218 218 Comp Cam

blckdrgn1987

11.78 @129
Greetings To All

I will keep this breif but you will need some history to give any type of educated suggestions.

Dad gave me his 87 GN in 97' and at the time the only mods to the motor were injectors, (blue top) plentium spacer, stock head ported & polished, bigger turbo T30B and big boy intercooler, and ATR headers. Gears were changed to 3.73 and some other small suspension mods. The car ran 11.78 @ 129 in BG in the early 90'.

I got the car after it sat for a few years and was hard on it, blew a head gasket and after months of trying to get the motor back to the way it was I had a self proclaimed speed shop do my motor. Now, until I can get the cash saved up to take the car down to Wildcat Motors and have it done right this is what I am stuck with.

The block was bored .30 over, crank was nitrited and Comp 218/218 cam installed. I have put Red's fuel pump, wires, and volt booster on the car and I am running his 93 chip. The car runs and is grumpy at best. I despratly need to get the car back on the road for multiple reasons. I see that more than a few of you have the 218/218 cam in your car and I am looking for any guidance as to how to get this car set up so that it is not so grumpy. By grumpy I mean ideal she will start but not have enough to idle but then I bump up the idle and once she is warm she is high idling. Any suggested would be welcome. I have not been happy with the motor since I got her back and I am trying to make the best till I get the cash saved up.

Thank you for your time

Have you checked the IAC "Idle Air Control"? The plastic thing under your throttle body. Unplug it, get a socket I think it's 1 1/8, unscrew it clean the junked up spring with carb cleaner reinstall Becarfull its plastic.

Ditch the Red's chip, I have solved a multitude of driveability problems on customers' and friends' cars by switching to a turbotweak chip or extender chip w/translator. I'd go with the translator/LS1 MAF anyway, more reliable than the stock 20 year old MAF.

Welcome Pilgrim!

Glad to have you on board! You'll find a lot of help here and a good community to be part of.
To address your problem, I would agree w/srgn, the chip is most likely the culprit. The 218/218 cam is not a problem for street use. Contact Eric at turbotweak or Mike at fullthrottlespeed, and either one can fix you up. just have all your mod's noted so that there's no discrepancies.
How are you adjusting the idle? the IAC is the proper way, I believe the instructions for the adjustments are on the gnttype.org web site. you can go on there for a host of knowledge. If you are not that familiar w/the gn, that is a place to bring you up to speed, and asking questions on these forums. If you adjusted the thumb screw on the t/body linkage, you might want to re-adjust it to approximately, 700-800rpm after the car warms up and when you install the new chip, adjust the idle properly.
Again Welcome to the board!:biggrin:

Thank you all for the input, I have been adjusting the idle by the thumb screw so I wil do as advised. Question about the LS1 MAF sensor is the "translator part of the chip software or is there an addition part I need to purchase?

I will admittly be asking some elementry questions due to the technology advancements since I was actively involved in the Buick realm. Thanks again for the warm welcom and all the advise.

The translator is a device that plugs in between your stock MAF connector and the new MAF. It translates the signals from your new MAF to mimic the output of your original MAF. The translator can be purchased from FULL THROTTLE SPEED - Store Front Page or you may find a used one in the parts for sale section. Once you get the chip, etc. sorted out, a scanmaster will help you tune the car as it displays the vital parameters that need to be adjusted to properly tune the car.

While checking ....

into the maf offerings, Mike also offers a maf-less system. If your not in an immediate need, check both sides. Mike is more than happy to help out. Try to bring yourself up to speed on the new technology if you have the time. Our venders have made great strides forward just over the last 5 years. Boost is addicting!:eek: so plan for the future!:biggrin: