Wrx

Originally posted by 87grandnat
hey dude the only reason its gonna be on the cover is to show that even japans best factory car cant f*ck with a decent american muscle car.......come on man open up your eyes.

Obviously it does compare or this article wouldn't be in it. I'll save you $5. Hot Rods track test results:

Cobra: 4.6l
1/4 13.30

STi: 2.5l
1/4 13.29

That's stock for stock! If you do pick up this mag. The last paragraph said that in a street race the Sti would "Probably" beat the Cobra.

I like Cobra's just the same, but I've always been impressed with little motors making big power. Hence the 3.8l in the TR!

Now go check you produce!

Hot Rod is a Chevy Mag... they can't overpromote a Ford or they'd lose their subscribers. Which they are about to do anyways putting a Suburu on the cover....

James

Back in the 80's there was this big car that had a V6 with a turbo slapped in it and it whooped the **** out of everything else. It came in any color you wanted as long as it was black. In the 21st century there was this compact sedan that had a Boxter 4 with a turbo slapped in it and it whooped the **** out of everything else. (dont be a jackass and name off some $50,000 + sports cars) Do you see a similarity? Maybee that why so many buick owners are buying STi's. Respect the pink badge if you dont have a modded GN. The entire car is made in japan, not just final production. One word of wisdom, go test drive it. (if the dealer will allow) Then come back, you might change your mind a little.

Nick

I ran a STI down on the highway the other a day. I think the guy was really surprised to see a big black car run him down and pass with ease. Some people have no respect.
He ran up on me with an attitude. All he got was an attitude adjustment. :eek:

Real car people respect all cars that are decent. The STI is an awesome car for what it is. Still pricey though IMO. I have ran across a lot STI and Evo guys who think nothing can touch them. I hope they keep thinking that when they see my "Black" Monte Carlo.....LOL

Personally almost every car maker "worth mentioning" is making or has made some great cars. I just think the import crowd gets tunnel vision about their cars. I even ran down a G35 the other day in my lowly ol Cadillac STI 4000lb+ car. he-he-he :p

You will see that alot of Buick guys own other cars. Mustangs, Camaros, STIs whatever. The same cannot be said about the import crowd.

To get respect you need to give it. Period.

all im saying is that the sti is ugly japanesse crap, is the perfomance good? yeah, for to much money but it is good, every one is bashing me because im speaking my opion on the fact that i dont like it and wouldnt buy a foreign car. if you cats like it thats fine but i dont and i wont, could it beat my gn stock to stock yeah it probably would but around were i live (DFW) if you pull up to the park to play ball with your boys in a gn or anywere for that matter, heads turn, then come the oohhs and aahhs. but driving anywere in a sti (around hear) all youd get is turns from 15 year old teens in civics or asked "why did you buy that ugly as ride?" that is all that im saying. And to the dumbass that told me to go check my produce, me working produce is paying my way trough college and for me to work on my gn. (when is the hatting ever gonna end?)

That is fine that you dont like it, but dont say it is crap. Some examples of quality are the interior, Brembo brakes (found on ferrari), BBS wheels (also found on ferrari), and a strong drivetrain. All of those are non crap factors. The I/C sprayer is sweet, wish I had one of them on the Buick. I also seem to get more attention in the STi than the Buick did before I put wheels on it. Most people that I come up to with the STi wanna race, no one wants to race the GN. Here in Michigan if someone is driving a sweet car, no matter the make, you get thumbs up (usually, sometimes after they loose pouting occurs). The only downside to the STi is no radio, track tires in Michigan winter, and gas mileage.

Nick

Originally posted by rb84gn
If it was a wrx then it wasn't an STI WRX because they can run a 12.8 stock but a normal wrx should have been no problem for you
Cough, Choke, Gag, Wheeze.....BWHAHAHA.... Yea.....:rolleyes:

yeah your right, i guess i shouldn t voice all my opinions out loud. you know i didnt know that sti's came with bbs rims, i plan on getting some of those for the gn (oh did i just say that!!!)

Originally posted by boostedmaxPSI
I agree! I've found myself doing the same thing with my Cobb stage II WRX. The car is simply a blast to drive.
Frank
I'm going to assume you've never been in a 1989 Turbo Trans Am. I've been in a lot of cars and the TTA is in it's own league. There's simply nothing on the road that compares to it short of something EXOTIC. Acceleration, skidpad, breaking, it has it all....and it's a domestic American made car. I miss mine with a vengeance. Did I mention high 12's with a chip and a little more boost? Is there any downside?....

