1985 Hot air converted to Intercooled

I don’t know if the thread is still active but I have a few questions for the ones that done the conversion. I have a 84 gn and installed a 86 intercooled setup my only problem is the fan relay not getting power from the fan fuse because 84-85 gn didn’t have electric fans. Without changing the whole fuse panel how can I get power to these relays?
Casperselectronics.com has the harness and relay etc to run 87 ecm fan and control must use 87 ecm

Caspers walked me through it years ago you tap into a wire on the left side I'll look take a pic

I've never seen an intercooled car up close, so pardon the stupid question. Why is it so hard to add an intercooler to a HA car? Why are fans, wiring harness, donor car etc, needed. Why can't you just 'add' an intercooler and reroute the intake/exhaust plumbing accordingly?

well, there's an easy way and a right way when it comes to intercooling a HA car. The spearco kit was the easy way, and it made the car lag so bad and took away any semblance of throttle response. The cars with those kits were barely drivable, most guys took them back off. in stock configuration, the throttle body is mounted right to the turbo inlet, so adding IC piping was effectively (and greatly) increasing the plenum area to a degree far beyond what's feasible. The throttle body needs to be mounted on the intake manifold, post turbo for a conversion to work properly. I did a build thread in the fab area in the general forum last year.

https://www.turbobuick.com/threads/1984-t-type-build-thread-fabrication-based.452017/

Just use the 87 intake and all the hot air parts the 84/85 intake is garbage

Attachments

• received_10213916233132308.jpeg
    received_10213916233132308.jpeg
    54.3 KB · Views: 84
Mine was all custom fab. I would have used an '86-'87 intake if I could find one locally for cheap, but that was not the case.

I think I'm up to around $700 for all the parts I'm a welder so that saves a ton having a tig set up

I did mine for 150, only because a buddy of mine gave me his intercooler from his procharged impala. Amazon universal IC piping kit. Came with random pipes, boots and clamps. Had more than enough.

I did mine for 150, only because a buddy of mine gave me his intercooler from his procharged impala. Amazon universal IC piping kit. Came with random pipes, boots and clamps. Had more than enough.
I'm using a 87 intake for my intercooler set up

i had it with 20lbs of boost no issues

Attachments

• Engine1.jpg
    Engine1.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 88
  • Engine2.jpg
    Engine2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 93