You can type here any text you want

02 sensor cleaning?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

v8zcar

Isn't there anyway to clean an 02 sensor safely? I know what NOT to do, but there has to be something out there...

Owen

There is no way to clean one.

The inner element runs at 850dC. It uses that heat to percolate off contaminates, hopefully keep globules of crude from sticking to it.

Your best measures for a long life, are just not running excessively richer then needed, and giving it a moment to heat up before firing the engine. Silicone will kill one quickly.

Unfortunately, that's the answer I was expecting

Oh well...I was just worried about my O2 cuz I'm running rich during my initial learning curve on starting the engine and getting it to idle.

I read about letting the O2 heat up a while too, read it on the DIY-WB O2 site, too bad the info wasn't in the FAST manual or anything since we depend on the O2 a lot.

How long should I let it heat up? There's just those days that I don't have time to warm the car (I have a pressurized Canton Racing Accusump to prime the oil before starting).

Thanks,
Owen

Re: Unfortunately, that's the answer I was expecting

Originally posted by v8zcar
I was just worried about my O2 cuz I'm running rich during my initial learning curve on starting the engine and getting it to idle.

I read about letting the O2 heat up a while too, read it on the DIY-WB O2 site, too bad the info wasn't in the FAST manual or anything since we depend on the O2 a lot.

How long should I let it heat up?

Getting the idle right should only be a few mins work.
Take notes, and really pay attention to what the engine is telling you.

The O2 is a tuning aid, and is nothing to be counted on, IMO. It like everything else is subject to failure, total reliance on it can lead to a total malfunction. You need to be able to read plugs and enderstand tuning.

30 secs should be a good enough head start.

Back