You can type here any text you want

2005 GTO hunts the hunter....lol

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The Darkside

Heavy Metal Thunder
I had been adjusting my TurboTweak chip for a little richer wot & had to make a run to the bank so decided to drive her & see how she was feeling....anyways, I'm criusing about 40 MPH on a one way road with 2 lanes & I see a new silver/gray 2005 Ram Air GTO sitting at a stop sign waiting to take a left & come my way....The driver was eyeballing me real hard & I knew when I saw him speed up to catch me that he was feeling good about his shiny new 400hp ride. I look over & he's right beside me just a smiling & right beside him is his woman just a smiling too, all excited about the chance to see her man flex his muscles for her....lol. Well, he's pointing his finger that he wants to run, so although I kinda feel bad for what I'm about to do to his ego, I know what has to be done.
We're both still doing about 40, so I just let him ease out a 1/2 car or so & he floors it... I hit it & the tires are ripping loose, but I spin past him quickley & put a couple cars on him before hitting my brakes to slow down... Well, I figure he's feeling bad, but wait, here he comes again & he wants another shot:eek: Not sure why, but I figure he's into getting spanked or something, so about a 1/2 mile up is the service road to the highway... I get over in front of him & lead him to the slaughtering house...I mean the service road...lol. I take a left & there's nothing but a one way 2 lane staightaway for the next 3/4 mile. He pulls up beside me & is looking very determined to show his woman that that 30,000 he spent on this car was well worth it.... We're going only about 30 this time, I'm on street radials & I know it's going to be tough to get traction, so I roll into it gently & he floors it again!! Well, this time I had turned my alchy down a notch, so the car was a little leaner & a little meaner... I spun again , but peddled it until I could hook up & flew by him & proceeded to put 20+ cars on hm before tapping the brakes... I didn't want him to feel like the 3rd time would be a charm for him....lol. He pulled up beside me at the next stop sign & just wanted to know how much boost I was running. I told 20+ & he said something about 1 bar & he & his other half gave a wave & I got to teach him about Turbo Buick power. I will say that he could hold his own against alot of cars out there running around, but I don't think he'll mess with another one from The Darkside:cool:

The Darkside:cool:

This was on 23 lbs of boost, o2's 770ish & egt's 1500 or so @ the top of 3rd...

I've run at least 4 at the track THEY ARE TOO SLOW. They may run around imports all day long.

Good kill:D

oh i wouldnt say high 13s stock is slow by any means, especially since its about 4000 pounds. i like my 04 better than the buick, thats one reason im selling it.;)

Originally posted by The Darkside
I had been adjusting my TurboTweak chip for a little richer wot & had to make a run to the bank so decided to drive her & see how she was feeling....anyways, I'm criusing about 40 MPH on a one way road with 2 lanes & I see a new silver/gray 2005 Ram Air GTO sitting at a stop sign waiting to take a left & come my way....The driver was eyeballing me real hard & I knew when I saw him speed up to catch me that he was feeling good about his shiny new 400hp ride. I look over & he's right beside me just a smiling & right beside him is his woman just a smiling too, all excited about the chance to see her man flex his muscles for her....lol. Well, he's pointing his finger that he wants to run, so although I kinda feel bad for what I'm about to do to his ego, I know what has to be done.
We're both still doing about 40, so I just let him ease out a 1/2 car or so & he floors it... I hit it & the tires are ripping loose, but I spin past him quickley & put a couple cars on him before hitting my brakes to slow down... Well, I figure he's feeling bad, but wait, here he comes again & he wants another shot:eek: Not sure why, but I figure he's into getting spanked or something, so about a 1/2 mile up is the service road to the highway... I get over in front of him & lead him to the slaughtering house...I mean the service road...lol. I take a left & there's nothing but a one way 2 lane staightaway for the next 3/4 mile. He pulls up beside me & is looking very determined to show his woman that that 30,000 he spent on this car was well worth it.... We're going only about 30 this time, I'm on street radials & I know it's going to be tough to get traction, so I roll into it gently & he floors it again!! Well, this time I had turned my alchy down a notch, so the car was a little leaner & a little meaner... I spun again , but peddled it until I could hook up & flew by him & proceeded to put 20+ cars on hm before tapping the brakes... I didn't want him to feel like the 3rd time would be a charm for him....lol. He pulled up beside me at the next stop sign & just wanted to know how much boost I was running. I told 20+ & he said something about 1 bar & he & his other half gave a wave & I got to teach him about Turbo Buick power. I will say that he could hold his own against alot of cars out there running around, but I don't think he'll mess with another one from The Darkside:cool:

The Darkside:cool:

This was on 23 lbs of boost, o2's 770ish & egt's 1500 or so @ the top of 3rd...

Nice story. Sounds like you had some fun. you gotta love getting picked on and then going on to win by buslengths.

I'd say he has a little more respect now for 20 yr. old grocery getters. :eek:

Originally posted by turbofrank
I've run at least 4 at the track THEY ARE TOO SLOW. They may run around imports all day long.

