You can type here any text you want

17 year old gains respect and pays hommage

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

bilt2run

My 17 year old employee has a 2000 Z-28 that he is quite proud of. It is a very clean bone stock automatic wearing silver paint. He was very curious about my latest aquisition, a stock low mileage 87 GN. After an entire day of questions about the GN Jake concluded that his car was faster. I told him he was probably correct and tried to drop the subject several times.

Well....... when we left work at about 8 PM tonight, he waited for me at the edge of the parking lot exit.... Big mistake!... I always feel that I can win (very competative)no matter what the odds. So of course I am more than willing..we pull on to the Boulevard and it is on!!

So.. we go from a 15 MPH roll. I instantly put about a car and a half on him! So excited ..... Then here he comes.. I'm slowing down.... aah ****.. almost 10 degrees of retard! He shows me the rear of his door and we keep that spacing... we were getting a bit fast so I back out.

Run two, we are almost stopped I was building boost on the brakes he says Go!!.. I do.. instantly!.. (I think he froze for a second) I pull out again by almost two and a half lengths!! Only 2 degrees of retard this time. He closes to my bumper and I hold him there till about 85 - 90 MPH.

Round Three, Full stop... I spin like hell... (God I love that) I hold his nose to my front tire till about 90 MPH once again.

So, when we stop I am ready to hear a laundry list of excuses. But, I am pleasntly surprised by Jake's **** eating grin and exclaimation of "I love that car!" Cool kid!! :cool:

That's a lot of car for a 17 year-old kid. :eek: I definitely woulda gotten into some trouble in high school if I had the car I have now.
I've raced my dad's GN at the track. He got a bad launch and I don't think he really tried too hard. He's gonna work on it and we'll run again in the spring; I can't wait. Man, everybody wants a piece of us LS1's.;) Good times!

Good runs and I'm glad the kid gave your car the respect it deserves. When I was 17, it was somewhat reversed. I had a pretty modded GN and the adults would harass me to race. They never took it very well when they got beat and would always have a million excuses.

We were recounting tails of our grand adventure today and I discovered that his car is a 2002 35th ann. edition. Wow..... he reeeeaaalllly took a ribbing for that. I just kept refering to mine as " the 20 year old broke down six cylinder regal.":)

How does a 17 year-old kid have that car? Not fair.:( Seriously, the insurance must be more than what I make.
As an LS1 driver, I can say that I've been in my dad's GN and it feels like it could take my car in a race. I'm a believer.

Nice kill, the ls1s even in stock auto form have some good topend. I recently had the pleasure of taking my sister and her bone stock 2000 auto 3.23 gear Z28 to the track. I ran it the first run to show her what to do and everything and was surprised to recieve a 13.18 at 105 timeslip. She proceded to jump in and run a string of 13.2-3 all at around 104.5 or so all on stock GSCs. glad he gave your car props though, sounds like some fun races

Originally posted by JDSfastGN
Nice kill, the ls1s even in stock auto form have some good topend. I recently had the pleasure of taking my sister and her bone stock 2000 auto 3.23 gear Z28 to the track. I ran it the first run to show her what to do and everything and was surprised to recieve a 13.18 at 105 timeslip. She proceded to jump in and run a string of 13.2-3 all at around 104.5 or so all on stock GSCs. glad he gave your car props though, sounds like some fun races
Wow, those are good times! I've never heard of an automatic going that fast stock, 13.23 is the fastest anybody I personally know has run. My g/f had a 2.73-geared Z28 and (now she has one with 3.23's) and she ran 13.36 @ 105 stock; the best I could do with mine (also 2.73 gears) was 13.52 @ 105. She got slightly better traction though, and hers was a hardtop (mine has t-tops).

Originally posted by TommyV8
Wow, those are good times! I've never heard of an automatic going that fast stock, 13.23 is the fastest anybody I personally know has run. My g/f had a 2.73-geared Z28 and (now she has one with 3.23's) and she ran 13.36 @ 105 stock; the best I could do with mine (also 2.73 gears) was 13.52 @ 105. She got slightly better traction though, and hers was a hardtop (mine has t-tops).

Yeah we were both really happy with the times, i was really expecting a mid 13 or so around 102-103 being its a 00 without the ls6 intake and had at the time a decent amount of knock retard at the top of 2nd. We have since changed the plugs to Tr55s and done all the free mods such as cutting the EGR tube, and messing with the lid and deflector. When i got the whole intake assembly off it turns out there was a brown paper bag covering like 60 percent of the small slit that feeds the filter (yeah i know it gets air from the front of the lid as well) but after fixing that and changing the plugs it feels a lot better overall(could just be imagination). I am hoping that it will help the mph a bit since it only gained 19-20 mph all night from the 1/8 to the 1/4. My 1/8 mph was 85 on the first run which seems pretty good to me. Those are really good times that for 2.73ed cars, ill say a lot of the good et on my sisters was in the track prep and the 50* temps outside. My sisters is a TTop car as well, really fun car to cruise around in, just need to get that 4x4 ride height fixed:eek: :D

Originally posted by TommyV8
That's a lot of car for a 17 year-old kid. :eek: I definitely woulda gotten into some trouble in high school if I had the car I have now.

I did get in a lot of trouble in highschool. I had a 1984 Ttype and everyone there with a muscle car wanted a race. I was ranked as the second fastest car at school just behind a Plymouth GTX. Although this was back in the early 90's and before the ricer craze I was still ticketed, jailed, and my car towed a few times.

I have since learned my lesson and keep it easy on the street but at the track I drive as hard as I can.

Back