You can type here any text you want

26 or 28" tire?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tom Tom Turbo

Turbo Goes Woo Woo
I'm looking into a new set of slicks or drag radials....should I be shopping for 26 or 28" tires? I do alot more 1/8th mile drag racing, but the car will see 20-30 1/4 mile passes per year also.

I'd say 28" based on your cars performance mods and where it should be as far as mph is concerned.

I'm really undecided on this too. My concern is that the 28" affects the speedo, and this makes me wonder how it will affect my Turbotweak chip. :confused:
Which one really hooks better? The 28 is taller, but the 26 puts more rubber on the road.

Chris, my concern also....regardless of size, my car isn't cutting the 60' times I would like, but I will need new slicks, as I have new wheels coming and I am not going to drill these new ones for rim screws, so these slicks will be useless.

Chris, my concern also....regardless of size, my car isn't cutting the 60' times I would like, but I will need new slicks, as I have new wheels coming and I am not going to drill these new ones for rim screws, so these slicks will be useless.

I've been told that the 60 is a better tire because of it's height. I has more "crinkle grip". But I also don't like the way it raises the back end.

Do 28s.

Guys, as far as worrying about your TurboTweak chip, I just talked to Eric recently because I am getting a new alky chip and I asked him if I needed to get my speedo calibrated since I'm installing taller tires, he said he can compensate for it within the chip, so your speedo might still be off, but he will make sure that the ECM is seeing the right things at the right time.

You know you change the speedo driven gear pretty easily. It's the one on the end of the speedo cable where it attaches to the tranny. I forget the color and tooth count needed, but TCI has a chart somewhere on their website. You need to know the color of the drive gear (inside tailshaft housing), can't remember what color is stock on GN's. New gears are fairly pricey, but a transmission parts supplier will probably have good used cheap. That's what I did. HTH.

Back