Wrx

IrvJr

This is the first time i lined up against one and was feeling a little nervous. We were up in Daytona, FL for the Turkey Rod Run. The WRX and a Acura something went flying by only to get caught at a red light, which i luckily came up into the left lane next to the Subaru. I didnt brake boost cause i didnt know what he was gonna do. I left normal and he took off after a second of normal acceleration. So i nailed it and left him so bad i thought maybe he wasnt racing. But he caught up to me and gave me a big thumbs up and drove off.

Scott

If it was a wrx then it wasn't an STI WRX because they can run a 12.8 stock but a normal wrx should have been no problem for you

Originally posted by rb84gn
If it was a wrx then it wasn't an STI WRX because they can run a 12.8 stock but a normal wrx should have been no problem for you
12.8 stock?:confused: The ones I have seen were running13.4s
This month in Hot Rod magazine they tested it against a Cobra and it ran 13.29{altitude corrected} I personally think 12.8 is a little ambitious.

the WRX is 2.0L and the STI version is 2.5L

Sti has a different turbo, bigger injectors, and some other stuff that I can't remember.

Subaru rates the WRX at 227hp and the STI at 300hp.

visually, the STI has bigger wheels, and larger wing on the back and it should say STI in cherry blossom red on the grill and the intercooler.

I was a little too busy smackin that ass to look at his grill. LOL!

Scott

Originally posted by Zneed4speed
the WRX is 2.0L and the STI version is 2.5L

Sti has a different turbo, bigger injectors, and some other stuff that I can't remember.

Subaru rates the WRX at 227hp and the STI at 300hp.

visually, the STI has bigger wheels, and larger wing on the back and it should say STI in cherry blossom red on the grill and the intercooler.

Actually the STi also has completely upgraded internals (beefy as hell) and a 6-speed transmission as well.

STi goodies the regular WRX does not have:

2.5L Semi-closed deck block
Forged connecting rods and pistons (All Subaru cranks are forged)
Larger Turbo
Larger injectors
Larger intercooler
Variable valve timing
close ratio six speed
Front and rear limited slip differentials
Computer controlled/Driver tunable center differential
Baer brakes
17" lightweight BBS wheels
Big ugly wing
Really nice seats
Radio Delete (woo-hoo!)
Stiffer springs
Stiffer shocks
Harder suspension bushings
larger swaybars
Bigger hood scoop
No foglights

300hp, 300lb/ft

The car's computer is very aggressive about getting the most out of the engine. It runs the timing and boost up until it knocks and then backs off a little. So, in theory, if people are getting into the low 13s on pump gas, you could fill it up with some good unleaded race fuel, reset the computer, get it through the learning cycle, you could gain enough power to put it into the 12s bone stock...

Incidentally, the new Forester XT has the same engine in it, but with a smaller turbo, injectors, and intercooler. Replace those items and reflash the computer and you have a 300+ horsepower Forester... which would be quite the sleeper.

Originally posted by Randy Greenoe
12.8 stock?:confused: I personally think 12.8 is a little ambitious.

Maybe he's a WRX owner. You know, when you own a certain car, it's always a half-second quicker than the fastest anybody else has seen it go.

Originally posted by Randy Greenoe
12.8 stock?:confused: The ones I have seen were running13.4s
This month in Hot Rod magazine they tested it against a Cobra and it ran 13.29{altitude corrected} I personally think 12.8 is a little ambitious.

yeah man, I read that magazine

you need to watch out for some of those non STi's too! My friend's 02 Rex pulls low 13s on 93 octane in Dallas. He is using the stock 205s! Although its AWD, he can still get em spinnin. Once he gets his bigger meats, injectors, and bigger turbo(stock are one the smallest of any production model) he will be WELL into the 12s...
but then again, I also will be pulling low 12s, but with my 86 Brick GN(mispelled on purpose)

