You can type here any text you want

1986 buick grand natioanl won't start

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

djroliepolie

I had the motor rebuilt then stuck it back into the car started it for about 30 minutes and let it run. then took it to the paint shop 8 months later got the car all back together and went to start it and nothing. I've replaced all this trying to get it to start: the crank sensor, the mass air flow, the fuel pressure regulator, and coil pack. When the crank sensor is not plugged in it cranks fine but when it is it crank then builts up pressure and some times back fires same thing if i plug it back in and dissconcet the fuel pump it does ste same thing. Also is the fuel pump supposed to always running when key is in on or just build up pressure then stop? it just keeps running

Make sure all the plug wires are on correctly and check the cam sensor timing.

all the wires are on correctly. whren we are cranking the car the engien cranks then freezes up but if we dissconect the fuel pump and release the presure from the fuel rail it crank with no problem and no freeze up, so we tried to start it it up with the fuel pump dissconected and spayed starting fluid threw the throttle body and it cranks then freezes up. and some times back fires

Call me tomorrow at 410-596-8985 and I can walk you through some steps to getting it up and running. Just remember what a wise GN owner once told me...when frustrated or confused on these cars, take a break and relax. Come back to it and trace your steps backwards till you find the problem. Remember you need 3 things for an engine to start, 1.) Fuel 2.) Spark and 3.) Compression. Without these it will never work. You know the engine cranks so that rules out the starter. Next you need to check the fuel pressure. You stated you know the coil packs are working so we know we have spark. We also know that the crank sensor is working too because you have spark.

If it were me I would first go back and check to make sure the timing was set correctly. Even a tooth off on the cam could cause huge issues. Secondly I would check to make sure the cam sensor was set correctly. If those are ok I would then check to see if I had fuel and spark. I would then make sure the ecu is gettng signal. I would also check the wiring harness to make sure there is nothing pinched. This can happen some times too.

If you still can't get it call me and I will try to help you.

I just noticed that the fuel pump never stops priming when the key is in the on position and the fuel injectors just spray. and the car in not running

How do you know the injectors are spraying even when the engine is not running ? did you have the NOID light on the injector to see if you get any pulse?

Yeah. Seriously. Are you for certain that it is leaking past the injectors? Thats hard to believe it's stuffing that much fuel and your eyes are not burning from trying to start it. Double check it.

If you are able to bring it down to my shop and I can take a look at it for you. I can get down to the bottom of it. I am getting used to these gremlins that plague these cars more and more every day.

no start

well if were all guessing and not using the trouble shooting guide for no start.I'd say cam sensor is 180 out my pump runs all thee time with key on because of the hot wire kit, never no problem with fuel lock it just returns to the tank via return line. if it's turning over and injectors are pulsing by now your plugs are fuel fouled.

well if were all guessing and not using the trouble shooting guide for no start.I'd say cam sensor is 180 out my pump runs all thee time with key on because of the hot wire kit, never no problem with fuel lock it just returns to the tank via return line. if it's turning over and injectors are pulsing by now your plugs are fuel fouled.

Hot wired pump should prime normally and shut off. Sounds like your's is also not working properly.

pump

Hot wired pump should prime normally and shut off. Sounds like your's is also not working properly.

So once pressure is seen at the rail lets say lbs. the pump should shut off? where does it get get the signal to shut off.I here it gurgling like the extra fuel is being returned to the tank.trying to figure if the relay is wired wrong or why the pump would run if it's not suppose to?

So once pressure is seen at the rail lets say lbs. the pump should shut off? where does it get get the signal to shut off.I here it gurgling like the extra fuel is being returned to the tank.trying to figure if the relay is wired wrong or why the pump would run if it's not suppose to?

When you turn the key on the fuel pump relay is timed for priming the rail. Once you start cranking and the engine hits 400rpm the fuel pump will then not shut off as long as the key is on.

Back