2006 TSO rules proposal

I think a little wordsmithing for consistency is required:

Car should be NHRA certified.

Should read: Car MUST have current NHRA certification for potential ET/speeds attained.

Car should possess all applicable safety equipment for potential ET/speeds attained.

Should read: Car MUST possess all applicable safety equipment as defined by NHRA for potential ET/speeds attainable or attained.

Any Buick V6 cylinder block allowed, no cubic inch displacement limits.

Maybe should read: Any Buick manufactured block allowed, no cubic inch displacement limits.

Any GM automatic transmission, 200-4R, TH400 w/ any torque converter allowed.

Maybe should read: Any GM transmission, including 200-4R, TH400 w/any torque converter

Glad to see you guys got it worked out. Should make for intersting racing considering the weight vs turbo size rules. :D

tso rules

john. why not turbo chevy v8 ? buick races dont bring in very many specktors. muncie dragway, muncie indiana, has far more cars running on wednesday nite test and tune than there was at the salem event and the morocco event put together, saturday nite bracket racers and quick 8 open cars and door slammers pits are full and the stands have lots of on lookers. and it cost 10.00 to watch. jim haas , says the nhra rules will be strickly inforced, he dont have anything to do with ****, if the nhra rules are inforced to the letter, then there will only be a few cars there the 11.50 et to the 15 second cars will be there, just wait and see, the first year that i went to bristol with my buick the teck man said if it has four wheels and a steering wheels you can race it here, :)

odell4o8 said:
john. why not turbo chevy v8 ? buick races dont bring in very many specktors. muncie dragway, muncie indiana, has far more cars running on wednesday nite test and tune than there was at the salem event and the morocco event put together, saturday nite bracket racers and quick 8 open cars and door slammers pits are full and the stands have lots of on lookers. and it cost 10.00 to watch. jim haas , says the nhra rules will be strickly inforced, he dont have anything to do with ****, if the nhra rules are inforced to the letter, then there will only be a few cars there the 11.50 et to the 15 second cars will be there, just wait and see, the first year that i went to bristol with my buick the teck man said if it has four wheels and a steering wheels you can race it here, :)

Very well said OC. I'm with you on this. Just wondering what the **** really says.

I should go, I mean must go, ahhh you get it.... :D

Night Train said:
\Maybe should read: Any Buick manufactured block allowed,

That would leave out the TA block then wouldnt it?
Its not Buick manufactured.
The wording is just fine

tso rules

TED, anyone can rent muncie dragstrip on wednesday from 10.am to 5 pm i think its 500,00 so you and friends and make all the passes you want dont have to worry about double clamped or t-clamped radiator hoses, lol, once a month the fast and furious [ricers and lots of young kids] and anyone that wants to pay 20 dollars can run their car i went one nite they do it the last friday nite of ever month all summer , i didnt know so many young girls would pull off their tops[wet t -shirt contest on the starting line.] point is what would the insurance company say? a group of people or promoters rent the track for this event, and i broke my car again at morocco, expert said i had a gremin or a worm in my wiring harness some where, i guess ill be buying a new one. good luck with the tso car, a old tso racer. oc, :)

odell4o8 said:
TED, anyone can rent muncie dragstrip on wednesday from 10.am to 5 pm i think its 500,00 so you and friends and make all the passes you want dont have to worry about double clamped or t-clamped radiator hoses, lol, once a month the fast and furious [ricers and lots of young kids] and anyone that wants to pay 20 dollars can run their car i went one nite they do it the last friday nite of ever month all summer , i didnt know so many young girls would pull off their tops[wet t -shirt contest on the starting line.] point is what would the insurance company say? a group of people or promoters rent the track for this event, and i broke my car again at morocco, expert said i had a gremin or a worm in my wiring harness some where, i guess ill be buying a new one. good luck with the tso car, a old tso racer. oc, :)

Wet t-shirt contests at the starting line? How about under the Hartline Tent?? Some photo shoots too!!! Sorry for the trouble you had there. Sometimes, that $hit gets old.

I'll have to bring some of them worms down to BG next year, I didn't see in the rules you can't use them against your opponets. I need all the help I can get.