Launch 1
Launch 2
Launch 3

Race 1
Race 2
Race 3

TTA :D

Yeah, I used to have TTA too.. :(

Car was awesome. I plan on getting another some day. There was a guy selling a 10 sec ( streetable ) one for around 17K. You can't even get close to that price with an import and go that fast.

I loved my TTA ( no decals ). Truly a sleeper. Most people had no idea what it was and seemed to think it is just another 3rd gen slow ass Trans Am. he-he-he

John Pearcy has been 180+ mph in his TTA with no stability problems. These cars are flat awesome.

Originally posted by 87grandnat
all im saying is that the sti is ugly japanesse crap, is the perfomance good? yeah, for to much money but it is good, every one is bashing me because im speaking my opion on the fact that i dont like it and wouldnt buy a foreign car. if you cats like it thats fine but i dont and i wont, could it beat my gn stock to stock yeah it probably would but around were i live (DFW) if you pull up to the park to play ball with your boys in a gn or anywere for that matter, heads turn, then come the oohhs and aahhs. but driving anywere in a sti (around hear) all youd get is turns from 15 year old teens in civics or asked "why did you buy that ugly as ride?" that is all that im saying. And to the dumbass that told me to go check my produce, me working produce is paying my way trough college and for me to work on my gn. (when is the hatting ever gonna end?)

Yup! I'm that dumb ass. Having an opinion is great and sharing divers points of view have value, the above post was the first decent post you made! Your past posts are the reason this board has degraded recently. My point is you're too narrow minded. Get over the fact that the car is not a domestic product and appriciate the fact that SOMEBODY is still making performace cars and appriciate that instead of what badge it wears.

The produce comment was uncalled for and I apoligize. I believe in "Fast with Class" and it hasn't been displayed in the thread.

Frank

Originally posted by TT/A1233
I'm going to assume you've never been in a 1989 Turbo Trans Am. I've been in a lot of cars and the TTA is in it's own league. There's simply nothing on the road that compares to it short of something EXOTIC. Acceleration, skidpad, breaking, it has it all....and it's a domestic American made car. I miss mine with a vengeance. Did I mention high 12's with a chip and a little more boost? Is there any downside?....

Launch 1
Launch 2
Launch 3

Race 1
Race 2

Race 3

I have not been for a ride. The TTA, hands down is an amazing car, in fact the first car to ever be a pace car without needing any modifications.

I do have 4 friends in the local area that have TTA's and John P. lives just down the street from me. But I've never had the chance to go for a ride.

Frank

hey tt/a1233 not to get off topic (what is the topic?) but whats the skid pad on a tta and any other performance numbers?

Numbers are fluid but these were put up in 1989 with Gatorbacks and in stock form:
0-60: 5.5 sec
1/4 mile: 13.5 sec
60-0: 139'
roadholding: 0.86g
weight/hp: 13.4:1

Obviously these #'s would be much better today with good tires. My TTA went 0-60 in 4.87 seconds and 1/4 mile 12.93. All I did was; chip, no cat, downpipe, more boost, Firestone Firehawk radials.

I've been in a lot of cars and the TTA is in it's own league. There's simply nothing on the road that compares to it short of something EXOTIC.

The TTA is one sweet ride.... but there are quite a few cars, well below exotic prices, that will compare to and surpass the TTA. But for 1989, it didn't get any better!

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but you can find a nice TTA today for @ $15,000. If you want to do low 12's or tickle 11's toss another $1,000 at it and you're there. So for $16,000 or so you can have a very quick, superbly handling daily driver that'll give you decent mileage and take you to 170mph. And you can retain the turbo rush and Buick roots. What a combo!

I certainly agree, although I'm more of a GN man, myself. ;)
My reference was more new vs. new (i.e. TTA in 1989 compared to LS1/LS6/Cobra/STi/etc in todays' market). It's not as valid to compare prices between new and used cars. You're obviously going to spend a lot less money when buying and modding a used car. When it comes to best bang-for-your-buck in the used car market, it doesn't get much better than the TR and TTA!

dude dont make me wish i woulda got a tta over my gn, your making this car seem to good to be true, how did the gn compare to the tta?

"Numbers are fluid but these were put up in 1989 with Gatorbacks and in stock form:
0-60: 5.5 sec
1/4 mile: 13.5 sec
60-0: 139'
roadholding: 0.86g
weight/hp: 13.4:1"

Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Base Price : $30,995
Engine : 4 cyl. turbo, 300 hp, 300 lb-ft
0-60 mph : 4.7 sec.
0-¼ mile : 13.2 seconds @ 104.0 mph
60-0 braking distance : 114 ft
200 ft skidpad : 0.90 g