26" or 28" Slicks???

billsgn

Hard Member
I see a lot of recommendations for 26" tall slicks, yet see more 28" slicks in your signatures....which is better and why?

I just bought (brand new) 28x9/15 Goodyear Eagle Drag Slicks which I am mounting on stock GN wheels and I am hoping they will work okay with my combo....which this weekend will change to include TA49, KMDP with dump, LT1 valve springs, Airbags, SSM lower control arms, Cottons HD front and rear springs, and CE front drag shocks.

The reason I went with a 28in tall tire was I thought it would allow me to launch harder and give me more mph's. Also, the 9" will fit on the stock wheels nicely.

28" tires are more consistant on slippery tracks and are easier to launch. Makes sure you have a line lock, though :)

My experience is that a 26" tire works best for a basically stock setup. A 28" tall tire will slow down a stock setup because of the gear ratio change. I went to a 28" tall tire because of my loose non-lockup convertor. It lowers my rpm's thru the traps and as UNGN said, more consistant launch on "iffy" tracks.
Larry

Originally posted by billsgn
I just bought (brand new) 28x9/15 Goodyear Eagle Drag Slicks

WOW, 28 by 9/15ths. that wont hook very well;) J/K i had a 26 inch tall tire on my car when i got it and it would spin them at the top of first and chirp them even with the 10 psi, bad injectors that caused detonation, and Aamco tranny w/a 1700 stall converter. i put on some 28 inch tall tires and now w/50s, a good tranny w/ 3K stall converter, and 16 psi w/no knock, they will hook good up until about a 3 psi launch and will chirp hard going into 2nd at anything over 1/2 gas and i have heard them scratch 3rd at WOT once at about 80 something degrees out probably and a cool engine. BTW, the 26 inch tall tires were some Sears brand Viper tires and my 28 inch tall tires on there now are BFG Radial T/As. i wanna try a set of 26 inch tall tires just to see the difference on the street. im sure when i get alky i will be better off w/the 28 inch tall tires.

haha....funny guy!!!

My street tires are BFG's 255-60x15's which are about 26 inches tall and they light up fairly easy. I haven't had the slicks on the car yet so I have no idea how they will work.

i run 255/60's, and if i launch with any boost at all on them i wind up holding about 4500rpm's in 2nd while barely moving. spool to zero boost works good on em' though.. lights em up at the end of 1st and sits on em' hard hitting 2nd as long as the engine is hot and its warm outside.. now when its all cooled down.....:D