You can type here any text you want

275/40 17 vs 285/40 17

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

grocerygetter

My old Nitto 555s were much narrower than my MT DR's...both 275s. You guys think the nitto 285/40 555 would be about the width of the MT 275/40? I'me going to a real track setup...convo pros arrive in two days...so I'm putting some street tread back on the 17s.

What sucks big time is the fact that different manufacturers vary slightly even though the tires are the same size. Id say do some research. Check actual tread patch width vs overall width, etc. I just put Firestone Indy 500's on my WE4, 275/60R15 on the rears, pulled off 255/60R15 BFG's, they were almost exactly the same width, with the 275 obviously being taller. I was VERY disappointed!! If you can get a 285/40R17 in the same tire, I say go for it. HTH

when looking at tires measurement like at the rim width they measure at makes a big differrence. If you use a 8 inch rim on a 275 it will ball up a little not like your 255 that are spread more evenly.

Thanks for the clarification xcessiv, yes it does make a difference. Manufacturers also specify a rim width range to which the measurements apply. Such as 7" - 8.5" rim width, etc. I understand the difference and in my personal experience I noticed the width being similar on the 275 Indy's and the 255 BFG's before mounting, and compared after mounting on stock T-type wheels. Still disappointing the difference between the manufacturers. Also had a 275 BFG for reference, and it was HUGE compared to the 275 Indy's. HTH

Back