20w-50

Just a thought....... the tech line for Shell says that their Rotella T 15w/40 (which is designed to be used in diesels) still has zinc in it because it is an additional process to remove it and since diesels do not run catalytic converters there is no need to remove the zinc. I have been using this in all my flat tappet cam engines for the past 4 years. No failures yet, maybe just lucky.

Late model diesels in fact do run cats. But we still run Rotella without issues.

Just a thought....... the tech line for Shell says that their Rotella T 15w/40 (which is designed to be used in diesels) still has zinc in it because it is an additional process to remove it and since diesels do not run catalytic converters there is no need to remove the zinc. I have been using this in all my flat tappet cam engines for the past 4 years. No failures yet, maybe just lucky.

To continue your thought, in 2007, diesels were required to use low-sulfur fuel, and cats were installed in model year 2007 and later trucks.

At that point, Rotella, and other brands of diesel had to comply with the new oil specs which greatly reduced the amount of zinc.

I have had good success using diesel oils in performance engines, but I always add ZDDP to counteract the additional detergent in the newer diesel blends, and make sure there is adequate zinc and other extreme pressure additives. :smile:

As far a manufacturers "tech lines", my feeling is that give you the good stuff which is slanted by the advertising chumps, and avoid data or info NOT favorable to their product. :eek:

So no zinc required for roller cam, but how about synthetic oil for rollers?

Wherever you got that info from does not have much experience with performance engines? :confused:

Zinc, which is only one part of the extreme pressure oil additive, is necessary for many parts and areas in an engine.

Especially solid rollers and billet cams, which can have very high valve spring pressures, need protection as they are subject to wear quickly if not properly lubricated.

We are discussing performance builds here, not modern, daily drivers which do ok with synthetics.