Why do diamonds have to cost so much???? Would she marry me if....

Maltman

I just purchased a diamond for the lady. OH NO...I just realized that I could have got GN1 heads (ported) and a new bigger and badder turbo!!!! :eek:

jk...but oh my gosh...this is worse than gas prices....and when I said "purchased a diamond"...that is it...a diamond! No ring, no sizing, no band!!! I'll be close to 5g when this is all said and done. ARRRGGGGHHHH....I better not have to sell this GN when we get married!!!! :D

Good thing she doesn't read this board, so I can vent to you guys. Diamond buffs: I went for a nicer cut (Leo). It is a .72 carat princess that is a "I" color and a "VVS2" clarity. I did a ton of research on the net before venturing into the various shops...but man, I sware they are all in bed together!

If I went for the mathmatical 3/4 carat I'd be about 1,500 dollars more! So I found a respectable size below the mathmatical 3/4 (but still considered 3/4 by industry standards). This put me in a lower bracket for $$...stupid if you as me that a similar cut and quality that is .76 carat would be that much more money. Even though, the lower bracket was $3600...and I know deep down that these suckers are racking me over the coals....but I sure as heck won't trust the internet jackoffs that sell "certified" diamonds. After reading a bunch, I found that even I could start a diamond distribution and certify the diamonds based on MY standards. Totally legal to say a rock is without imperfection when in fact it is total crap...why, because it is certified by me.

Ok...next point...what ever happened to a loin cloth like in braveheart??

I don't know, I love the girl, but this marriage stuff is going to get expensive and fast :(

LOL.. you are about to start a new chapter in live, a chapter i hope i will never have to take. Marriage is alot of work,,,i mean A LOT of work. I don`t know too many who have survive it, but i do wish you all the luck.

Now if you believe in wishes....then you really need to get married.

You don't know pain. Try this on for size, my father in law is a diamond cutter with over 30 years experience in the diamond district. His 3 brothers are also diamond cutters in the diamond district. To make matters worse I grew up with my wife and her family so I cared what they thought. Believe me when I say I hardly ever care what anyone thinks but this wasn't one. When she got the ring each of them took out an eye loop and inspected the ring. I won't say how much I spent but I tell her it is a small car on her hand. 1.82 Carats :eek:

debeers, they control about 80 to 85% of the worlds diamond supply, that is the sould reason why diamonds are soo pricey. although there is an other large firm that has snuck in to the debeers cartel, they have been successful in lowering the price of diamonds some what. (damn TLC is usefull sometimes)

i have a really nice engagment ring i not using.. i will sell it for a good price lol

Oh man, why did you have to start this thread???

My g/f is gonna see this and definately be 'interested'. And she does read/write on this board.

Best advice I can give is go to Amsterdam. Despite their reputation for coffee shops, the diamond industry is crazy there. We toured one of the diamond factories and I'll tell you what... the credit card stayed HOME!!!

Good luck. Glad to hear you didn't do like my former room mate did. Go to WalMart. :eek:

I found out if you are good at picking diamond a pone shop is a good place to shop. I found my wife’s diamond there and had it reset for like $600. Then had it appraised and the said with the diamond, 2 sapphires (our birth stone) and setting the ring was worth $2,800. Thank you aunt Kathie for having a really good idea. By the way we get married this weekend 26JUN04.

Well, I don't think you will need a diamond ring to get engaged. I did research on diomands since it is not common to have a diomand rings in Germany. I came to the conclusion that having a "car" on my fingre is really not necessary and if you love your partner it shouldn't be an issue at all. Will she feel valued with a nice diamond on her hands , probably but I don't hoestly think anybody reasonable will take a microscope to it for clarity. If you don't see it as an investment but for what it should be- a nice gesture and a sign of love and appreciation- you do not have to buy an expensive ring!

My opinion!

Unfortunately some women are so obsessed with the ring. Not my wife, thankfully. But I have seen some girls tell their boyfriends when they expect to be proposed to and the size, shape, clarity, and place the ring should be purchased. Most girls are into jewelry as much as guys are into their cars. Either way they are both expensive hobbies.

Debeers really controlls the market and therefore the (inflated)price. What ever happened to the good old days when instead of the men giving the woman a diamond $$ ring, the woman's family gave the man a dowrey $$ to take their daughter off of their hands?

I got lucky with my girl the only ring she wares is the ring I got her. She doesn't care about thing like that. She would rather be outside working on a car of repealing off a mountain then worried about those frilly things. Good old mountain girls.

If you spend more than $3000 on a ring... I find you to be pretty dumb.

Women need to realize their place.. If she does not approve the ring you give her, drop her like a hot potatoe. Men who spend $10,000+ on a ring are just suckers. Men need to pull up their boots and tell the women like it is. With your best pimp-daddy attitude, you lay the rules down for the woman. "B!tch, you ain't got to read the whole book to know what the story's about.. Here
's your ring... take it or leave it." If you don't stand up now, your woman will be EXPECTING nice things her whole life. Next thing ya know.. the Regal's gone and she's got a new car.
:eek:

I bought my wife a sapphire engagement ring instead of a diamond and she absolutely loved it. It was still pricey but not nearly as expensive as a comparable diamond would have been (1.3 k). The fact that it was different then what every other girl had made it special for her and it was actually fun to buy.

