You can type here any text you want

11 Disappearing features on today's cars

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

fast86gn

Texas Moderator
Staff member
1. Manual Transmissions
2. Keys
3. Crank windows
4. Antenna's
5. Hand brake
6. Bias-ply tires
7. Bench Seats
8. Hardtop conv.
9. 85 mph Speedo
10. Spare Tire
11. Vent windows

As reported by Yahoo. The one that caught my eye was #9, as TR owners we all know this one well. Here is what they had to say...

Remember the "Double Nickel?" That was the federal law passed in 1974 that prohibited speed limits higher than 55 mph as a fuel-saving measure. Five years later during the Carter administration, NHTSA required speedometers include a special emphasis on the number 55 to keep drivers focused on the legal rate and forbid them from registering a maximum speed above 85 mph. The speedometer limits didn't govern the speed of the car, though, and the 85 mph max looked pretty silly on cars like the Buick Grand National. NHTSA began rolling back the regulation in 1981 after discovering it did little to change driver behavior. Today, speedometers routinely go to 160 mph, even though the maximum allowable speed limit is less than half that.

Ok I'll admit it I changed the vehicle named from a Vette to a GN. ;)

The new cars I've seen lately don't have a actual cigarette lighter or ash tray...they have a couple power plugins for charging phones.

I would hate to see the hardtop convertible be on it's way out.. I just don't like the soft-tops personally.

A real spare tire being an option just kills me. My 2011 Mustang didn't come with one so I was going to buy one and found the recess in the trunk was never resized from 05 when they came with 17" wheels so the 19" won't even fit....... oh well it runs good.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

My '13 Challenger has no spare, the option is un-Godly priced, no ashtray, no cigarrette lighter, and you have to press the brake just to start the damn thing! But its still a blast to drive :) Oh and no vent windows :) it does have rear port windows but they don't roll down...... So is it appropriate to say "roll down the window" now since are no crank handles??? How about "push button down the window"? :D

manual transmissions aren't going anywhere. Maybe they are on the decline in the US, but not around the world

No spare tire? Why in the world would a new car not come with a spare? Space/weight savings?

No spare tire? Why in the world would a new car not come with a spare? Space/weight savings?
Exactly, looking to get into a new Malibu eco, like many new car comes with a mini inflation kit with that fix a flat shit.

Mechanical steering...gone

This is the scariest of all..."steer by wire"....trusting a sensor with ur life..lol.

It's just like the "drive by wire" for the accelerator pedal except its for the steering.

Mechanical steering...gone

This is the scariest of all..."steer by wire"....trusting a sensor with ur life..lol.

It's just like the "drive by wire" for the accelerator pedal except its for the steering.
Yep that too, had some kind of electric assists. It dose take the sharpness and and overall controlled feel away, spos carrie over into gained mpg's? Somehow?

I saw an article in a magazine at work, Electronic Design News (EDN), that said am/fm radios will be optional equipement in 5 years or less

I believe it. Don't be surprised if CD players are gone in a few yrs too...the aftermarket is already offering head units with NO CD player...uses ur iPhone, iPod, HD radio...

Speaking of stereos there isnt much future in the aftermarket.... most all cars today have integrated heater controls and now touch screen. The days of the DIN sized radio are definately numbered..

Drum Brakes
Column Shift
2 doors
RWD as a non performance car
Cars with tires under 16"
Hidden gas caps (under license plates/lights)
Personality

I have to explain to people that pre 1990 cupholders didn't exist.

One of the local gas stations has a special on Thursdays were they fill the car for you. I went to put fuel on and forgot about it and I let the attendant flounder for probably 1-2 minutes to try to find the gas cap before I felt like a jerk and went and showed him.

Back