0.63 housing vs 0.82 on a te44

chiken

DUDE NICE MONTE!
my te44 has a 0.63 housing. what is the advantage of the .082. is this something that is worth having??? can you change housings to .082?

The beauty of a 44 is that it's small (relatively, in the grand scheme of things) and spools quickly. Why would you want to put a huge old piggy exhaust housing on it? Besides, a 44 supports 580 HP all on its lonesome, and can go 10's.

:)

I changed to a .82 housing on a 63-1 last year and noted a big difference in lag when footbraking. However, when you use a transbrake, the lag is not a factor. The .82 flows much better. I agree with strike eagle. The 44 will take you well into the low 11's if you have everything else to support it.
Good Luck

Stick with the .63 housing. If you have a Garrett .63 housing you might consider upgrading to the PTE .63 housing. The housings are easy to change too.

Originally posted by rastaz
Stick with the .63 housing. If you have a Garrett .63 housing you might consider upgrading to the PTE .63 housing. The housings are easy to change too.

If you want a PTE .63 housing, I have one I will trade for your Garrett. Came off a customer's TE-44.

I think TurboDave runs one on his 44. You could get some info. out of him most likely.

personally I like the .82 housing. with at least a 2800 stall it spools fine and it gives a lot more on the top end. My old combo was a 44 with 82 housing and I have been in a few other 44 cars with the 63 housing and the 82 definitly pulls more on the top end. it takes a little more fuel of course and like I mentioned more stall but there are a lot of guys running 44's with the stock converter 2800 with the 82 is better than that I know. as far as times I feel it is probably .1-.15 in ETand 2-3MPH over the small housing

MY .02

Every time I've asked JC about a .82 housing on a turbo he responded something like, 'Do you have a 270+ inch motor?'

Good by me...

Originally posted by Nick Micale

If you want a PTE .63 housing, I have one I will trade for your Garrett. Came off a customer's TE-44.

what is the diiference between mine and the pte?

PTE advertises the .63 and .82 housings on their site as a high efficeincy design so i would think that would mean they flow well and also spool quickly and are therefore more "efficient". the garrett might just be not as efficient as the PTE.

Chiken,

Take Nick up on his offer! The PTE .63 is an excellent cross between a stock .63 and a PTE .82 given your turbo. I am a big TA49 fan and use the PTE.63 on my Ltd. and GN and will do the same with the Mazda.

Hank

Strikeagle,

Stock turbos with the .63 Garret are getting close to a 'dime a dozen'. I must be missing something here as I don't understand your concern. Am I sitting on a gold mind?:)

The.82 are tough to find as far as I know but not the stock .63.

Hank

nick, sounds good. i will get ahold of you. (im at work right now so i have to call/email later).

I guess question was garret vs PTE .63 housing.I've seen both and the PTE looks like a ported/flowed housing.And would lend itself to a horsepower inprovement.

The big deal on the exhuast housings is this....the size of the puck hole.If you run an external wastegate the hole will be approx 1.5 inches in diameter.If you run a stock elbow..about an inch and a THDP 1.25 inches.

So if you get a PTE exhuast housing thats got a stock 1 inch hole..no problem with any downpipe/wastegate scenarios..if you get one with the 1 1/2 hole..then can only use an external wastegate.And once the whole is opened up...cant go smaller.

Now whats getting hard to find are flat,straight,unmodified,no stripped holes, garret .63 housings....but who care's unless your restoring.

HTH

"Strikeagle,

Stock turbos with the .63 Garret are getting close to a 'dime a dozen'. I must be missing something here as I don't understand your concern. Am I sitting on a gold mind?

The.82 are tough to find as far as I know but not the stock .63.

Hank"

Ask Nick...