Dan

Ahh okay. It's been interesting following this thread because everyone in here is doing things a little bit differently. It looks like I may be the first person to attempt flipping the 3800 intake while utilizing a stock Camaro balancer. I can fabricate brackets, but machining pulleys and balancers is a bit outside of my expertise. I think I recall reading somewhere that the Camaro power steering pump will not fit in its stock location with the HR mounts. Can anyone confirm this? I can't imagine it being too in the way since the Grand National pump is in the same spot.

Edit: The Grand National belt is further forward by an inch or so. That could certainly cause an issue with the mounts. I will look for some Regal mounts and a pump to play with.

Attachments

• Alternator placement.jpg
    Alternator placement.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 87
Last edited: