You can type here any text you want

1984 hard to start, please heko

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

trucky12

I am new here, just got my gn and love it. But anyway, i go to start it and it turns over and over and over then finally fires up. All the time it does this, people look like what the hell is it going to start, ihave to hold key there for like 30 secomds before it fires up, no check engine light on either. Please give me any insight you have

check your fuel pressure- if the regulator is getting weak, then the fuel rail will drain back to the tank every time you shut it off.
it's also possible to have an injector sticking open a bit when it's shut off and bleeding pressure off, as well as a bad bypass in the pump itself.

Not the frist thing to Check
but if the cam sensor setting is off It will be hard to start
See if it's loose first

hard start buick

It seems to run fine, all the power it needs and everything. Thats the weird part

Being new here take some time to read up on Hard starting
Do a search
May help you find the problem

I am new here, just got my gn and love it. But anyway, i go to start it and it turns over and over and over then finally fires up. All the time it does this, people look like what the hell is it going to start, ihave to hold key there for like 30 secomds before it fires up, no check engine light on either. Please give me any insight you have

It seems to run fine, all the power it needs and everything. Thats the weird part

I would verify that the fuel pump runs when you turn the key "on", and verify fuel pressure.
If the pump does not run, look into the relay.
What can happen, is the oil pressure switch will by design power the fuel pump at 3-5 psi, even of the fuel pump relay is not working.

Now, "if" you find that to be the case, I would verify the oil pressure.
It should be over 5 psi in a much shorter time than 15-30 seconds.
Good luck and let us know what you find.

I sometimes have the same problem with my 84 T and i'm kinda leaning towards the injector sticking open for mine. DOes it do this every time for you. Sometimes mine will start up with just a bump of the key other times it will act like its going to start then fizzel out. Then it's a grinding symphony of starter death. I found that when it does that, I'll floor it while trying to start it and it fires right up. Which is why I'm thinking the injector may stick open and flood it out. Not to much of an issue for me since it only does on occasions.

it's easy to see if you are bleeding off fuel pressure- hook up a gauge and turn the key on. the gauge should peg right up to the mid 40's. start it- it should still be up. shut it off and watch the gauge to see how long it holds pressure- it should stay all the way up for a good long time. if it creeps down in under 10-15 minutes, then you've got a leak somewhere- bad regulator is most likely, but also maybe an injector or the internal bypass on the pump.

Back