You can type here any text you want

Overheating

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Atompilot

Hi, any help would be appreciated. About a month ago after an hour of driving the car would start to overheat, just had an idiot light at that time but now have a proper gauge. Replaced the thermostat and radiator as well as a new fan. Went out today it was rock solid at 180 degrees the whole drive, then right around an hour and 15 minutes of driving the temperature started to rise. I was almost home, by the time I pulled into the driveway the temperature was 240 degrees and the reservoir was almost full. At a loss for what it could be.

Thanks

Atom

Just a thought, do you have anything to monitor the knock sensor? I once had a weird overheating problem and it turned out that a lifter tick was tripping the knock sensor and retarding my ignition on the highway, and causing the car to overheat.

How well is the water circulating in the rad when the thermostat opens?

Turns out it was a head gasket, in the process of changing everything on the top end.
IMG_2864.jpeg

Hopefully by the end of December should be back up and running. Thanks for the replies.

A

Looks like cylinder 5 was the problem, definitely leaking valve guides plus the piston was steam cleaned.

Back