10 second drag radial car...

By the time you have that much in a trans I would think a 4L80e starts looking like a pretty good way to spend some scratch.
Billet input, billet od planetary , billet shaft forward drum, cutting the places to put in bearings and the blueprint assembly. Then a converter adds up fast.
Th400 is just so much cheaper and easier, and will out last the 2004r as a bonus. By the time you figure out how much you actually drive the car it starts looking pretty good.

Its about 4 grand to build it right. Or is it more these days?
Exactly that's why I went th400 built from ck performance 5 yrs ago still going strong , and put the 4,000 toward buying a forged rotating assembly n Rjc girdle still going strong in the tens at 3800 lbs full weight . :) with Trans break launches everytime I race it

Imo I wouldn't even think about a 2004r in the 9's, can it be done? ..of course.. will it be expensive? you bet.., can it live for long?.. depends on passes and street heat beatings, it will give out a lot sooner then the 400, at that level your much better off with a th400.....4l80 would be even more $$$ then the 200..

Don't forget the converter too. There's about a grand.

The 4l80 will be more than a 200 but look at what you are getting. A 400 with overdrive, and a trans that can handle any future horsepower upgrade that you could think of going in your Buick. Even if you decide to ditch the V6 and go LS you are ready. The one time dollar drop on the 4l80 will pay dividends on the multiple freshen ups / rebuilds of a 200. I know that I and many others have fell prey to not having their trans built correctly the first time only to rebuild it again to fail the 3rd the time. Everybody knows someone with a 200 sitting on the floor broke.

Sounds like the 200 is only good for 10s reliability.. I just hate to lose overdrive. And the cost for 4l80e you need another computer to control it. If I am wrong please sent me straight. And thanks for the feed back:)

The 200 will hold 9s. It's all about how you drive the car and how well you maintain those items. Yes a 4l80 will be more reliable for 9s. But so would a v8 so why build a v6?

There are 200's in the the 9's and the one builder that I am familiar with gives excellent prices on freshening up his trans. About the controller, there are options, my first twin turbo car has Big Stuff 3 with the provisions to control the trans. The only upgrade I would like to play with is paddle shifters. The trans can be configured for full manual operation and not require a computer. TCI 's controller is about $700 and there was another company that could do it for $500. I bet by now some one has taken a stock computer from a LS vehicle and use only whats needed to control the trans for the ultimate bang for the buck. 4l80 can be had in the $200 range if you catch them early in the u pull it yards, later years are better. Depending on how much power you are making now, it wouldn't take much in the upgrade dept. in parts or money to handle 10 second power. My biggest hang up was converter technology ( stall speed) , it had to catch up to the power potential of the trans, but I have been reassured and plan on getting my converter in the next few weeks to get that car back on the road. In a few years we will be putting 6 and 8l80e behind the motors also. Read up on it in the trans section here on the board, great info.

Thanks for the great info! The truth is I don't even know how much power I will be making. My new build is 109 .30 over all forged girdled gn1 race port with stock ported intake 214/214 fast ramp and 64-66 .. So if the 200r4 can handle that I will stay with it. Also it is a street car 95% of the time and it is not a daily driver. Probably should have said that to give you guys a idea of how it is used and I don't beat on it all the time.

Thanks for the great info! The truth is I don't even know how much power I will be making. My new build is 109 .30 over all forged girdled gn1 race port with stock ported intake 214/214 fast ramp and 64-66 .. So if the 200r4 can handle that I will stay with it. Also it is a street car 95% of the time and it is not a daily driver. Probably should have said that to give you guys a idea of how it is used and I don't beat on it all the time.
You will be fine with a stage 2 or 3 Extreme Automatics 200 then...

I think what needs to be done first, is you explain what your budget is....... then ask if you have enough with what you currently have to make it happen. I will tell you from experience, don't cut corners when building your car. I can't tell you how many times it has bit me in the ass, and then costs you double to fix it after it's busted.