You can type here any text you want

2 TTAs - 1 Build #?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1987 GN

On the registry:
http://www.turbotransam.com/registry.htm

there are 2 registered TTAs w/ #797. One of them probably has the wrong build # but who is to say which person is wrong? The reason I ask is because my TTA was confirmed as #465 from PAS and John @ John's performance but PHS says it is #475. Just kind of confusing, wish I could know for sure.

I would have to guess the confusion is because some people are numbering the TTA's by their order of VIN numbers, and PHS is probably using the actual release order from PAS as their numbering system. Since the cars didn't always get built in the same order they were recieved, the VIN numbers aren't all going to be in a row. The GNX's were the same way. If you do a search, there are quite a few of them that are out of order, but since the TTA's don't have a dash plaque with the number on it, the actual order in which they were finished is only known by a few people, PHS being the only ones I know of.

Originally posted by 1badTTA
PHS is probably using the actual release order from PAS as their numbering system.

But for my TTA PHS and PAS both gave me different build #s so PHS is not using the PAS numbering system from what I can see. Any other ideas?

Well I would have to guess that the PAS number would be the correct one since they built the cars and would have been in charge of putting the dashplaque numbers on them if they were used. I huess there is no real answer since the cars don't have a number on them, only in record books. Also, if there were 1555 cars built, and 5 were test mules and prototypes, would the 6th car built be car #1? There are alot of things that can play into this and I don't think there really is a correct answer as to what the number for each car is since they weren't numbered from PAS like ASC did with the GNX's.

Just wondering what numbers you got from your car and from who. Also, what number did Russ Salerno's site give you when it was working?

I never got to try running my vin through Russ Salerno's website. PAS said my car was #465 but PHS said it was #475. John @ John's Performance agreed with PHS and said #465 as well. I would like to know for surebut I guess that I might not ever know the 'real' build number.

You got a number from PAS?? How did you do that, I must have missed something!!!

Mine was numberd 583 from PHS and from Russ' site. I will have to jump back over to John's page and see what he has, to be honest I did not know he had a way/record/database/etc where he tracked/knew build numbers. I would be interested in seeing what he has to say if for no reason than to see if he comes up with 583.

Brent

I heard from a reliable source that the original documents from PAS have been saved and are at this time being sorted and filed as for each car that was built. Also a copy of this documentation may be available to each owner for a fee and would contain the build # as which order it left PAS.PHS probably does the #'s by the vin # which is which order they would have been pulled from the line at GM and sent to PAS.PAS did not build them in the order which they received them!Thus the reason for two different build #'s.As to how someone got info from PAS I would not know because they disbanned years ago.Although the person whom is supposed to be doing the above mentioned project was an employee of PAS.There were 5 pre production pilot cars one of which was converted by ASC for Jeff Bietzel who was one of PAS's owners.Also there where a multitued of mule cars two of which I've seen with my own eye's,most were destroyed.Hope this adds to the confusion.:D

I now own the infamous #797. The list you saw names 2 of the prior owners of the same car. I've seen the same list. Not sure how to correct it.

Originally posted by tta583
You got a number from PAS?? How did you do that, I must have missed something!!!

Mine was numberd 583 from PHS and from Russ' site. I will have to jump back over to John's page and see what he has, to be honest I did not know he had a way/record/database/etc where he tracked/knew build numbers. I would be interested in seeing what he has to say if for no reason than to see if he comes up with 583.

Brent

I did not get the number from PAS. The original owner in the documentation provided to me had a letter from PAS, dated sometime in 1991 I think, that said the car was #465. I ordered my PHS packet this spring and it said #475. That is why I was confused.

Originally posted by TNTTA
I heard from a reliable source that the original documents from PAS have been saved and are at this time being sorted and filed as for each car that was built. Also a copy of this documentation may be available to each owner for a fee and would contain the build # as which order it left PAS.PHS probably does the #'s by the vin # which is which order they would have been pulled from the line at GM and sent to PAS.PAS did not build them in the order which they received them!Thus the reason for two different build #'s.As to how someone got info from PAS I would not know because they disbanned years ago.Although the person whom is supposed to be doing the above mentioned project was an employee of PAS.There were 5 pre production pilot cars one of which was converted by ASC for Jeff Bietzel who was one of PAS's owners.Also there where a multitued of mule cars two of which I've seen with my own eye's,most were destroyed.Hope this adds to the confusion.:D

Well if that list becomes available it will be interesting to see if they give me the same number today as they gave the original owner back in 1991.

Originally posted by Captain Mark
I now own the infamous #797. The list you saw names 2 of the prior owners of the same car. I've seen the same list. Not sure how to correct it.

That solves the question of why there are two #797 TTAs then. I think if you go to turbotransam.com you should be able to get a hold of the site administrator or registry webmaster and email them your information so they update the information on the website.

Originally posted by 1987 GN
I did not get the number from PAS. The original owner in the documentation provided to me had a letter from PAS, dated sometime in 1991 I think, that said the car was #465. I ordered my PHS packet this spring and it said #475. That is why I was confused.

I see said the blind man.

I would be interested in knowing my PAS (out the door) build number but I doubt I will loose much sleep over it. All I have to do is remember I own one of the cars as well as remember what it feels like to mash the gas to the floor. All the rest of the crud (endless work, minor upgrades, leaks, fear of getting hit in traffic, etc...) just seems to float away.

Oh yeah, not to add another "I heard" to the rumor mill but I thought all the remaing files from PAS ended up in the hands of some Sy/Ty club.

Brent

Back