I will post the Final Proposal being submitted to James West:

Turbo Street Outlaw – TSO (2006 Proposal)

General

Qualifying ET is 9.99 or quicker.
Heads-up .400 pro tree start and pro ladder.
Winner and runner-up are subject to re-weigh and re-tech immediately after final round or at any other time.
Entrants caught breaking the rules will be disqualified from the TSO class.

Chassis

Current NHRA/IHRA certified seat restraints, helmet and fire suit required.
Chasis must be NHRA/IHRA certified.
Car should possess all applicable safety equipment for potential ET/speeds attained and pass track safety tech.
Minimum car weight w/driver must be 3,400 pounds with a 100# weight break for 82mm and smaller turbos and a 100# penalty for T05 flanged turbos
Removable ballast is limited to 100 pounds maximum.
Stock wheelbase required (108.0" measured +/- 1").
Engine/firewall must be in stock location.
Factory stock body lines/contours must be maintained (i.e. hood, doors, fenders, wheel openings, bumpers, trunk lid, etc). *** Non-factory rear stabilizer wings are allowed.
Any fiberglass or carbon fiber body panels, bumpers, etc. allowed, no hood scoops. No removable front ends.
Complete, painted Buick Turbo Regal/Grand National body required.
Stock operating glass windows and windshield are required, no lexan.
4Headlights and horn must be operational.
Stock front inner wheel wells required. Trimming allowed for downpipe clearance.
Full stock GM frame is required, no tube chassis cars are allowed.
Functional radiator required.
Modifications to stock rear wheel wells allowed, mini-tubs are allowed, outer frame rails notching allowed, inner rails remain in the stock location.
Reinforcements at inner rear frame rails are allowed.
Stock style rear suspension only, no ladder bars or aftermarket 4 links allowed.
Coil-over equipped rear suspension allowed.
Drive shaft safety loop required.
No restrictions on braking system, power or manual brakes are allowed.
Brake system line locks allowed.
Wheelie bars are allowed.
Parachutes are required for trap speeds in excess of 150 mph.

Engine

Any Buick V6 cylinder block allowed, no cubic inch displacement limits.
Any oil pan allowed, no dry sump oiling system allowed.
Any cylinder heads, allowed.
Any intake manifold and plenum allowed.
Any size single stock or aftermarket throttle body allowed w/single throttle plate only.
Any type of stock location headers & crossover allowed.
No restrictions on engine driven accessories; i.e. water pump, p/s, etc.
Functional alternator required.
A/C and heating equipment may be removed.

Turbo, Downpipe & Intercooler

Any single 3-bolt or 4-bolt turbo allowed with the turbo shaft in stock orientation and the turbo inlet flange within 2" of the stock location.
Turbo compressor size limited up to and including a mid-frame 88mm, large frame "Thumper" style turbos are not allowed.
A 4”maximum size, stock location downpipe is allowed w/ a 5" inlet/transition at the turbo reduced down to 4” immediately after the 90* elbow at the turbo exit. It must be routed down through the stock location. No flex pipe allowed.
A 4”maximum size single or dual exhaust system is allowed. It must muffle and exit at/behind the rear axle tube(s), away from the car, equal to the lower body line.
Any wastegate configuration allowed.
Any stock location or front mount air to air intercooler is allowed.
No liquid intercoolers, intercooler external spray cooling or add-on cold boxes allowed.

Engine Management & Fuel System

Battery may be in any location.
Any ECM/fuel management system is allowed w/ any onboard electronics are allowed.
Any air induction system allowed.
Stock fuel tank w/sump addition or fuel cell allowed.
Any fuel pump(s) configuration/location w/ any fuel lines allowed.
Any fuel rail(s) allowed.
Any type fuel pressure regulator allowed.
Any size fuel injectors allowed, no limit on number used.
Gasoline fuel only, no additives, alcohol, or nitrous oxide injection allowed.

Transmission

Any GM automatic transmission, 200-4R, TH400 w/ any torque converter allowed.
No Lenco, Liberty or manual transmissions with or without clutch allowed.

Differential

Any type stock width differential housing allowed, +/- 1" allowance w/ limited-slip differentials or spool allowed and any gear ratio allowed.

