Wrx

IrvJr..... good kill!!

A 2002 T/A WS6 is more respectable than a Cobra.

:confused: :confused: :confused: Compared to my Cobra, my LS1 SS was slower and had lower build quality. You wanna see cars that depreciate, take a look at F-bodies!

A 03 Cobra is $26,000, almost 10 grand lost in 1 year.

The only Cobras selling for $26k have higher mileage, or the owner needs to unload them quickly. Besides, the car has only been out for a year. It always takes domestic cars a few years to start holding their value or reappreciating

The SVT cobra runs a 13.3 1/4 mile while the STi ran the exact same time.

Anyone running a 13.3 in an '03 Cobra, that has any sort of racing experience, needs to have their keys taken away from them. And I have never seen a stock STi run high 12s. Everyone that I have seen runs low-high 13s, with low MPH.

In 100% of the comparasons it is going to be a driver vs. driver race.

100% of comparisons? Unless the Cobra driver is incapable, there is no way 100% of the races come down to driver. On the street, anything can happen. But at the track, it's a different story. I've had no problems with any STi, no matter the location. I think it's a really cool car, along with the Evo and SRT-4..... I'm just tired of people preaching high 12's as the norm, and routinely running with or beating Cobras.

I looked at car & driver, R & T, motor trend. They all tested the STi and Cobra (different issues) and their times are all within 2 1/10th's of eachother in each mag. The STi whooped on the SVT on the road course too. Most subaru drivers dont buy their car to race in a straight line, neither do most ferrari owners. So their 1/4 mile runs arnt beautiful, but their road course or rally (not ferrari) times are where they shine. I am pickin up my STi tonight or tommorro, so I will let you guys know what I run (1/4) when the snow goes away. Vicious: how much money did you drop to run the low 12 in the SVT? at what boost?

Nick

I never reference R/T, MT, or C&D for any kind of performance numbers. They don't race at the strip, and can't drag race cars worth snot. There road course times do seem fairly accurate, though.
I wouldn't call the STi vs. Cobra road course a "whooping", but I'll definintely give the STi props for it's handling. I've seen stock Cobras take STi's on the road course, mostly due to the driver. It takes a couple of suspension mods to get the Cobra ahead of the STi, on a consistent basis, while on a road course. With lower weight and a smaller wheelbase, the Subie is better suited for the road course. I've never personally raced on a road course. That's something I'd really like to get into, next year.

Couple more thoughts.....

Subaru's are selling for MRSP and higher, ford is selling for under, maybee thats the only reason people are buying them.

You couldn't buy a Cobra for MSRP, when they first come out, either. They dropped the price once news of another run in 04 surfaced.

but you gotta remeber FORD also puts on items that are "FULLY FUNCTIONAL.......for astetics only..." The hood scoop...Rex's is functional...not the Mustang's...

Actually, the Cobra doesn't have a hood scoop. It has two reverse vents that are very functional in extracting heat.

IeatZ06......
My car ran 12.09@118 w/ 1.86 60', in 90+ deg July weather. I fully expect 11s, on stock radials, with better weather. I'm still honing my driving skills, being that this is the first stick car I've actually ran at the strip and that was only my second trip to the track with it. So far, I've only spent about $1100, including things like plugs, belt, and shifter. Haven't installed a new boost gauge, yet, but my pulley usually nets 12-14 psi. Once I get some DRs, I expect mid 11s. :cool:

stangs dont hold their value worth sh*t, excluding Saleen, and Shelby. Hell new mustangs are a joke, the only reason people buy them is there are no more V8 rwd cars under 50,000 besides the pony car. The new GT has only 260 hp and 302 ft/lb. STi has 300hp 300 ft/lbs.

Mustangs have been around since April of 1964 so Ford is doing something right. Not all Mustangs are street beasts. The V6 versions and past 4cyl versions kept the car alive through some tough times. In the 80s Turbo Buicks weren't cheap cars so it wasn't an option for most people.

Also, the Mach 1 does have a functional scoop! It wouldn't be cost effective to put that on every single Mustang made. Heck, I bet ya Ford has sold more Mustangs than Suburu has sold TOTAL in the US!