12.8's on a stock STi is very easily accessable. The only thing the car needs is a good DRIVER. It is very hard to launch a AWD vehicle. On the Subaru boards STi owners that are slower than 13.4 get ragged on bad. Stock WRX's are in the low 14's. The WRX and STi are totally different cars. STi has 100% different drivetrain, lighter windows, no radio, 100 whp more, brake system, exhaust system, turbo, I/C, I/C water sprayer, rear spoiler, front spoilers, hid headlights, hoodscoop, no fold down center console in back, stiffened chassis, no underbody coating, steering wheel, gauge cluster, shift light, seats, lighter BBS wheels, bridgestone racing tires, steering ratio, all suspension components. The spoiler is dual plane. One plane is effective at 80 mph and the other starts to work at like 115. The tranny is really cool. It is very strong compared to the 5 speed in the WRX, and it has Driver Controlled Center Differential. DCCD will allow power displacement up to 35/65 and can do 50/50 lock up. When under full acceleration if it is in auto mode it gets confused and becomes rwd for a few secconds. With the I/C water sprayer, two winsheild washer nozzles aare placed in the intercooler scoop and spray a fine mist over the I/C at the touch of a button. A FACTORY SHIFT LIGHT! :D That is so cool. I am selling my 03 WRX for an STi. You gotta give some respect to a vehicle that can light up 4 tires. I have alot more info, but I will stop taking up the page.

Nick

Yep STIs are awesome for what they are. However, the price is ridiculous. IMO

I was ready a magazine the other day. They were track testing the STI at the drag strip. The shaved off almost .5 seconds by icing down the intercooler.:eek:

I am looking at one for 29,000 my WRX was 24,500. The STi brakes are 5,000, the wheels are 1,000 each, 6,000 for the tranny and rear end set up, and the list goes on. It is cheaper to go STi if you were gonna get a WRX and tune it. And a new car that can easily reach high 12's for less than 30,000 seems to be a good buy for me.

Nick

STI

My friend just bought an STI, and ironically enough, I drove him in my Buick to pick it up:) . The STI is amazingly quick off the line, and he easily had me in the 60', but, after spool up, I caught up to him. My car runs in the low 12's, I would say that the 13.2 rating in the magazines for the STI is underrated. It FEELS very fast when driving, and is only a few tenths slower than my buick. Very fun car to drive.

Car craft ran 13.3's leaving at 6000 prm and dropping the clutch.. Most people won't do that to their own car so Id say most run high 13's stock.. Easy pickings. They don't mph either. Like 103. ho hum.. sti is rice.. go uncle bens!:D ;)

On NASIOC forums, there are 4 STi's in the high 12's. Best is 12.5@104. 13 STi's under 13.3 with the best 13.049 @102. WRX and STi are NOT rice. Rice is euro tails, body kit, tin can and no go. Rice usually has a stereo with subs too. (generally ****ty ones). Cars dont come ricy, they are made that way. The STi is a factory race car, not a factory rice car.

Nick

Originally posted by I eat Z06
The STi is a factory race car, not a factory rice car.
Nick

Agreed. I still think they are expensive, but having said that the WRX platform is a very reliable platform. Subaru helped write the book on all wheel drive. The damn things just don't break.

There is a video I saw of a 9.98 @147 WRX. The guy basically bought a stock WRX and dropped another 28,000 in it having a company do all of the mods and tuning for him. Not bad for under 60,000 to have a 9 sec "STREET" car that can be driven everyday.

I was seriously thinking about buying a WRX for my daily driver, but opted for my Cadillac STS instead. To each his own. Yeah the Cadillac is a big car but the Northstar is lethal at highway speeds... :D

I know alot of domestic owners, Vettes, Vipers etc that have WRXs for their daily drivers. These cars are not rice. :eek:

Gary

That 9 second WRX is the Easy Street, he just bumped down the time to a 9.75@137.98. The damn things just don't break. That is true about the STi. However for the WRX, the 5mt tranny is made out of glass, with crystal gears.

Nick