Z

Originally posted by bigz
I bought my wife a sapphire engagement ring instead of a diamond and she absolutely loved it. It was still pricey but not nearly as expensive as a comparable diamond would have been (1.3 k). The fact that it was different then what every other girl had made it special for her and it was actually fun to buy.

Z

I keep trying to pass the same mentality about the cubic zirconium... ;)

LOL...some of you crack me up

Like: I'm pretty sure I look like a total white boy when trying to pull out the pimp daddy card...lol....but thanks 1qwik6 :D I try to tell her "she isn't the boss of me", but I just get laughed at and sent to the timeout chair. jk...if you knew her you'd laugh too...she barely lifts a finger at me, but I try to stay pretty mild mannered....I think ;)

I should make it clear though that I "want" to buy a nice ring. This will sound hopeless, but I think she is worth it. Definitely not 10g worth it, but somewhere around where I'm going. I mean come on....look at my website and make some predictions about how much I have wrapped up into this car of mine :eek:

I got lucky with my girl the only ring she wares is the ring I got her. She doesn't care about thing like that. She would rather be outside working on a car of repealing off a mountain then worried about those frilly things. Good old mountain girls.

True...my girl is the same in some respect. She is a biologist that loves working with water and doing ecological research IN the streams and rivers with waders. Not to worried about damage, but "oops...my ring is missing" crossed my mine a time or 2 :D

...simple solution though, she takes it off when venturing into the water.

Unfortunately some women are so obsessed with the ring. Not my wife, thankfully. But I have seen some girls tell their boyfriends when they expect to be proposed to and the size, shape, clarity, and place the ring should be purchased. Most girls are into jewelry as much as guys are into their cars. Either way they are both expensive hobbies.

...which is worse for me...she is too smart to cover up the value and expense associated with various parts on the car and she has seen the car "grow" from fairly mild and stock to what it is now. She told me that she would be fine with the smaller "ring" (we looked at 2 styles) and that was about 1g less. However, as I think about it.....I dropped a g on Mr. Jack Cotton without thinking much about it....so I played along and said lets just secure the diamond for now.

Besides, if she knew everything about the ring before getting it...what fun would that be?

Again, thanks everyone for the input (and stories)...very useful and entertaining :D

Originally posted by gn85
I keep trying to pass the same mentality about the cubic zirconium... ;)

But I'd be single again if she every had it cleaned and appraised (for insurance). Pretty sure I couldn't get the jeweler to lie for me....or maybe....hmmmmm :D

Diamonds are one thing that women actually get right. Outside of that and deciding on a nice house, most everything they spend money on are consumables (read clothes, nick-nacks, hair, nails). Diamonds hold value and increase in value. It's not necessarily a bad thing to buy a big rock as long as both man and woman agree. I'd rather see my wife sporting something she's proud of and proud of me for buying than dropping $$$ on her 44th pair of sandals.

Marriage, huh? Drop everything...turn...and run! Don't stop running untill you collapse from exhaustion. Get a good night's sleep and run some more. If you see this diamond/ring thing as anything other than her judging how far you will go to appease her than you live in a very happy fairy tale.

John Larkin hit it right on the head......they buy candles and windchimes and animals that will continuously need things and never get a job and then buy cookbooks that show them all kinds of exotic new recipes that require swordfish, shiitake and some crazy Woola Maki Chula sauce from Madagascar that's $30 a bottle and even have the nerve to get angry when you don't really like it.

Bottom line....make it a constant trade-off. Make her understand that, now that she gets the ring, she'll receive nothing else of comparable value untill you've received something equal.

Now that I look back, I'd opt for a full frontal lobotomy before getting married again. *Cracks another beer to ease the pain*

;)

37th wedding anniversary today....

Don't worry about what everyone else thinks! Its how the two of you want to live that is important.

I wouldn't spend that kind of money for Jennifer Lopez....But, I don't expect you to live by MY values either ;)

I'm going to sell my TTA in a year or so to pay for a kitchen (that's what I tell her anyway....Its really going into the garage) in our new home. I'd (read WE) prefer to put our limited resources in our final home and enjoy our retirement in the process. But again, I don't expect you to have the same priorities....That is why you need to live your own life, regardless of whether your father-in-law and uncles in-law are diamond cutters or not ;)

Plan for the long term :)

Originally posted by DCEPTCN
Marriage, huh? Drop everything...turn...and run! Don't stop running untill you collapse from exhaustion. Get a good night's sleep and run some more. If you see this diamond/ring thing as anything other than her judging how far you will go to appease her than you live in a very happy fairy tale.

John Larkin hit it right on the head......they buy candles and windchimes and animals that will continuously need things and never get a job and then buy cookbooks that show them all kinds of exotic new recipes that require swordfish, shiitake and some crazy Woola Maki Chula sauce from Madagascar that's $30 a bottle and even have the nerve to get angry when you don't really like it.

Bottom line....make it a constant trade-off. Make her understand that, now that she gets the ring, she'll receive nothing else of comparable value untill you've received something equal.

Now that I look back, I'd opt for a full frontal lobotomy before getting married again. *Cracks another beer to ease the pain*

;)

Here here. :)

Steve