2007 Harley Davidson info needed

turbov6joe

Signal 1 J-12
I've got my sights set on a new 2007 HD Night Train...purchase will be in the spring of 2007. Anyhow, I'm looking for info from those of you that own or know of someone that owns one of the new 96" motors with the 6 speed gearbox; specifically in a soft tail configuration. I'm wanting to hear feedback on the motor and tranny be it good, bad, or indifferent. What I'm not looking for is opinions like "don't buy a Harley, buy a Victory" etc...
I heard a story from 1 guy who said the new tranny is noisy and shifts rough....any validity to this or is it isolated?

TIA

The 96" twin cam is a nice running engine & is responding well to the usual mods. The B (balanced) version used in the Softails is very smooooooth with no more noticeable vibration than a similar TC88b. The 6 speed transmissions shift very well but do have a little gear whine on some bikes. Only in the upper gears & is easily corrected with a set of Mufflers. haha

I was told that it's a real bitch to mod the new bikes...O2 sensors and the ecm get in the way...any truth to this? Then dealer told me that anything more then a set of Screaming Eagle slip ons and airfilter requires a complete emc retune and will void the HD warranty. What I want is some good sound and additional power, what I don't want is to be on a cross country ride...have a problem...drop into a HD dealer and be denied warranty work and worst yet have the warranty dropped. Was this dude for real or was he blowing smoke up my arse:confused:

The new engines are no more difficult to mod & i feel easier in some ways. The new ecm used is mutch more user freindly & accepts moderate gains with ease. The closed loop system is able to adjust for air flow changes in the engine but keeping a strong map signal is critical. I use Woods cams with high lift & short duration & it keeps the computer happy. Be carefull with the mods if you are warranty concerned. Even an air filter & muffler change will technicaly void your warranty. If you have noticed the Screamin' Eagle product line is getting smaller & smaller & HD is really tightening the belt with warranty repairs. If you want to play you have to pay. Harley gives you a good base to play with so f@#k the factory & have fun with your bike.

Like most of my motor toys excluding the Regal I never break the case until it's out of warranty...Basically for now I want to add some sound and HP via pipes and a filter....the big mods will come after the warranty expires. Thanks for the info!

I was told that it's a real bitch to mod the new bikes...O2 sensors and the ecm get in the way...any truth to this?

You bet, that is the biggest problem with the new bikes.

My boss had his 111 inch american iron horse with the baker 6 speed, bike was fun and loud. But when he added the filter and no baffles, it needed a tune immediately.
If you do decide to modify it, its gonna need a tune to get it richened up.

HD is the same, guy at work just purchased a 2006 HD and its gonna need a tune soon..

Did i mention my boss was hit by a car at 45MPH?
Rigamortis set in and had 1% chance to live when the ambulance showed up?

True story, it was this september.

He is alive and well, just broke his back, leg,hands, head, and was in the hospital for 1 1/2 months.

Being blind in one eye is the only setback.

Lucky sob if you ask me....

Call me tomorrow and you can talk to Dave at work, see how he likes his bike.
They all have had bikes their entire lives.
BW :smile:

Sucks about your boss, I remember when you posted something about that a while back.

I like Ironhorse bikes but they are a bit too expensive for me....remember I'm just a poor old underpaid cop:biggrin:

Did you ever look for the PP for me?

I've got my sights set on a new 2007 HD Night Train...purchase will be in the spring of 2007. Anyhow, I'm looking for info from those of you that own or know of someone that owns one of the new 96" motors with the 6 speed gearbox; specifically in a soft tail configuration. I'm wanting to hear feedback on the motor and tranny be it good, bad, or indifferent. What I'm not looking for is opinions like "don't buy a Harley, buy a Victory" etc...
I heard a story from 1 guy who said the new tranny is noisy and shifts rough....any validity to this or is it isolated?

TIA

Try this forum. Harley Davidson Forum - Enthusiast Forums for Harley Davidson Motorcycles
Good bunch of guys willing to help anyone. Lottsa good info...