Wrx

Originally posted by 87grandnat
no syhopeful us domestic guys arent stupid we would take the nsx but we would just sell it for something better, my choice would be a new zo6.

Ahhh the Z06, I've raced 'em, beat 'em (in the GN) But man 'o man would I love to own one. That's an amazing/sexy car.

and on!

Originally posted by SyHopeful
The ignorance in this thread from both sides seriously amazes me. We have the WRX fanboys like I eat Z06 who would argue how the STi is superior to a Top Fuel rail because it has AWD, to the hardcore "pushrods for life" domestic boys that would pick a Gremlin over an NSX because it was built to last, boy howdy!

Christ.

I find myself arguing milder forms of both of the above...that's why I have to own a GN and a WRX.... or more generally, a vehicle that has incredible all weather and dry handling, cargo space, is quick, etc and then a vehicle that goes like stinck straight! In my eyes, it is the ultimate vehicle that combines the best of both of these worlds...and it usually takes mega-bucks to get there. Generally, the fastest (Cobra, GN, Z06, etc) aren't your best friends in a wintery mix. On the other hand, Your AWD enthusiast cars, (S4, WRX, Evo, etc) are going to get beat by the drag strip beasts in ideal conditions. So, it will take something like a new 911 turbo or better to win in both worlds... then again, you'd have people complaining about that car's price in comparrison to a GN or other American iron, and this kind of bickering would go on forever. So, factoring in this price variable into the equation my personal nod would have to go to the STi or Evo for "best" affordable car. This arguement changes significantly if you live in a climate that affords you dry warm weather most of the time.

Originally posted by 87grandnat
yes it is, but ill have my gn beating them someday.

My first exposure to a '02 Z06 was during a local club dyno day and most of the Z06's only put down 350HP and 350TQ. My Buick was pretty close to stock, with just a catback system 40lbs injectors, boost turned up and some other stuff. No where near where I'm at today and my little V6 put down 450+ tq and almost 400hp. The Z06 crowd didn't even know what a Grand National was!:eek:

Today the black brick is at 570tq and 433hp! Would have loved to have them see those numbers, coming from a V6...

Thats why i love FL, sunshine most of the year. No storage for the GN, and i get to drive it everyday!

Scott

Originally posted by ViciousV6
Well said! Although, I wouldn't take an STi over my Cobra unless it snowed all year :D
Guys ,Guys ,Guys,...you would have to be hittin the pipe pretty hard(like a long weekend) to chose the STI over the 03 Cobra,,and if you do Get off the Real Mans board and go play with Scobby and friends....

This thread NEEDS to be LOCKED :D :D :D

Flame suit on,,come summer I will be hunting Scobby,I'll give you a 2sec head start......just email me

Originally posted by ez at nova
I find myself arguing milder forms of both of the above...that's why I have to own a GN and a WRX.... or more generally, a vehicle that has incredible all weather and dry handling, cargo space, is quick, etc and then a vehicle that goes like stinck straight! In my eyes, it is the ultimate vehicle that combines the best of both of these worlds...and it usually takes mega-bucks to get there. Generally, the fastest (Cobra, GN, Z06, etc) aren't your best friends in a wintery mix. On the other hand, Your AWD enthusiast cars, (S4, WRX, Evo, etc) are going to get beat by the drag strip beasts in ideal conditions. So, it will take something like a new 911 turbo or better to win in both worlds... then again, you'd have people complaining about that car's price in comparrison to a GN or other American iron, and this kind of bickering would go on forever. So, factoring in this price variable into the equation my personal nod would have to go to the STi or Evo for "best" affordable car. This arguement changes significantly if you live in a climate that affords you dry warm weather most of the time.

Well I am not worried how well my toy handles in the snow. My car is in the garage when it's cold out. If you have a Cobra ,and have to drive it all year long then you should not own a car like that. I would sell my T-type before I see that car driven in the winter. Then your second comment about the mod motor. I can expect from a person that has never been inside a DOHC mod motor. The motor is incredible. When you show me a STI that makes over 800whp ,and over 1200 ftlbs of torque on a stock long block then talk to me.

For the most part I agree with you; I love the Evo and STi for the fact that they have great performance and also some useful utility for a pricetag that doesn't put a huge strain on the wallet. Hell, I would love to have one if I could afford them!

