You can type here any text you want

17's or 18's?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mjdwyer23

Woosh WaGoN
I've finally picked the wheel design that I want, now the question is do I want 17's or 18's? The 17's are 150 more for the set than the 18's. The 18's are available in the more desireable black center with polished lip, whereas I'd have to paint or get painted the 17's centers. Tire wise, I'd be able to get drag radials for the 17's and regular tires for the 18's. I have a set of convo pros for the track with 28x11.5 ET streets, so hooking up at the track isn't an issue. What to do??

I have the same issue. What style/brand are you looking at? I am having trouble finding an offset/backspace that will work without spacers. I want to run a 285 rear in a 17" (black center) with GNX flares and a 1" drop. What are your ideas?

Can you tell me where you can find many 17/18" wheels that fit on these cars? I used to have some 17" Camaro SS wheels on mine but I was borrowing some $200 billet 2" spacers to make them work, looked awesome but no longer have the spacers and I don't want to spend that much on more. I am also having a hard time finding large wheels with the correct bs.

I'm going to run adapters from Andris Skulte. They are bomb proof and have been used on semi trucks and also their twin turbo road race camaro. A set of adapters is cheaper than having Boyd custom make your wheels for you...

I used to see him on the Fbody list. Haven't in a while. How much are the adapters going to run you? Sort of dumb question, but there are so many 18" wheels out there, how do you know which ones will fit? Are you looking for 5.5"bs with 2" adapters? What is the most common/universal 18" size? Sorry, I really want some larger wheels but don't know where to start as far as getting it right the first time. Not too many people on here with large wheels to learn from.

The wheels I'm getting are 18x8.5 and 18x9.5 with a 15 mm offset. I am getting 1.25" spacers to corrrect for this. If you go to Skulte's website there is a great diagram of wheel fitment. His adapters pretty much allow you to put any wheel you want on your car safely.

Also it really helps to take the ole ruler to your car and figure out exactly where you want the wheel to sit. What clears someone's car by miles might rub on someone else's car.

I like 18s, but an 18 in wheel looks too large in the front IMO. There are some folks with an 18 rear and 17 front that look ok, but if you're worried a bout the money 17s look great.

a 4.75"bs on 9.5" wide 17s is just about the most you can run without a frame notch. There are some folks pushing a 10: wide rim but they stick out too far IMO.

not to toot my own horn too much but i work for forgeline, here in ohio. Forgeline forged alloy wheels and rims All the wheels are made right here, usually assembled by me or my buddy eric that works there as well. All US parts except for valvestems, plastic caps, and titanium bolts. these are 3pc custom wheels made to fit your specific car. they can get pricey is you get fancy with options or go real big. i get them at a discount so i might be able to get you guys better pricing than retail (no promises). check out the website, we make some cool stuff and do alot of cool cars. i like working there. sorry to get off topic a bit. i'd go for the 18"s

See sig below....... if all else fails run 17s and 18s! :)

Got a link with more pics? It looks nice from what I see, though!!! Sweet ride!!

"accept christ and get a free ps2" avatar is CLASSIC! :eek: :D :eek: :cool:

Did you say that the 17's cost more then the 18's? I would go with the 18's it is going to cost less. And you don't have to worry about getting the centers painted and dealing with the problems that that might cause.

Yep, I'm gonna go with the 18's. I'll post the pics in about a month when I get it all set up. We should really have a wheel gallery over here...

Back