229 crankshaft

R

Rockin

I have a 229 crankshaft that only the main's have rolled fillets. Just wondering if the rods should have rolled fillets also? or Maybe the rod area has been turned down on the crankshaft.

Wrong answer! All have fillets on the mains but some don't on the rods. I have turned down .030" on the rods and still have fillets visible in that area. You have a standard naturally aspirated crank there, not a turbo crank.

229 is the casting number. The raw casting was used for both turbo and nonturbo cranks. It's the finish work that distinguishes them (the rolled fillets on the rod journals).

As Ken said, the turbo and non-turbo cranks can have the same casting number...It's just the added step(rolled fillets on rod journals) that was done to the non-turbo cranks to make them into turbo cranks...

229 was a casting #
877 was another #

So we should try to use a rolled fillet crank #229 for our turbo cars. Has anybody used the Non rolled fillet rod / NA crank on turbo cars? I have two of them and wanted to use them in other turbo engines?

Originally posted by Rockin
So we should try to use a rolled fillet crank #229 for our turbo cars. Has anybody used the Non rolled fillet rod / NA crank on turbo cars? I have two of them and wanted to use them in other turbo engines?

Not a good practice. GM spent the extra $$$ to do rolled fillets for good reason in the turbo motors.

Know of 3 engines locally that someone had used non-rolled fillet 229 cranks that took out rod and main bearings after a short time.

FWIW I run a NA crank and no caps in my wifes Turbo T and its best is 11.48@114 at 24psi, as well as other multiple 11 and 12 second runs. Car is filled with 116 with a Jim Testa chip.

Not sure if that helps or hurts but just my experience.

Is there any quantifyable information as to how much stronger the rolled fillet cranks are? I pulled a 109 block from a salvage yard, and it has a non-turbo crank in good shape. What about the cranks fails in cars running low 12s and slower?

I also have the goodwrench 109 with that crank(rolled mains only), i've made over 30 passes and 2 years of street abuse. Car ran 11.62. I've just pulled the motor to put in another car. The crank and bearings are ok.