You can type here any text you want

109 build

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

oliver12

i think im going to start a 109 build. any one know where i can get a good block near michigan? or a known good builder? any machine shops in mi. that specialize in these? or do i save up and get the t/a block?

Take a look at Weber Performance . com. They are not in Michigan but can take care of your needs all the way down to the block. GL!

thank you i looked on their website, is it me or are they a bit expensive ? seems like the t/a block for what they want

It's a Buick, not a cheby. Good Buick builders aren't cheap but a cheby can be slapped together in the dirt and run for a while. I've actually seen it done too.:eek:

The TA block is completely bare. I don't believe it is even machined. If you buy a Weber engine, it is all guaranteed, rebuilt with the correct tolerances, new connecting rods, crank is fresh, pistons are new, and they have years of experience on their belt.. So I have heard.

i only want to do it once im thinking mid to high tens. i really want to destroy my friends 2007 vette. not sure which route. i figured im in no hurry and its gonna be expensive so i can save up.

Yeah, it gets expensive with any builder. Especially when you deal with a VERY GOOD builder. I think mine was priced fair. I have seen others charge alot more than what I paid. The important thing is to stay with a good BUICK builder. Preferably a vendor!

i guess im looking for a good fair priced builder. you would think id be able to find one since i live near where the cars were built?

I went with Weber. I'll contradict my statement by saying this, but you can take it to a good machine shop and tell him you want specific clearances. They'll try to give you Cheby specs but if you can have them follow your instructions you'll be fine. Do some more researching there are more. Arizona GN ( Nick Mcale) is a known vendor.

Nick at AZ GN is a very good choice, is often on the board giving advice and help, there are also a few for sale in the for sale section of this board. John (johnplogii) has one for sale on this board, he is very consistent in the low 9 and is a wealth of knowledge. Hell i bought a fully built stage II that for less then webber sell short block for.

Edit: deals occasionally pop up you just have to search and be ready to pull the trigger

i appreciate it yeah weber seemed a little high i figured i could get something for a decent price mid 10's is reasonable.

When you buy used be ready to get dirty. You must make sure you are getting what you pay for. I thought really long and hard about going that route, ended up going new because now I know what I got and don't have to second guess on what's in it or how it was built. I had the exact goal as you, MID 10's. With that being said, you should build it for an et of 9.9 ~10.5 then it will live. Once you do that any builder you choose will get expensive because they will tell you to run forged internals. Don't get me wrong, I see guys in the 9's on stock stuff but for how long? There are alot of ways to skin this cat. Choose the best based on your budget. GL!

The question here is what to you think a reasonable price is for a 10 second engine? With the right heads, cam and all the goodies you can very easily spend $5K on just the parts. It depends on how you want to do it of course. The info's on the board so it sounds like you need to do some searching for the parts you want. Also remember that the tranny will need rebuilding to hold up to that kind of power so there's a few more $ you need to look at.

The question here is what to you think a reasonable price is for a 10 second engine? With the right heads, can and all the goodies you can very easily spend $5K on just the parts. It depends on how you want to do it of course. The info's on the board so it sounds like you need to do some searching for the parts you want. Also remember that the tranny will need rebuilding to hold up to that kind of power so there's a few more $ you need to look at.
This is no lie! I'll give you a clue... Motor (intake to oil pan), converter and trans, I'm around 12K!o_O My builder tells me I'm good up until 9.9 et, just because I don't have a girdle. This is not counting all the supporting mods!! It cost to go fast the right way.

guess i'm one of the lucky ones,

fresh stage II new piston and rods magged bms crank
intake to oil pan, with Dutt style oil pump, and balancer $6500
new jw flywheel on ebay out of cert $100
new CK stage 2 all billet parts $1650
XFI $1100
total $9350

all im missing is converter,

if you dont mind getting dirty and looking around there are deals out there that will more than meet your goal.

Thanks
Dave

guess i'm one of the lucky ones,

fresh stage II new piston and rods magged bms crank
intake to oil pan, with Dutt style oil pump, and balancer $6500
new jw flywheel on ebay out of cert $100
new CK stage 2 all billet parts $1650
XFI $1100
total $9350

all im missing is converter,

if you dont mind getting dirty and looking around there are deals out there that will more than meet your goal.

Thanks
Dave
Yeah, you are one of the REAL LUCKY ones. That build will double in price if it were built new!

Yeah, you are one of the REAL LUCKY ones. That build will double in price if it were built new!

Yea, the seller original asking price for the motor was 11.5K which is less then his original investment in the motor, he stated lowering the price month after month, until after 8 months i ask for his rock bottom price which was $6500, so there out there just have to be patient and ready to jump when your made an offer you cant refuse:D

Back