1987 Turbo Regal, maroon, show winner

1quick6

Shadetree Mechanic
For Sale:

1987 Buick Regal Turbo T
Canadian import
88,000 km / 54,680 mi
Garnet red metallic (GM paint code 076)
owned since 1998. Divorce forces sale and that is the ONLY reason I want to sell
Trophy winner at many car shows

I know this is a bad time of the year to sell, but finances dictate so.
Dsc00701.jpg

Extras included:
Set of (4) 1987 aluminum T wheels. Tires will need replacing on these.
Laptop with DOS version TurboLink and cable
Fitted car cover

Located in Cedar Falls, Iowa
See http://www.cedarcrestspeedlab.com for full documentation on the life of this car as well as pictures.

Engine:

3.8 SFI Turbo
Manley valves
O-ringed heads
TE-44 turbo from Precision Turbo and Engine
stock intercooler
Ford Blue Top 36psi injectors
Walbro 307 fuel pump with hotwire kit
Poston’s mechanical fuel pressure gauge (under hood)
MAF Translator with LS1 MAF sensor (old school Translator)
Stock ECM with TurboTweak 93 octane chip
Stock GM TH2004R with D5 torque converter, well maintained
Chrome turbo cover, up-pipe, MAF pipe, EGR cover, oil breathers, oil filler

Exhaust:Hooker cat back 2.5” exhaust
Super Comp mufflers exiting in stock location with proper slash cut tips
BGC 3” downpipe
Adjustable wastegate actuator with correct mount for TE-44 turbo.
Stock crack-free headers
There is no catalytic converter on this car. Only a “test” pipe.

Braking, Suspension, Wheels:stock calipers, discs and drums.
Converted to Hydroboost using 1984 TR specified parts (Cardone)
Auburn Pro posi traction
Wheels Front: 15x7 Weld Pro Star with BFG 235/60 15
Wheels Rear: 15x8 Weld Pro Star with BFG 275/50 15
Cargo coils and ATR air bag kit in springs, fill valve in rear bumper

Interior/Exterior:

Garnet red metallic paint, code 076
No 3.8 SFI TURBO emblems on the hood. The rest are correct.
Maroon interior with bucket seats and center console
T-Type floor mats
Kenwood CD Player
VDO Boost and Water Temperature gauges in A-Pillar pod
VDO Oil pressure and Casper’s Knock Gauge in console tray
Headliner replaced with ABS plastic unit in 2011

Interior is exceptionally clean and tastefully modified. The dash is not cracked aside from minute ones around the speaker covers.

NO RUST

The Good:

I have owned this car since 1998 and I have enjoyed it very much. It has been treated with the utmost care and has never been rained on since I have owned it. It is stored winters and is only driven on nice weekends. I drive it carefully and never let it sit anywhere that could potentially cause harm to the car, i.e. shopping carts and other human caused mishaps.

The car is absolutely gorgeous, but not perfect. It has won many first place finishes in its class at local car shows, most often entered in a class called Street Machines 1983-present. It gets looks and compliments everywhere it goes and I am very proud to have owned it and maintained it to a level it deserves. The car is not hacked up or shoddily done in any way.

The paint is in immaculate shape. There is no rust on the car at all and VERY few imperfections. It has always been washed and regularly waxed with either Zaino or Meguiars products. I have included pictures of the car as well as close-ups of the areas I am not happy with.

A lot of the listed modifications were done by the previous owner aside from the fuel pump, braking system, headliner, stereo, translator and hotwire kit. Everything done to the car looks like it was done yesterday since I maintain it the best I can. I have changed the fluids at regular intervals and have always used the best. For example, it gets Joe Gibbs Hot Rod oil, which has extra zinc for flat tappet cams. Even the coolant and brake fluid are changed before it is needed.

I just went through the brake system in 2010 replacing the rear wheel cylinders and converting to Hydroboost. The fluid is fresh and clean and has been bled correctly. The transmission fluid and filter were just changed in the fall of 2011. The old fluid was not burnt or dirty nor was the pan full of black powder. It still shifts crisp and clean.

The Bad:

The car is not perfect. I will list some areas that I feel need attention. Nothing is a pressing need ... just things on the “list” that I would have addressed over time:

1. Air conditioning is present but not functioning. I haven’t ever fixed it because I just don’t use it. It has not worked in over ten years, so I imagine the system will need an overhaul and not just a charge.