I just disagree with some of the WRX owners on here who have all but said that it's the best car EVAR MADE and that you are an idiot for buying anything else.

And I also love domestic iron, hell I own a GN (obviously), but I'm not so brand loyal and blinded by the bandwagon patriotism that has gripped our country since 9/11 that I can't appreciate imports like the Evo and STi and what they are capable of.

87grandnat: Yeah, I'd choose a Z06 over an NSX anyday too :p but you missed my point.

It's funny because the Cobra isn't in this picture
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article...article_id=1105
It's also funny because it wasn't in Car and Driver's running for 10 best. Seems people with a head on their shoulders respect a car for more than dyno #'s and 1/4 mile times.

(sorry vicious and others who were playing nice...I figured with all this idiocy - if you can't beat 'em, join em)

No apology needed.... everyone is entitled to their opinion. However..... ;) Anyone basing their car enthusiasm on the reports of R&T or C&D need have their head examined. Those magazines are such corporate whores, it's rediculous! Whatever car is new at the time gets their votes, and the foreign cars seem to be spending more advertising dollars. Yes, they tend to look a little more towards well-rounded cars, but that is the same magazine that ruled the M5 the winner in a (and I quote) "all-out performance war" versus the Z06. The Vette beat the Bimmer in every catagory outside of grocery carrying capacity, but the M5 was ruled the winner b/c of being more useful and (I quote again) "who really straps on a helment everyday and hits the track". Ummmm..... didn't they call it an all-out performance war? What the hell does backseat room have to do with performance?!

R&T Readers Choice awards? And the remaining finalists are:

A Subie? A BMW? A Mazda? A Nissan 350Z? And a Porsche 911?

C'mon guys... whoever wants to use this particular article for evidence that the Cobra (or the Vette, or the Viper, etc) are not nearly as worthy cars needs some serious therapy.

And besides that, how in the world can ANYone compare the Porsce and BMW in the same category as the Nissan, Mazda and the Subie?

Get real... :rolleyes:

R&T - like any other magazine - is NOT the real world.

Being a fan of new and old musclecars, I would have to say this whole discusssion has gotten pretty silly at times.

Comparing the STi to the Cobra is an apple and oranges thing.

The STi is a 4 cylinder engine pumped up with modern turbo charging technology. Subaru also made sure it had very good handling thanks to independant front and rear suspension and oustanding brakes. The STi was meant to provide a somewhat fast car with excellent overall handling with todays technology.

The Mustang uses a bigger engine not working as hard and a live rear axle. The fox body platform is not too modern either. While the engine is more modern, the rear end is basically low tech. That's how the Mustang enthusiasts like it. Their emphasis is mostly towards straight line acceleration. In fact, that is still the case. At least now it has a more modern live rear axle (in the soon to be released Mustang) . As is the case most of the time, the bigger displacement engine gives bigger hp gains when modified compared to a turbo four cylinder.

Maybe the question should be what do YOU want in a car. If you want a car that can out-accelerate most cars and handle very good in stock form, the STi is the car for you (it seems).

If you want a more modern muscle car of yor, the Mustang fits the bill nicely. You can mod it and get good to wicked power from it n/a, with a turbo or centrifugal SC for not a lot of money. Want a corner carver? It can be done, but be prepared to drop some money and fight the downside of the yestertech used.

Both are good cars, but they are built to meet different ideas of affordable performance. Is this so hard to understand?

Actueally the new Cobras is a four wheel independent suspension also..

The Mustang uses a bigger engine not working as hard and a live rear axle. The fox body platform is not too modern either. While the engine is more modern, the rear end is basically low tech. That's how the Mustang enthusiasts like it. Their emphasis is mostly towards straight line acceleration. In fact, that is still the case. At least now it has a more modern live rear axle (in the soon to be released Mustang) . As is the case most of the time, the bigger displacement engine gives bigger hp gains when modified compared to a turbo four cylinder.
? [/B]

It's funny because the Cobra isn't in this picture
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=7&article_id=1105
It's also funny because it wasn't in Car and Driver's running for 10 best. Seems people with a head on their shoulders respect a car for more than dyno #'s and 1/4 mile times.

