Which thermostat for E85?

mblum

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
My car has a 160 degree thermostat in it, was in there when I got the car. Recently I replaced the original radiator and with running E85 and during cool weather and highway driving the coolant temps only hit 150. Temps stay right at 160 during city driving in cooler temps.

The highest coolant temp I've saw this week in 100 degree weather was 170 degrees.

I'm considering switching to a 180 degree thermostat. The car will see 100 degree weather in the summer and 40's in the spring and fall.

For folks running E85 what thermostat do you run and what are your target coolant temps?

Thats where my head was at too Chuck. It wasn't a problem with the old radiator as the car ran warm.

I have seen this as well
I didn't address it as one of my cars was running 140 degrees pretty consistently
The result is haven't had a single issue.
Still havent touched it other than take it out😉

We run our cars hard and on the street
With a goal of repeated hits.
Gotta keep it cool

My concern, and why I asked the question was if water vapor or condensation in the engine would become a problem at the lower temps. Mr Spool, so that hasn't been a problem I take it.

The other issue is running a LU converter on the highway, when the outside temps drop into the 40's and 50's it takes 15-20 minutes for the trans to hit 140 degrees. I have my cooler lines routed to the external trans cooler first, then rad cooler, then back to trans.

I run a 180 in our wagon. Gotta have some heat when it’s cold outside.

My concern, and why I asked the question was if water vapor or condensation in the engine would become a problem at the lower temps. Mr Spool, so that hasn't been a problem I take it.

The other issue is running a LU converter on the highway, when the outside temps drop into the 40's and 50's it takes 15-20 minutes for the trans to hit 140 degrees. I have my cooler lines routed to the external trans cooler first, then rad cooler, then back to trans.
No that hasn't been a problem running at the lower temps
With regard to the transmission the radiator does not dictate transmission temps
We run non lock mainly.
We also run in cold and hot temps.
If I was to run through the radiator I would look at temps in the conditions you are running the car and make a decision from that data.
My tranny temps are on the low side even in cold weather.

Just be aware of what FAN temp turn on you have, a lot of us do around 175 which means with a 180 thermo you'll have the fans running constantly in warmer weather situations. If you're seeing 90-100 degree weather temps having the fans function during those days is far more important so don't burn them out.

Just check, then possibly change the fan turn on to say 184 and off at 180.

I'm going to the 180 degree over the winter and I plan to have the chip re burned to adjust the fan settings.

Thanks for the reminder!

It is a problem, but it's not a big problem if you're running quality oil and changing it every 1500-3000 miles.

The oil needs to get above 212 to boil off water and E85 from the blowby that might condense in the oil. If that isn't happening, the additive package will typically handle it as long as you're changing the oil frequently. The way to know for sure is to send a sample off to a lab and have it checked.

It is a problem, but it's not a big problem if you're running quality oil and changing it every 1500-3000 miles.

The oil needs to get above 212 to boil off water and E85 from the blowby that might condense in the oil. If that isn't happening, the additive package will typically handle it as long as you're changing the oil frequently. The way to know for sure is to send a sample off to a lab and have it checked.
Really?
Well I havent seen a single issue.
But I don't wait untill x of miles to change my oil😉
And I only run synthetic oil.

160 stat
And mobil11550 here
Changed based on look and hits
So alot😉
Want to be cheap then I dont know what to say
I make 1200+hp on a 109
So I'm on a different schedule than most but not all😎

The oil needs to get above 212 to boil off water and E85 from the blowby that might condense in the oil.
Well I've never seen an e85 even get to that
Even the ones that are hurt.
And I certainly wont target 212 on the water temp for a street car or race car.
So I guess we'll just change the oil more😉

My car has a 160 degree thermostat in it, was in there when I got the car. Recently I replaced the original radiator and with running E85 and during cool weather and highway driving the coolant temps only hit 150. Temps stay right at 160 during city driving in cooler temps.

The highest coolant temp I've saw this week in 100 degree weather was 170 degrees.

I'm considering switching to a 180 degree thermostat. The car will see 100 degree weather in the summer and 40's in the spring and fall.

For folks running E85 what thermostat do you run and what are your target coolant temps?
I think you may be having the same experience I have with my 86.I have also the 160 thermostat but was puzzled when the (aftermarket) gauge would read as low as 147 on cold days. Then I realized that the aftermarket gauge was connected to a sensor in an alternate spot. So, I checked coolant temp on the scanmaster which has a sensor in the normal spot. Sure enough - 160. So, I am guessing that the gauge is hooked up to a spot closer to the cold water coming out of the radiator and thus registers a lower temp.

I think you may be having the same experience I have with my 86.I have also the 160 thermostat but was puzzled when the (aftermarket) gauge would read as low as 147 on cold days. Then I realized that the aftermarket gauge was connected to a sensor in an alternate spot. So, I checked coolant temp on the scanmaster which has a sensor in the normal spot. Sure enough - 160. So, I am guessing that the gauge is hooked up to a spot closer to the cold water coming out of the radiator and thus registers a lower temp.
I have checked this and typically my AutoMeter is within 3-4 degrees of what the Scanmaster and Powerlogger are displaying. When I do see a variance is before the thermostat opens for the first time on a cold start, but that is only during the first 5 minutes of driving from a cold start and there are no WOT pulls until my engine and trans temps are where I want them.

I'm going to keep my 160 chip and just give the 180 chip a try and see what the results are, I may switch back to the 160 after I do a back to back test.

I do plan to send my oil off to Blackstone this spring and see what the results are.

Thanks for all the input.

I have checked this and typically my AutoMeter is within 3-4 degrees of what the Scanmaster and Powerlogger are displaying. When I do see a variance is before the thermostat opens for the first time on a cold start, but that is only during the first 5 minutes of driving from a cold start and there are no WOT pulls until my engine and trans temps are where I want them.

I'm going to keep my 160 chip and just give the 180 chip a try and see what the results are, I may switch back to the 160 after I do a back to back test.

I do plan to send my oil off to Blackstone this spring and see what the results are.

Thanks for all the input.
I think that the clue was that the differential grows during colder weather. That would be because the coolant coming out of the radiator is colder than in the summer. And that is what your autometer sees, the built in sensor sees the coolant later.

hello people: If U have a TT chip give em a call and ask your questions. I did concerning going to a 180 not E85 and he said a chip reprogram is not needed.
IBBY

Well I've never seen an e85 even get to that
Even the ones that are hurt.
And I certainly wont target 212 on the water temp for a street car or race car.
So I guess we'll just change the oil more😉
For what it's worth, the oil in my car generally is 15-20 degrees above the water temp.