I also just watched my friend put down a 11.50 at the dragstrip in his 03 Cobra. His mods where X-Pipe Exhaust, Pulley, intake, and predator programmer. I'm not saying a Subaru isn't a nice car, I'm just saying don't bash Mustangs when I can get a one cheaper than an STI and outrun your STI!

Also, Mustangs were running Turbocharged SVOs and people had them in the 9s long before WRXs or STIs were a thought...

At my local track the STI runs 9.1s... :rolleyes: real impressive!

James

Originally posted by bishir
Mustangs have been around since April of 1964 so Ford is doing something right.

The only thing they've done right since 1995 is get chicks to buy millions of V6 versions of the car. That is what is keeping the Mustang afloat, millions of appearance conscious girls.

The Mustang is a chick car with poor build quality, terrible ergonomics, uncomfortable seats, and can't even keep up with a 2.0L four banger unless it has a blower strapped to it despite having 230% of the displacement.

That 2.0L 4-banger is also huffing 230% more turbocharged boost...

And what about the Buick being a grandma car, with poor build quality, that can't keep up with the same 4-banger despite having 190% more displacement and 12psi of boost?

Opinions are all subjective, and different automotive choices are what's make this hobby exciting. I happen to love the seats and ergonomics of my Cobra. Did I think my GN was a grandma car? Hell, no.... but I wasn't trashing the F-body or Mustang, either. And the build quality of my GN was just as questionable. GN, STi, Cobra..... I'll take one of each, please! :D

The only thing they've done right since 1995 is get chicks to buy millions of V6 versions of the car. That is what is keeping the Mustang afloat, millions of appearance conscious girls

Well, the original intent of Lee Iaccoca was for the Mustang to be a secretaries car so it looks like that model still works. Once the sales of the Mustang exploded they introduced more performance based models. I wonder the original intent of the Regal. ;)

Anyways, I don't understand why it's necessary to put down other cars when talking about the WRX, STI, or Gods own golden chariot. Face it, the Mustang is a popular car that is still around because chicks buy the V6 versions. You mean Suburu doesn't offer a non-turbo wagon for the soccer moms wanting a trip to the store?

I've been inside the Subaru assembly plant in Lafayette, Indiana and watched them put the cars together. They all start as basically the same chassis and go from there.

The following just sounds like whining to me :rolleyes:

The Mustang is a chick car with poor build quality, terrible ergonomics, uncomfortable seats, and can't even keep up with a 2.0L four banger unless it has a blower strapped to it despite having 230% of the displacement.

BTW, the new Cobra seats are some of the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in! They wrap around my body and hold me right in place. I suggest you drive one sometime.

James

Originally posted by bishir

BTW, the new Cobra seats are some of the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in! They wrap around my body and hold me right in place. I suggest you drive one sometime.

I have. I was unimpressed with the seats, they seem to be engineered for fairly large people, and the shifter is too far forward. Third gear was annoyingly accompanied by a radio station change quite a few times.

Originally posted by FlyinGN
Nick, one question.. How old are you??

umm, do u think that people who buy sti's race wrc?? Get a clue.. ITS NOT FUNCTIONAL on the street> if you think otherwise .. no comment.. Its not worth debating. I have been around collector cars prolly longer then you have been living.. If you think a old Subaru is worth as much as an old Mustang.. You are in fantasyland.

That's right, they are not functional on the street. That's why you can take em' to the track. (sccaa or whatever track, or what have you). Same with some other cars, S4's, Mustang Cobras, GN's, Corvettes... Who the hell is going to go 160mph on the highway?

Originally posted by Boostd6
Who the hell is going to go 160mph on the highway?

Ummm...me?

Some of these arguments are completely silly. If a magazine runs 13.2 with a car doesn't mean it runs 13.2 ON THE STREET.

The magazine doesn't care if the car blows up after a 6K clutch drop, they don't own it and don't have to pay to fix it. With out a cooldown between runs, the best Hot Rod could do with the STI was 13.9 @ 102. It took a bag of ice on the intercooler to run low 13's. I always drive around with a bag of ice on my motor :rolleyes:

On the street, mph wins races. If a car only runs 103 mph in the 1/4 and its racing one that runs 113, its pretty obvious who will lose and who will win.