Good kill:D

Good grief, what a dumb thing to say.

I have an 05 A4 GTO and my modded GN is alot faster than the GTO.
However when my 1986 GN was new and stock vs a stock 05 GTO, The GTO would cream it in the 1/4 by a full second.

I like 'em both, they both have their place , but I am not stupid enought to believe my stocker can run with a modded GN.

My 20,000 mile stocker(with only a GT3255) beat my buddies 04 vette by just over 3/10's in the 1/8......three times... in one evening.......:) He was very upset to say the least.:eek:

I just cant see why that Cavalier looking body style GTO weighs so much. I look at my 71 GTO and can swear the hood gets an inch longer every year. It is a 5 passenger car with a good trunk. Its weight? 4050lbs. This at a time when no computer was used to design every single part for weight savings like is done now. Everybody says its powere windows, etc but hell, how much can that weigh?!

Originally posted by ThikStik
I just cant see why that Cavalier looking body style GTO weighs so much. I look at my 71 GTO and can swear the hood gets an inch longer every year. It is a 5 passenger car with a good trunk. Its weight? 4050lbs. This at a time when no computer was used to design every single part for weight savings like is done now. Everybody says its powere windows, etc but hell, how much can that weigh?!

Parts are hardly all designed for weight savings. You can't just punch in a part design and have the computer spit out the strongest and lightest designs. If car companies designed everything based on weight, every new car would have tubular a-arms, tubular k-members, aluminum blocks, etc. Besides, a/c, power steering, abs, large brakes, leather, stereos... this stuff all adds up to a lot.

Originally posted by ViciousV6
Parts are hardly all designed for weight savings. You can't just punch in a part design and have the computer spit out the strongest and lightest designs. If car companies designed everything based on weight, every new car would have tubular a-arms, tubular k-members, aluminum blocks, etc. Besides, a/c, power steering, abs, large brakes, leather, stereos... this stuff all adds up to a lot.

I assume this is curb weight being discussed.
My 71 GTO has ac, ps, stereo with boxed woofer, ...thats 3 outta the 5 options listed above. My vinyle bucket seats are heavy due to simply having more metal. My front bumper is HEAVY. Shure, the car companies put weight and integrity AND costs into the computer generated part. But what gives . How is a smaller car so heavy ?My GTO is a full frame car and at least 4 freakin feet longer than the new GTO. No cramped passengers. Also its a convert which ads 200 lbs or so. All its had done is lowered engine weight by around 150 lbs. Something doesnt add up.

Originally posted by ThikStik
I assume this is curb weight being discussed.
My 71 GTO has ac, ps, stereo with boxed woofer, ...thats 3 outta the 5 options listed above. My vinyle bucket seats are heavy due to simply having more metal. My front bumper is HEAVY. Shure, the car companies put weight and integrity AND costs into the computer generated part. But what gives . How is a smaller car so heavy ?My GTO is a full frame car and at least 4 freakin feet longer than the new GTO. No cramped passengers. Also its a convert which ads 200 lbs or so. All its had done is lowered engine weight by around 150 lbs. Something doesnt add up.

This might help you understand. Consider how much more sophisticated a new GTO is. All of the emissions, safety standards that have to be met. Then consider all the sound deadening used in cars today. Electronics and brain boxes . Not to mention the amenities.

The desparity in sophistication between a '71 GTO and a '05 is enormous. Unfortunately the result is more weight.

Originally posted by lieu910
This might help you understand. Consider how much more sophisticated a new GTO is. All of the emissions, safety standards that have to be met. Then consider all the sound deadening used in cars today. Electronics and brain boxes . Not to mention the amenities.

The desparity in sophistication between a '71 GTO and a '05 is enormous. Unfortunately the result is more weight.

I've heard the new GTO was built like a tank so it didn't fall apart on the crappy roads down under.

Good kill, but don't expect all GTOs to be slugs. My friend's turboed '04 just ran 11.23@122 over the weekend(Link to thread ). I went 13.5 bone stock on stock tires with my '04(yes I have the slip to prove it, backed up by 2 13.61s), just waiting for the track to open to test my new cam/big converter combo.

I concur with NJVetteGuy. Having owned a GN and currenlty an '05 GTO, I can say that both cars have merits. What you will also find is a large number of current GTO drivers own or have owned turbo Buicks in the past since these vehicles appeal to the same demographic. Enough smack talking may exist on both sides of the fence but you'll find that we have more in common than other performance car rivals. In others words, shut up. :rolleyes:

Yep, not all are slugs. Mine with just a K&N and smooth intake tube went 13.25. Should run a little bit better now with the mods I've done.

Already faster than my 87 GN but nowher near what the TTA ran :)

I weighed mine when I was at MIR last year, 3760. So its 3960 with me in it barrelling down the track. These are built like tanks. No road noise, air noise, everything is a solid thud. Built to last and take some punishment.

Darkside....sounds like you have a great running car. May I ask what it runs (assuming you've had it to the track)?

Many thanks, and best of luck.

Back