2800 stall enough for pt52

S

SLOS-10

plan to go with a pt52 and 50's. Just wondering if a 2800 stall is going to be enough to spool this bad boy. any suggestions.

Yeah that will work on your truck Im runnin the PTE52 on my syclone. I was going to do a 2800 but decided to go to 2900 and works great I think 2800 would be fine

i have a 51 and it spools like a dead pig with my 2800. Im going to a 3200 as i drive it on the street.

Dead Pig...

I just got a new PT51 and it also spooled like a dead pig with the stock tranny and converter. But John Pearcy got me a PTS 911 3000-3200 Lock Up and I cannot keep these tires rom blowing away off the line. :D :eek:

Get a 3200 stall converter and be done with it cause if you get a 2800 you might not like how it spools, but with the 3200 stall converter it will spool up like a banshee for sure!

Originally posted by Steve Wood
Probably not...I would say 3000 minimum as above.

3000 should be good if your car is tuned fairly decent. I just had my convertor tightened up because it was foot stalling at 3600+ on the street tires at about 7psi boost which was waaaay too loose. It didn't actually feel like it spooled the turboa ll that well either but I suspect that was because it was too loose.

I have only had it for a day since it was tightened but last night it broke loose at about 2600rpm on the street tires, without my brake prop valve adjusted.

I figure it should foot stall around 3000-3200 on a sticky track with slicks with the prop valve adjusted. It spooled like mad last night on the street though :D Definately more fun to drive since it was tightened :D :D

Anyone running a 12" 3000 stall with this turbo? I'm in the process of adding GN1 heads to my car and was wondering about upgrading turbos to a PT-52. I currently have a TA49 with the other boltons and a Rich Gomez converter. I got the heads as a gift and don't want to get into alot of money making them work better right now. I'm using pump gas (91 octane) and denatured with the SMC kit. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Paul.

Well I guess the reall question is!! Are you asking about this to go onto an S-10 (your title) or a GN. I have the PTE52 on a Syclone with 3" exhuast thru muffler and hi flow cat. I have 1.66 60' and spool up is almost as fast as stock. I have NO idea how this turbo would behave on a GN. In a SY with the 52 an art car 10'' lockup 2900 stall its anything but a pig.

Look at the sig...........

87 WE4
Current mods:
chip(s), injectors, pump,regulator,K&N

3000 should be plenty......... you doing a stock size or 9" converter?

I have a PT51 and red stripe 2800. Takes awhile to spool at the track. As in "real" slow short times. I'm usually at 2.0 with a best of 1.86 since that combo. With the stock D5 and stock turbo, I was cutting 1.6x-1.7x with ease.

I'm up in the air with the stall right now. I can launch on the street exactly like at the track. So that means that I run exactly the same times on the street :) No wheel spin and once it starts spooling, it pulls like a beast!

Tough call, get a higher stall converter and be faster at the track and blow the tires off on the street. Or be slow at the track and fast on the street.

hmmmm..this is a local buick guys converter. He wants 200 bucks for it and it just got freshened. DOn't know if I should go that way or not. I got the 50's yesterday. Turbo will be in by the end of the week.

You won't be happy with less than a 3000 stall 10"LU.
The '52 is a great turbo for mostly street driving, and works well with GN1 heads. IMO.