You can type here any text you want

240 amp altenator ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ikle

I have bought a 240 amp altenator to replace my stock one,a friend of mine suggested not to use it because of the fear of having an electrical problem do to the high amps it puts out.Does any one have this altenator,if so have you had any problems with it, how long have you had it and did you use your stock positive battery cable or did you go with a bigger gauge wire,if you did upgrade positive battery cable what gauge did you run.thanks,ikle.

i can only assume if the altinator is made for the car its probably going to be ok but you may want to change to a heavier guage wire just in case?? idk on this one. just bolt it on and see what happens.

Unless the system is calling for full alt output, the 240A capability is not an issue.
Add up the amp draws and see where you are. If you are needing 240A all the time, U R in trouble!

I run one, works perfect, I use the powerbastards gage 0 wire from the alternator to the battery, had to switch to a smaller belt as well. With twin fans, twin fuel pumps, big radio amp, alky pump and all the other stuff the WOT draw was to much for the 120amp alt.
Mike

Unless the system is calling for full alt output, the 240A capability is not an issue.
Add up the amp draws and see where you are. If you are needing 240A all the time, U R in trouble!

Exactly, it only puts out 240 at Max so you better not be at max all the time or you have other issues. Its just a "power on demand" kind of thing.

Back