You can type here any text you want

1985 Ignition module question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Ktm858

I am having some problems with a miss and people are telling me that it might be the ignition module. Is there any way to tell if the previous owner had converted it to the 86/87 model? There are splices in the wires that lead me to think that way. I also looked in other posts and the pictures show an 85 that the module was black and when converted it was a bare metak color.

I am having some problems with a miss and people are telling me that it might be the ignition module. Is there any way to tell if the previous owner had converted it to the 86/87 model? There are splices in the wires that lead me to think that way. I also looked in other posts and the pictures show an 85 that the module was black and when converted it was a bare metak color.

Another quick question is the module suposed to get real hot? The coil stays semi cool for being under the hood but the coil gets real hot.

Another quick question is the module suposed to get real hot? The coil stays semi cool for being under the hood but the coil gets real hot.

No. Open them apart & make sure the putty inside hasnt turned to Goop. If so it toast!

As far as differentiating between the 84/85 and 86/87 ignition modules, if I recall they are different sized. Do you have the hotair coil pack or the 86/87 coilpack?
-If you have the 86/87 coilpack, and it matches up with the module size-wise then you have the 86/87 module.

-If you have the 86/87 coilpack, and there is a little adapter plate between your coil and module, because the module is slightly longer than the coilpack, then you have the 84/85 module.

-If you still have the 84/85 coilpack, then I think you must have the 84/85 style module, since I dont believe anyone made/makes an adapter kit to put an old coilpack onto a new module... though if they had the size difference would be opposite of what I said above, the coil would be slightly longer than the module

Below are pictures of the 3 different possible combinations.
On the left: 84/85 coil on 84/85 module
Middle: 86/87 Coil on 84/85 module (with adapter plate between them)
Right: 86/87 coil on 86/87 module
63997d1231974899-coil-pack-erics-pix-332.jpg

Also, if running the 86/87 module, the wiring going to it needs to be modified somewhat (as I think you mentioned). All that is involved is switching a few wires around, so it may have been done by the previous owner, or he could have used an adapter harness sold by Caspers Electronics which is an inch or so long and fits between the wiring harness from the ECM and the module itself.

HTH

As far as differentiating between the 84/85 and 86/87 ignition modules, if I recall they are different sized. Do you have the hotair coil pack or the 86/87 coilpack?
-If you have the 86/87 coilpack, and it matches up with the module size-wise then you have the 86/87 module.

-If you have the 86/87 coilpack, and there is a little adapter plate between your coil and module, because the module is slightly longer than the coilpack, then you have the 84/85 module.

-If you still have the 84/85 coilpack, then I think you must have the 84/85 style module, since I dont believe anyone made/makes an adapter kit to put an old coilpack onto a new module... though if they had the size difference would be opposite of what I said above, the coil would be slightly longer than the module

Below are pictures of the 3 different possible combinations.
On the left: 84/85 coil on 84/85 module
Middle: 86/87 Coil on 84/85 module (with adapter plate between them)
Right: 86/87 coil on 86/87 module
63997d1231974899-coil-pack-erics-pix-332.jpg

Also, if running the 86/87 module, the wiring going to it needs to be modified somewhat (as I think you mentioned). All that is involved is switching a few wires around, so it may have been done by the previous owner, or he could have used an adapter harness sold by Caspers Electronics which is an inch or so long and fits between the wiring harness from the ECM and the module itself.

HTH

I will have to look but there was a spacer underneath the coil and the holes were not in the right spot for the coil. ( i STILL DONT KNOW WHY) but when I put the new coil on it I didnt need the spacer and the bolts lined up.

I looked at the wires yesterday and it looked that they were spliced bur for what reason I dont know.

Thats because you had the stock module 84/85 with 86/87 coil.If you had the spacer.

Back