1-2 shift problem

K

kevin

i put in a rebuilt tranny from gm and used my 3000 stall.the prob is at light aceleration it shifts fine,at wot it doesnt shift good at all.it falls into 2 not very snappy.when adj. the tv cable like it suppose to be done it slips.i had to pull the cable out almost all the way.gm covers all labor in fixing it but i have to put the converter that came with tranny in it before i take it to them or it voids warranty.just thought i'd ask if there is something i can look at before i put the other converter in.thanks

My transmission is doing a similar thing -- 1-2 shift won't happen unless I let off the gas. Then it bangs into 2. I am going to try adjusting the TV cable out a notch at a time till I find a happy medium between shift rpm and shift firmness. I tried the "almost all the way out" extreme adjustment and it would shift 1-2 but very sloppy. So hopefully there is a middle adjustment...

I wonder if the transmission will be hurt by adjusting the TV cable so loose? I have all sorts of pressure in my tranny (~260psi) so bleeding off a little with the TV adjusted loose shouldn't cause my clutchs to burn -- should it?

Kevin, If I were faced with your scenario, I'd get a line pressure test performed. The transmission may have an internal pump problem preventing it from keeping the line pressure up at elevated rpms.

Fred, is your transmission equipped with the proper BRF valve body and governor? Sounds like a mismatch perhaps.

i would replace the 2cnd gear servo with one of the updated billet ones that will usually help a borderline 1-2 problem

Greg -- it is a BRF valve body as far as I know -- nice BRF tag on the outside of the transmission. I don't know how to tell if the VB is a BRF unit other than that.

I tried moving the TV cable about today. Moved it two, then three, then four clicks in (looser) and the shifts softened up a tiny bit (which is OK) but they still would not occur at WOT. At least I did not have the desire to blow up my engine trying to see if it would shift:eek:

So I am guessing that either the governor spring has fallen out or that I need to add weight to the governor (weld beads) to compensate for my impressive flow and pressure improvements since the rebuild.

Any other ideas?

trans shifts

i am having the same problem thats why i have not drivin mine sine the rebuild i do not trust it with that much motor at stake i can just kick it down a gear and the r's go way the heck up there and i usually let out the tv cable is set like gm says take the butterfley and hit it then get in the car and jam it to the floor and still i have no shift till i let out but if it goes into 3 talk about unreal :D but if anyone has any ideas please post i am debaiting on getting a goodwrench (box) and new torque converter and shift kit and start fresh but if there is a way to correct this one please do tell

i rebuilt my trans using the pump parts available from PERFORMANCE TRANSMISSION (.500 tv valve and .300 1-2 valve, trans go shift kit and billet servo
and this thing shifts so unreal that i have my cable adjusted
almost 2/3 of the way out fom the back and it shifts perfect, it will
even chirp 3rd gear at full throttle!! before these mods i had to pull my cable all the way back tto get it to shift good
just my 2 cents

Kevin,
My rebuilt tranny is doing the exact same thing as yours, maybe whoever solves this mystery first can tell the others what the heck the problem is and how to fix it. Feel free to e-mail me if you learn anything about it. Spectre5050@yahoo.com

Bruce,
I would bring my silly car to you if I could but it looks like are in Cali. That's too far for this Florida boy to go. I will however give you my Grandmas recipe for steamed liver if you will tell me where to start troubleshooting . - BB:p

"Kevin, If I were faced with your scenario, I'd get a line pressure test performed. The transmission may have an internal pump problem preventing it from keeping the line pressure up at elevated rpms.

Fred, is your transmission equipped with the proper BRF valve body and governor? Sounds like a mismatch perhaps.

Greg Friend "

Buick beginner, do this to start
after that we will talk.

Turbo toy..... You got other issues... .. Define more and give history please...

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSnctb.com

other issues??

the only problem i am haveing is the same as the rest at a high rpm or wot it will not go to 2nd till you let off on normal driving it shifts fine but really soft but all the gears are there and u feel the shifts after the car makes second it is fine it will go a 7.99 1/8 after it makes 2nd i was told possible a band or weak pump not making proper pressure for that high of rpm . and being new to the turbo fun and have blown up the turbo on an 84 GN not wanting to press it too hard due to i know it has to have a problem there like pulling away and merging in traffic if you don't let out the r's just climbthen let out a little makes 2 and goes on ?? trans was just redone again underwarranty after breaking a thrust washer any answers will be helpful

i tried ajusting the tv cable it is pulled almost all the way back,if you push it in at all it shfts very soft and tries to slip,i'm testing the pressure tonight ,let you know

Someone will probably argue this but there is only one setting for the TV cable & that is adjust the cable TIGHT at WOT.

Jim