You can type here any text you want

16 volt system

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

oldtimer

A lot of you faster stage 2 guys are running 16 volt batteries

What all is required to make this conversion from a regular 12 volt system ?

What other changes to the electrical system are required ?

What are the pros and conns of this conversion ?

Thanks for any help with this !!

George

The pros are better voltage all the time. More voltage to the injectors, especially if larger ones, fuel pump, starter ect.

The slow Buick power windows roll up real fast too...lol

I converted my car to 16v with a Sealed Turbo Start battery and a Power master single wire adjustable voltage alternator.

I dont know about upgrading the wiring, but mine has been swapped over many times chasing problems in the past. So all of my battery, ground wires are larger than stock.

The cons are the costs of the alternator and battery. I also been told that it is imperative that the "Wet" 16v batteries are kept charged at all times or they go bad. I have not heard that about the Dry cell model.

Originally posted by oldtimer ...Wouldn't a volt booster accomplish the same thing ?...
Yes, but only under boost. Also, your 12v battery will still only charge to ~12v, so power storage remains the same.

The 16V New Castle TurboStart battery will produce 14.9V at its lowest point. The dry 16V batteries are supposed to be charged monthly if not used. I have switched to 16V in the Opel because voltage drops were as low as 10.9 using a 12V battery with 140A single wire alternator. With the 16V system, my voltage drops into the high 15's at the end of the pass. The fuel pump and injectors love the high voltage. The MSD box also works well with 16V.
I do not use an alternator on the 16V system and have the capacity to make two passes without charging. I try to charge between every pass. The downside to the 16V is the cost of the battery (about $179.00) and the 16V charger (about $200). When charging the 16V system it is recommended to turn off the master switch. The charger puts out about 19V. Ther should be no modifications necessary to your electrical system. All factory components will run with 16V. If there is something voltage sensitive, a 16V/12V stepdown transformer is available.

For street use, I would question the necessity to go 16V.

Good luck.

I run a 16 volt system in my car with an alternator. You have to be careful when using an alternator because the MSD doesn't like voltages above 18 volts.

With 2 gel cel batteries in the trunk and and a Casper's volt booster, my voltage is reading 15.1v. at WOT. Good enough for me!:)

Hey, thanks guys,

a lot of good information

Nick, I was thinking myself that 2 good 12 volt batteries in parallel and a volt booster might do the job but wasn' too sure. I guess each car needs to be dialed in on it's own performance level

George

Back