Wheels & Tires

Any matched set of four 15" diameter wheels allowed.
Slicks w/ sidewall designation up to a 29.5” x 11.50” -15” size tire w/ a maximum measured footprint of 11.25” is allowed, W tires are allowed.
*** Phoenix Brand 11.5”standard and W sidewall designation tires are not allowed do to tread width restrictions.
DOT street tires w/sidewall designations up to a 30.0” x 13.50”-15” size tire are allowed .

Interior

Stock dash must be retained with any gauges and any transmission shifter allowed.
A maximum of 2 hood mounted gauges allowed.
Car must have a fully carpeted floor board w/2 front seats, door panels, headliner, applicable interior trim, etc.
Rear seat may be removed; area must be carpeted to match interior color.

tso rules

cal, i know im a country boy, but at norwork or salem both IHRA tracks are you saying they are going by NHRA safety rules? then are they the tracks going to bring in a NHRA safety teck person,? so my IHRA driving license and IHRA legal car is not legal at norwork or salem at the buick event, another question if a car is not legal due to a safety infraction , like brake pedal dont feel right to the inspector or steering is not as tight as the last car. or you dont have the second return spring on your throttle body, if the racer cant race and they pre entered do they get a full refund. ? in my case me and crew usually around 300,00 dollars im sure someone else will ask same question. good luck,

OC,
We don't have any control over the track safety personell. If they don't think your car is safe, you can't run. It would be up to the event promoter to give you a refund (doubtful).

Keep in mind, the rules I posted were the G.S.C.A. rules. I agree that the NHRA should probably be changed to NHRA/IHRA

You should be able to now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

What would it take for me to be able to edit my posts in the TSO rules section? Every time we make a minor change, I have to repost the entire TSO Proposed Rules End quote

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can blend the thread into one post if you wish. Let me know what exactly you would like done.
Sorry Cal. Guess you are the new mod in there now.:)

Try it and let me know. I got you set up.
Thanks Cal.
If you need anymore help call me at 916-952-9567

From Otto:

"That would leave out the TA block then wouldnt it?
The wording is just fine"

I guess it's a case of my wanting things stated more clearly. Since the rule said "Buick blocks", I mearly rewrote it to say that. I believe most on this list have the capability to do that. I would not consider the T/A block a Buick block. As you said, it's a T/A block. Granted, it can accept Buick components. If you want it allowed, include it in the rules, don't let it be inferred. Rules should not be subject to interpretation, if simply stating things more clearly can illiminate any possible confusion. Also, use of words like "should" do not belong in any set of rules, unless, of course, their use is meant to leave things open to interpretation.

Night Train said:
From Otto:

"That would leave out the TA block then wouldnt it?
The wording is just fine"

I guess it's a case of my wanting things stated more clearly. Since the rule said "Buick blocks", I mearly rewrote it to say that. I believe most on this list have the capability to do that. I would not consider the T/A block a Buick block. As you said, it's a T/A block. Granted, it can accept Buick components. If you want it allowed, include it in the rules, don't let it be inferred. Rules should not be subject to interpretation, if simply stating things more clearly can illiminate any possible confusion. Also, use of words like "should" do not belong in any set of rules, unless, of course, their use is meant to leave things open to interpretation.

Maybe you can be RRA next year in TSO and write the rules the way you want them. My compliments to Cal for his work on the rules and putting up with us.

Yes Otto the rules are fine.

Lets race.

To be honest Ted, I don't care what the rules are, but just feel they should be unambiguous and not open to interpretation, at least that's what I thought the definition of "rule" should be (there's that word "should" again. See how strong it is...). From a few of the posts here, I guess that is not the case. I guess you guys would rather complain about what a rule means than have it clearly stated, and some of the rules as they exist now, clearly are open to interpretation, while others are more bounded. Guess some of the Buick racers would rather argue a point than spend their time more fruitfully.

tso rules

:) i agree ted, bowling green and morocco + local track is all the races we will attend in 2006. :) oc,

Night Train said:
To be honest Ted, I don't care what the rules are, but just feel they should be unambiguous and not open to interpretation, at least that's what I thought the definition of "rule" should be (there's that word "should" again. See how strong it is...). From a few of the posts here, I guess that is not the case. I guess you guys would rather complain about what a rule means than have it clearly stated, and some of the rules as they exist now, clearly are open to interpretation, while others are more bounded. Guess some of the Buick racers would rather argue a point than spend their time more fruitfully.

Are you racing TSO with the rest of us?