You can type here any text you want

1980 Turbocharged Monte Carlo

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

crazytrain65

I'm new here, and have posted in the Intro Forum. I am not new to forums, i post regularly on camarov6.com.

I came here because we have a 3.8l turbo in a 1980 monte. The car is rusted, and has been sitting awhile. Me and my dad would like to pull the engine and tranny and build it up. What are my options? No real price range yet. Just gonna get a general idea of parts, etc. I like to do my research before hand.

Are buick v6 parts the 1980 or other years interchangable with this engine? (cams, intakes, heads, headers, pistons, etc.)

thanks!
John

Everything internally and externally will swap between the different years of even fire, some blocks have a 20 bolt oil pan and you have to use the timing cover and oil pan with 20 bolt blocks, but any 14 bolt oil pan block and parts will fit yours, If your keeping it factory drawthru you can only use the factory intakes and turbo systems for drawthru. but you can swap the cam out to a later EFI version"86-'87, get with Charlief1 and see how to upgrade your stock turbo, '84 and later 8445 heads are the best, don't need too many parts just verify all of yourt stuff is working properly and it will be fine.
More info will follow....

I have a lot to learn on these, I'm reading up on stuff on B4black website. Anybody have some links to parts for these engines?

Turbo Regal Web Site is a great resource for identifying parts. There are several sites about turbo Buicks if you do a search. If you'd like more info about the turbo click on the second link in my sig. Not done yet but I'm hoping it will be soon.

Pictures of this future "beast". but really..its a hunk o s*** :(

Attachments

• IMG00023.jpg
    IMG00023.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG00024.jpg
    IMG00024.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG00025.jpg
    IMG00025.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG00026.jpg
    IMG00026.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 235
Not near as bad as my 83. Keep reading on here and you should find the info you want.

If you can find a later Regal or Cutlass that had a V8 in it you should have a frame that will let you use a 2004R tranny without modifications. It should go under with out to much problem since it's basically the same. 84-87

yea that sounds like a good idea. Any advice on pulling the motor from this car? What to look out for?

Take very detailed pics of everything as well as label what you take apart so you know where it goes. I'd take the tranny out first then the engine. Make sure to drain both of them before you do though. It will make handling them easier.

The engine looks great lke it's never even been touched that is awesome. Are you going to drive the monte body after find a donor frame? That early monte is lookin pretty good with the hood bubble.

Thanks for all the help Charlie. This should be able to get me going for now. When i start the pull i will post any problems or anything.

And Warwagon,

I'm not sure what we want to do yet. Might just go cutlass or regal. No idea. Gotta take a look at the motor and get our funds in line if we need a body.

Thanks for all the help Charlie. This should be able to get me going for now. When i start the pull i will post any problems or anything.

And Warwagon,

I'm not sure what we want to do yet. Might just go cutlass or regal. No idea. Gotta take a look at the motor and get our funds in line if we need a body.

Not a problem.:D Adam (Warwagon) Aj (dr_frakenstien) and myself are the few that try to stay in the before black section to help. We don't know everything but if we don't Rich (Beforeblack) will usually chime in after a while. Just wish he'd join us more often though.:frown:

Back