? 0n shims on comp 980 springs

onefastgn

Will i need to use .40 shims in place of the old oil shields when changing over to comp 980 valve springs to get them back to stock height. I see that some have and some have not used the oil shields on 980 springs. Which is the correct way to do this. i just don't want to have to redo them again.
If so then why.....
If not then why.....

Thanks

No factory shields on the 980 springs. They have an internal dampner where the factory spring does not. you will have to use a .030 and a .015 shim.
I think they are a 203 part number. usually .015 to get your 1.725 installed height. what retainers are you using? .040 seems like alot unless your valves are sunk. Steve

No factory shields on the 980 springs. They have an internal dampner where the factory spring does not. you will have to use a .030 and a .015 shim.
I think they are a 203 part number. usually .015 to get your 1.725 installed height. what retainers are you using? .040 seems like alot unless your valves are sunk. Steve
I am using the 742's retainers. So if i understand you correctly i will need to shim them to .015. I just used a gage to check the thickness of the cups that were removed and they were .040, so i thought i should use the same thickness shim to replace the cups that were removed. have you done the same?
Thanks

Use an installed height checker. There is no amount of guessing that will make it correct.

All done and i wanted to say thanks to Steve ( Thessman ) for all the help over the phone. It runs great. I tested a few of the old springs and they were anywhere from 10lbs to 15lbs out of factory spec. I did add a 0.015 shim to all springs to get them close to the 1.700 installed height on the 980 comp springs. They are only 0.010 out. But like Steve said that's only 3 lbs for every 0.010. Pulls alot harder on top end. I also added my old set of heavy duty rocker arms and shaft to help hold things together under higher RPM. All i can say is the back R/H too are a bitch to change. But i modified the spring tool by taking off the top handle and welding on a 13/16th nut to the top and was able to reach both back springs with no problem. Thanks again Steve for the help, and everyone elses comments.;)