You can type here any text you want

231 v6

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

kelys

Which one of the 231 engines are strongest. And where to buy performance parts for the 231 engine:)

The 231 CID engine started in 75 and was produced until a few years ago. Are you looking for RWD block info or???

The 231 CID engine started in 75 and was produced until a few years ago. Are you looking for RWD block info or???
Iam looking for the strongest block. Or are the early and the late blocks the same?

The strongest block is not a production piece if you plan on a RWD app. There are differences in each one but Buick also had the Stage blocks and they are the strongest from Buick. The strongest one that I know of is the TA performance block. What you plan on doing with it will make a difference in which block you want to use.

Iam looking for a engine strong enough to 450 hp. Its for a Lotus esprit:)

450 hp. Is a walk in the park for any production V6 by Buick since 1980. Start with a 4.1 liter because it has a bigger bore and will breathe better. It is the same as a 3.8 externally. No replacement for displacement. If you have the money buy a stroker kit and make it a 274engine. Use a RJC block girdle and it will be fine a 700+ hp. Providing it is crack free. A set of TA aluminum heads and an Edelbrock performer manifold with porting and good compression and you will have a nice NA engine. If you turbo it........then we can have FUN!

450 hp. Is a walk in the park for any production V6 by Buick since 1980. Start with a 4.1 liter because it has a bigger bore and will breathe better. It is the same as a 3.8 externally. No replacement for displacement. If you have the money buy a stroker kit and make it a 274engine. Use a RJC block girdle and it will be fine a 700+ hp. Providing it is crack free. A set of TA aluminum heads and an Edelbrock performer manifold with porting and good compression and you will have a nice NA engine. If you turbo it........then we can have FUN!

Ken,

I don't mean to hijack this guy's thread, but a NA 4.1L with a stroker kit, with the TA aluminum heads, Edelbrock manifold and set to a high compression ratio, what kinda of power are we talking about. My son is 16 and he wants a Trans Am, I think an older body style and he has asked me if I could put a turbo V6 in his. I said we'll see. The best part of all this is it is his money left to him when my money past. College is covered, he has about 15k to play around with. I would like to put an NA motor in, obviously built to support a turbo. Or we might just find him a decent one with and LS1 and modified it.

Go LS. No reason to build a TA with a Buick engine. REAL pain to do with an F-body. You have to use FWD 3.8 heads and custom headers. (or TTA headers if going turbo)

Go LS. No reason to build a TA with a Buick engine. REAL pain to do with an F-body. You have to use FWD 3.8 heads and custom headers. (or TTA headers if going turbo)

Really, a Friend of mine and Proprietor of Aggressive Performance did. He didn't mention what it took to do it, but in some of the pictures he welded to cross braces that formed a V across the chassis and I asked him why and said so it wouldn't flex the chassis so badly. Ironically the guy, after having the turbo v6 installed, sold the car last year for 11k. The guy that bought it, turned around and sold if for 16k. The car was in immaculate condition. I will find out what year it was. I think it was an "older" model, meaning before 97 or 98.

who sells stroker kits for our engines? well kinda know that full throttle has em but do i only need to change the pistons to get the high compression? or?

If you build a stroker 3.8 or 4.1, and want high compression, you are looking at custom pistons. The stroker kits usually have low compression pistons for a turbo. Figure around $900.00 with pins,retainers, and rings. It would be better to buy a crank and rods, then have the pistons made after you get a block and see what size the bore is going to be. The rods will need to be clearanced so they will not hit the cam with a stroker crank. I think Weber sells K1 rods that they will clearance for you for a fee. You also need an internally balanced flywheel and vibration dampner, unless you want to have the crank balanced for externally balanced flwheel and dampner. I estimate about 300-325 HP NA with aluminum heads and a roller cam.

The TTA needs a deeper dish than typical GN stroker kits due to a smaller combustion chamber. (if you want to maintain the stock compression ratio.) The 1989 Turbo Trans AM came with a modified Buick GN engine. THey had different heads, pistons, headers, intercooler, down pipe, cold air intake pipe, and a few other differences. An LS engine would be a MUCH cheaper choice. A complete LS series engine out of a truck is less than $1000, ready to run. A complete TTA engine is going to be MUCH, MUCH more.

Back