.030 gap ok?

T

Turboaddict

my plug gauge's lowest gap is .030 Is it ok to use that instead of .032?

That's getting a bit low. It's ok if you really have to, but try a .033 first. Gas mileage suffers as you shorten the gap...

Ok I see what you ar4e doing, you still have that part throttle knock-right?

Did you try toulene? If is still knocks with the toulene, chances you are have a bad motor mount, or are hitting the frame. I know that the plugs are a good try, but I'm used to them fixing knock at high boost levels. (Flame blowing out) If the plugs do fix the problen, then that would tell me that you are running lean, at the bottom. (you would not be burning up as much of the fuel, with the tighter gap) If you are running rich at the bottom, you will spool really well. (but I'm not familiar with the turbo you are using, so that could be wrong)

I guess you might as well try the plugs, and then see what happens...:)

Originally posted by Turbo__Tim
If you are running rich at the bottom, you will spool really well. (but I'm not familiar with the turbo you are using, so that could be wrong)

I'm gonna disagree on the basis of rich would mean lower EGT's and slower spool, but of course, I could be wrong.

well the main reason I wanted to shorten the gap(have it at .035 now) is to prevent the flame from blowing out at high boost not to solve my partial throttle knock.

My downpipe is hitting the frame. Or you could say it is rubbing it. I also think I do have a bad motor mount as I tested it by power braking with the hood open so I can see the engine flip. And it does move as I give it more gas. So that could be part of my knock. I definitely get knock at the shifts so its gotta be a motor mount. Time to get a poly motor mount from HR.

As far as gap setting for plugs goes, when someone says gap to a tight .035 does that mean that there is some drag when you pass the feeler gauge through the plug gap? or should the gauge go through with very less drag? thanks.

Mikel, I'm using a TE51 turbo.

Mikel, actually we are both right! :) Richening will lower egt's, if you are running lean. If you richen too much, the unburned gas will turn the headers red!

Lowering timing at launch serves to richen the gases going into the exhaust, and does in fact aid spool up. There is a good thread on this in the tech. section.

Turboaddict, the 51 spools ok with a 3,000 convertor. A little slow with a d-5, but not too bad. The high end charge is well worth it. Sounds like you are well ofn the way! :) Let us know how things are going.