(sorry vicious and others who were playing nice...I figured with all this idiocy - if you can't beat 'em, join em)

What does that article mean?? It's known that alot of imports make good power. I think you are missing the point. I don't think anyone is saying that STI is a bad car ,but if you want a PERFORMANCE car then hands down a Cobra would be a better choice between the two. The STI is a nice car ,but come on. I know you own a WRX ,and you like you car ,but take the shades off. I love my car too ,but I can tell the truth. Have you ever driven a STI? The car is loud ,and the rides sucks in the car. The Cobra in my opinion rides alot better ,and yes I have driven them both. How much do you have invested in your car? A stock Cobra makes more power than your car modded. I am not trying to bash you or your car ,but that is just a example of how potient these car are.

Syhopeful: I dont think the STi is better than a top fuel dragster b/c it has AWD. I think that my $11,000 GN with $12,000 in aftermarket parts is better than the STi. I just like AWD and lots of power 12 months a year (Michigan). Right now the buick is seeing the inside of a car cover, and the STi is covered in snow.
Boost1: are you talking performance in a straigt line or with turns involved? On a road course the Cobra would not have a chance against a stock STi. It would proably run identical times as a WRX. With $500 into a SVT and STi the Cobra would eat up the STi at the drag strip. The WRX is close to 800hp, Easystreet motorsports make 740whp out of a WRX (non STi) motor, it also has a full interior. The AWD vehicles are not meant to be straight 1/4 mile monsters (that is what the GN is for :D ), they are twisty monsters. But they still give respectable (low 13's stock) 1/4 mile times. Here is a link to a good/funny WRX wagon vs. Camaro 1/4 mile video. http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43331 . I THINK that the STi is the best all around car that you can buy new right now.

Nick

Originally posted by I eat Z06
Syhopeful: I dont think the STi is better than a top fuel dragster b/c it has AWD. I think that my $11,000 GN with $12,000 in aftermarket parts is better than the STi. I just like AWD and lots of power 12 months a year (Michigan). Right now the buick is seeing the inside of a car cover, and the STi is covered in snow.
Boost1: are you talking performance in a straigt line or with turns involved? On a road course the Cobra would not have a chance against a stock STi. It would proably run identical times as a WRX. With $500 into a SVT and STi the Cobra would eat up the STi at the drag strip. The WRX is close to 800hp, Easystreet motorsports make 740whp out of a WRX (non STi) motor, it also has a full interior. The AWD vehicles are not meant to be straight 1/4 mile monsters (that is what the GN is for :D ), they are twisty monsters. But they still give respectable (low 13's stock) 1/4 mile times. Here is a link to a good/funny WRX wagon vs. Camaro 1/4 mile video. http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43331 . I THINK that the STi is the best all around car that you can buy new right now.

Nick

Well as I stated before. I would not be worried about how my car handles in the snow. My car is in the garage when the snow hit. I know some people are into driving fast ,and turning ,but not me, and that 740hp EJ20 you are talking about is a built motor car. I am talking about a car with a stock long block. That long block in the Cobra is a bullet proof motor. Ok I will say it this way. If I was going to buy a car that I had to drive all year long then STI would my choice ,but since I do not have to drive my car all year long my choice would be a Cobra ,and dollar for dollar mods you cannot beat the 03 Cobra.

Originally posted by I eat Z06

Boost1: are you talking performance in a straigt line or with turns involved? On a road course the Cobra would not have a chance against a stock STi. It would proably run identical times as a WRX.
Nick

I have to disagree entirely with this statement - unless the 'road course' is OFF road.

On a track like Willow Springs or Sears Point, the STi will not embarrass the Cobra at all and I would willingly put my money on the Cobra and gladly take yours. What slight advantage the STi might have in traction, the Cobra can more than make up for with HP and torque dependent upon the length of the straights. And if you want to use the Hot Rod article as proof that the STi would 'embarrass' the Cobra, please don't - that article does not have a shred of validity when it comes to the true performance potential of the Cobra. :rolleyes:

Now if you're talking about running in the Baja or the Paris/Dakar rally, then you won't see a Cobra there. But who cares about rallying anyhow? ;) Real men run on asphalt.

To each his own - they're both great cars. But if ANYone thinks the STi is even close to being an equal to an '03 Cobra then that person obviously doesn't know anything about performance cars.

But you know what? We can all beat this subject till the cows come home and I won't convince you and you certainly won't convince me. Enjoy your STi's and WRX's all you can and be happy. Just be real careful if you line up against a Cobra because you WILL get your ass handed to you, STi or not. :)