1972 porsche 914

MDLost1@aol.com

Hi all, just got a hold of a 72' porsche 914. The motor came seperate of the car so half the works already been done. haha. Id love to put a 3.8 turbo motor in it, but Im worried about a few things. Side mounting the motor, the transaxle, the drive shaft, location of the intercooler (unless i go hot air...) , routing radiator lines, and countless others. Has anyone done a motor swap with a rear engine side mount car? Just looking for insight as to how feasible this is. Thanks!

Hi all, just got a hold of a 72' porsche 914. The motor came seperate of the car so half the works already been done. haha. Id love to put a 3.8 turbo motor in it, but Im worried about a few things. Side mounting the motor, the transaxle, the drive shaft, location of the intercooler (unless i go hot air...) , routing radiator lines, and countless others. Has anyone done a motor swap with a rear engine side mount car? Just looking for insight as to how feasible this is. Thanks!

Why would you have to side mount the motor? Small block chevy's fit just fine normally. Omit the intercooler and run a healthy shot of alky. DONE:biggrin:

I have seen a 911 with a Buick motor in it. It can be done.

The motor and turbo were in the rear but this car had a liquid intercooler coming through the firewall. The intercooler was mounted in the passenger seat of the car.

I think with a little thought you can come up with an easy way to intercool it.

With that light of a car, a stock block and heads with a good size turbo will be a kick sss ride.

If you have to ask about a driveshaft in this swap... you better gain an understanding on how midmount/rearmount/sidemount engines work. There isn't one. :confused:

Kennedy Engineering and Renegade Hybrids (as well as others) make adapter plates for the Porsche transaxle to mate with a 231 Buick and keep the engine in the stock location (behind the seat). The clutch/flywheel is rather pricey if memory serves me right. The 915 transaxle (what it is called) holds about 300hp.

Beyond that you will want a 930 (4speed) transaxle that can handle around 700hp and is also $$'s. The G50 5speed transaxle can handle the same power and has overdrive and is $$'s. G60 is 6 speed and $$$'s. THese transmissions need to be flipped over and some oiling redone to make them work.

Don't sidemount it like a Fiero. Why re-invent the wheel when the parts are already there to mount it like the car was designed.

That car should scoot as they are incredibly light. You could mount the intercooler in a rear wing/spoiler or duct air to it from the roof or a side inlet.

Where are you located?

This is actually my first rear engine car, so any and all help is greatly appreciated. Currently Im located in Southern Maryland. With the origional 4 cylinder I have the 915 tranny, probably needs a rebuild. Since its been sitting outside the car for 8 years (?) This is an inheritance from my grandfather and I dont get to see it in person until monday night. Really want to breathe some life into this car since he never got to finish it. I definatly need to gain a better understanding of rear engine vehicles. GnX7 are you going to be in Bowling Greene for nats? Im going to try and make it up by thursday and stay through the weekend, Id love to talk more about this in person.

I've seen this done with a carbed turbo set up a few years ago. I actually had some pics of it somewhere. The factors to overcome are of course space. With the I/C engine you will have a clearance issue with the turbo against the firewall not to mention location of the intercooler but I think that can be over come with a little fab work on the firewall in that location. A hot air engine should fit better but you have to overcome the turbo heat on the sheet metal of the car in that location. I looked into doing this very swap at one time and actually lucked into the adapter plate for the block/trans marrage as well as the properly balanced flywheel with bolts for the even fire SFI RWD 231. These were custom built for this project and it wasn't cheap. I could make you a good deal on these if you are serious about the swap. Let me know and keep us posted on the progress.

I was going to try to bring my Porsche but will not be able to trailer the car. I will be there Thursday thru Saturday and would love to chat about hybrid stuff!

Stop by the Chicago club tent and they will know me and can pas on a message.

See everyone there!