2. The steering wheel leather is looking old. Certainly still presentable, but it could stand to be reworked.

3. The rear speakers (stock 4x10) need to be replaced as a pair. One of them is blown, although you don’t notice it much with regular volume levels. The Kenwood CD stereo works fine.

4. It does leak a little bit of oil like every other 3.8 TR on the planet. It is definitely nothing above ordinary leakage but something to be aware of. It has had a new neoprene rear main seal a few years ago. I haven’t gone as far as using dye to figure it out since it is just regular dripping.

5. The driver’s side bumper filler has a quarter sized area where the paint has chipped off revealing the gray primer. This was not due to the quality of the paint. I had a little garage accident and scraped it. Talk about a bad day for me. Otherwise, the fillers themselves are still in good shape since the car never bakes in the sun.

6. There is an annoying exhaust leak (a flutter) emanating from what I believe is the driver’s side of the car. The header is known crack free and I had it off and inspected. It was reinstalled using a Remflex crush gasket but the noise remains. I am pretty confident that the header and crossover is sealed. I notice it most when the car is cold, but you also notice it when cruising at low rpm, like in OD. When the car is cold, it will produce a chirping flutter that goes away when the engine heats up. I have not been able to adequately diagnose and fix this problem.

7. The car really needs to be tuned correctly with a scan tool. It runs well, but I do not feel like it is running at maximum potential.

8. Needs a catalytic converter. We don’t have smog checks in Iowa, so you will need to put one on if you require it. I will not supply one with the sale.

9. Still has the Canadian KMH speedometer, so you have to squint to see the tiny MPH reading. You get used to it quickly and it is kind of fun when passengers think you are going 85 in the city.

Asking Price:

$ 12,500

I will never find another one like it and you will have a gem. I have been totally honest in my description of the car and have given the good and the bad.
If you send a PM and want to know more, I can send my phone number that way. I don't want to post it here so marketing spam bots pick it up for telemarketers.

Pictures available at Photobucket. I will try to take some more as weather permits. This car still has not seen a rain drop since 1998, so that will have to be weather permitting.

Here is a little video of the car. It's the first one shown.

I forgot to mention that the car also includes a working Powermaster unit. The harness is still in the car so it can be reinstalled if you want to handle that. The Hydroboost works like a champ, so I can't see why anyone would unless they want a stock look.

In reference to "The Bad" #6 in the previous post, here is a video describing the fluttering.

The BFG tires that are on the unmounted stock T wheels are dry rotted.
The BFG tires that are on the mounted Weld ProStars have great tread, but age is catching up with them. I'd probably replace them if you are a spirited driver.

No one but me has ever worked on or driven this car since I bought it in 1998. It has never been rained on and has never even sat outside of a garage overnight. It's always the car parked 900 spaces out at any parking lot. :) If you visit my website, you will see how much pride I take in my car and it is not an easy thing to part with it at all.

Hi;

Can you send me pictures of this car, also was there a lot of hassle getting the car from the Canada to the U.S as I live in London, Ontario and would need to bring the car back into canada.

email is:
pokerbrat68@outlook.com

Thanks
mark

I didn't bring it across the border myself as I met the seller in Chicago at the time. That said, I didn't have any problem getting it registered here. The title was all in French, but the DMV lady didn't seem to mind much back in 98.

I have some pictures posted here. I can take more, but it is raining today. If anyone wants specific shots, let me know.

Very Nice. Please stay firm on your price. Alot of GN owners are giving these cars away and its turning the GN market into sh*t. Your car is beautiful and its (in my opinion) priced a little on the low side. I myself am trying to sell a 87 GN and the market is going, Im half tempted to burn the car to the ground and collect on the insurance. These cars are beautiful and they should be priced accordingly. Wish you the best of luck selling this gem.

Very Nice. Please stay firm on your price. Alot of GN owners are giving these cars away and its turning the GN market into sh*t. Your car is beautiful and its (in my opinion) priced a little on the low side. I myself am trying to sell a 87 GN and the market is going, Im half tempted to burn the car to the ground and collect on the insurance. These cars are beautiful and they should be priced accordingly. Wish you the best of luck selling this gem.
Its his car ,he can sell it for what ever he wants. Cars are not investments. The cheaper they are....the more people will own and enjoy them. JMHO

Well I think your wrong. I believe they are investments, unless the person is simply trying to flip it. And the cheaper they are does nothing but hurt the market of these cars and make them even less special. So this is my opinion.