Originally posted by UNGN
On the street, mph wins races. If a car only runs 103 mph in the 1/4 and its racing one that runs 113, its pretty obvious who will lose and who will win.

Not necessarily! Traction is almost always going to be worse on the street. That 113mph car may end up losing...

Some Malibu I "raced" kept up with me to 50mph because I was spinning until I hit 40mph. Yeah, the streets were wet :p

I just drove from Philly to Lansing, MI in my STi. The functional spoiler that kicks in at 80mph was used the entire way back. The ride wasnt bad, seats were cumfy (not buick squishy):( , and the 700 mile drive w/o a radio wasnt as horrible as you'd imagine. A stereo is not needed in that thing. I think I am going to do power upgrades before a stereo. In 6th at about 80, if you get on it, the STi sounds like it has a supercharger. Same whine sound that my ma's Jag XKR makes under full throttle. In a street race, most people dont run to 113mph. I usually back down around 60, so the STi would beat the SVT on the street. It is raining out, wanna race? Next month there will be snow, any SVT's wanna race?

Nick

You were in Philly? Why did't you come see me??
NOW you have an STI? I thought you (or your family should I say..)had a WRX? Jeeze..

I usually back down around 60, so the STi would beat the SVT on the street.

It's takes a helacious launch to get these magazine-quality 60' times outta the STi. I've watched 'em at the track, and raced a few on the street. It's been close at the start a couple of times, but never has the STi run from me on the launch. And after the launch, it's all over.
Stoplight runs to 60mph are certainly common, but if you lay up at 60 during an open run then you're cutting the race before it's over! I just love it when guys leave early, then shut down before I get going....

It is raining out, wanna race? Next month there will be snow, any SVT's wanna race?

Who in the hell is gonna race in the snow/rain?! I have enough traction issues on dry roads and a warm day. Your all wheel drive may be a lot of fun on the launch, but your car is gonna slide just the same when you hit that patch of black ice. It's like the 4x4 you see hauling ass down the interstate b/c he thinks his 4-wheel drive negates all effects of winter driving. Ten miles down the road, guess who's in the ditch....

Originally posted by ViciousV6
It's takes a helacious launch to get these magazine-quality 60' times outta the STi.

Actually, it doesn't. Hot Rod was abusing that car. I get consistent 1.8 60' times out of my WRX with a 4K slip-clutch launch. Smells bad, but first gear stays intact.

Actually, it doesn't. Hot Rod was abusing that car. I get consistent 1.8 60' times out of my WRX with a 4K slip-clutch launch. Smells bad, but first gear stays intact.

Those are certainly good 60' times. I cut consistent 1.8s on factory radials, as well. Only thing is, you can't smell clutch when I launch! If I was smoking my clutch on every launch, I'd consider that excessive. :eek:

Originally posted by ViciousV6
...If I was smoking my clutch on every launch, I'd consider that excessive. :eek:

Clutches are cheaper than first gear. I've got 52K on the factory clutch, so I'm must not be burning it up too badly.

Originally posted by I eat Z06
. Subaru obviously whoops on all the N/A fords. The Subaru also has one major factor that SVT dosnt, if you live where there is snow, you can drive the STi year round.

Nick

Judging by your sig you had a few problems this winter with the WRX. Sorry Im an ass.

Back on topic, good kill! :p

The problem of a stupid driver (she ran a red light) was corrected with a faster car (STi).:D The point of the wanna race in rain is: Buick or most high power rear wheel drive vehicles can not do this, whearas a high powered awd can. For a hard launch with my 03 WRX it was a 3500-4000 rpm slip launch with very minimal clutch burn. When my 03 vs. my GN race occured the WRX killed the GN until my turbo spooled. GN's on stock tires cant leave with as much boost as WRX's with stock tires. Sorry bout not stoppin, but it was a stop, pick up, and leave thing. I love PA highways, you can haul, and there are a bunch of turns. ;)

Nick