You can type here any text you want

200R4-rebuild core, I final got one and need advise

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

fc227

1986 Grand National
Hello everyone,

Well I picked up a 200r4 core for a rebuild to stick in my oldsmbuick. Here are the numbers (code) off of it.

090-1T840G0128

Besides it being a 1984 tranny what else does this tell me?

I have rebuilt several engines this will be my first tranny. So any input is welcome.

Is there anything I need to know before I crack it open?

I would like to use a 3000 rpm stall lock up converter in it, I have a 3000 rpm in the 350th right now, it great for launching, but I would like to lock up the converter in the higher gears and have the OD for the highway.

Run a lock-up controller and you can control when it locks up from inside the cockpit. You can get them from TCI, B&M, and several other sources. I have heard that if you are not running a computer that you may have to get a module that runs that tranny but I think the controller is really all you need.

I plan on building my own. I'm going to make it lock the converter up when it goes into drive.

But I plan on tearing it down this weekend to see what shape it is in.

Yep that's the number off the plate. I got it halfway apart yesterday. I will be posting picture to my web site so people can see. What the parts look like. SO far the clutches look fine. But the drum is all grooved from the band. Also the pump looks like that casting has hair line cracks in it.

Originally posted by fc227
Hello everyone,

Here are the numbers (code) off of it.

090-1T840G0128

090 = julian date 31 mar

1 = shift first shift

T = Three rivers plant

84 = model year

0G0 = valve body model

0128 = serial number

Jim

I have a 200 r trans from a turbo buick. The tailshaft moves around like it needs the driveshaft yoke fitted to provide the rearmost bearing. Can this be normal? My 700r4 is not like this, but the housings are different.
Pruit

Back