You can type here any text you want

1996 Sebring dies out on hwy

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNRick

Retired member
Need advice on my friend's 96 Sebring, 6 cyl. She replaced the fuel pump, distributor, spark plugs and wires, and a sensor which is unknown to her (until she finds the receipt). Car dies out at random times. She says she can be driving at 30-40mph and it dies, pulling away from a stop light, driving on the expressway at 65mph, etc. I suggested she get her injectors cleaned and a new O2 sensor (or does this car have two O2 sensors?). Now she also says the check engine light came on and it was a code for the EGR valve. Her mechanic says a bad egr valve shouldn't make the car die out. Any ideas? Ignition related? Thanks!

More info needed

after it dies, will it turn over and not start or nothing at all?

Could be the auto shut down relay acting up. Sounds like either that or the distributor is bad.If its not a factory part I would not trust it.Who put it in the distributor? could have broken coil tower causing arching in the distributor. Have to be careful installing cap on that distributor. And yes the egr can cause the car to die. Google Egr for this car I believe there is a tsb for this problem. If the car is running good.Pull the vacuum line from valve and plug it .If it stops stalling thats your problem. The valve is probably sticking open. Another easy test is when it stalls give the egr a love tap and if you hear the valve pop try starting if it starts the valve is sticking open. Toyota had a problem that was similar on the four cylinder engine. good luck. I have also seen timing belts installed wrong on these 2.5 engines.It the back cam is off(the one that drives the distributor) it will hunt for timing if it cant find correct timing it shuts down. hope this helps good luck

after it dies, will it turn over and not start or nothing at all?

She says it starts right up.

Could be the auto shut down relay acting up. Sounds like either that or the distributor is bad.If its not a factory part I would not trust it.Who put it in the distributor? could have broken coil tower causing arching in the distributor. Have to be careful installing cap on that distributor. And yes the egr can cause the car to die. Google Egr for this car I believe there is a tsb for this problem. If the car is running good.Pull the vacuum line from valve and plug it .If it stops stalling thats your problem. The valve is probably sticking open. Another easy test is when it stalls give the egr a love tap and if you hear the valve pop try starting if it starts the valve is sticking open. Toyota had a problem that was similar on the four cylinder engine. good luck. I have also seen timing belts installed wrong on these 2.5 engines.It the back cam is off(the one that drives the distributor) it will hunt for timing if it cant find correct timing it shuts down. hope this helps good luck

Chopped- thanks for your reply. Sounds like you know these cars real well. I'll pass it along and get back with you.

Back