You can type here any text you want

3.5in down pipe with external waste gate

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Which is exactly what I do. With the prices of stainless headers typically exceeding a grand, 45+mm wastegates exceeding $400 and stainless downpipes fetching over $300+, I decided to take a chance on the products that Mark offers. I got the headers, downpipe, wastegate and test pipe for around the same price of a set of TA headers alone would cost. I knew the headers were a proven design that worked well (they are a Kenne Bell copy and their headers have been well in the 8s since the early 90s), it was a matter of the quality of fabrication that I was taking a chance on.

Well, Mark isn't just a vendor for this products. He uses them on his own car and gives an honest assessment of their performance up front. That was good enough for me to take a chance, and I'm glad I did. The parts look every bit as good as other products costing twice as much, installed as easily as any other big-name company's parts I've had experience with over the years and have been performing just as well. Mark also supports this site which is another plus in my book.

I have seen that Mark supports the site and that is great. I have also seen that you are a advertisment for him as well. This is a business decision on what I do or dont do. I have learned lessons of trying to short cut things and end up spending the same money over and over again. This is why I created this thread so some people could and would respond who have learned their lessons on this product. Good or Bad..... So far I would say good, but the jury is still out. Why have no one else responded to this thread? Is this that new of a product?

I have PMed Mark and I have absolutely no problems with the guy. I can tell that he doesnt BS is customers with things he doesnt know for sure. Thats a great way to be.

Probably because everyone thats ponied up to run CO2 is using a name brand gate. Im not saying that gate wont work but when you spend the money to run CO2, you usually arent skimping.

I don't advertise for Mark as he doesn't pay me to promote the parts he sells. You started this thread to get people who have used these products to respond. I have some experience with the parts you're asking about, so I figured I'd contribute to the thread to help you out as best I can.

I hope I helped shed some light on these products for you. The Buick community has been duped and screwed over by enough so-called vendors and fabricators over the years. When one of them treats us like customers should be treated, I feel that their good word should be shared with the rest of the community...especially when they are also PART of the community like Mark is.

I hope whatever you choose to do works out for you. Either way, let us know which products you end up using and how they worked.:cool:

I don't advertise for Mark as he doesn't pay me to promote the parts he sells. You started this thread to get people who have used these products to respond. I have some experience with the parts you're asking about, so I figured I'd contribute to the thread to help you out as best I can.

I hope I helped shed some light on these products for you. The Buick community has been duped and screwed over by enough so-called vendors and fabricators over the years. When one of them treats us like customers should be treated, I feel that their good word should be shared with the rest of the community...especially when they are also PART of the community like Mark is.

I hope whatever you choose to do works out for you. Either way, let us know which products you end up using and how they worked.:cool:

You misunderstood me! my comment was meant to say that you are an advertisement b/c of the success of the parts on your vechile. Your comments have been appreciated and very good. Any time I buy a part and it works the way it was meant to, I am their advertisment b/c I proved that it is a good product.... follow me? Take a breathe. Your commenting just as I would have:cool: .....

Probably because everyone thats ponied up to run CO2 is using a name brand gate. Im not saying that gate wont work but when you spend the money to run CO2, you usually arent skimping.

More than likely, you're right.

That kind makes me wonder...

onedragin6, If you have already decided to ditch your old school boost controller and pony up the big bucks for an AMS 1000/CO2, why not touch base with Cal and ask what brand name gate and downpipe he recommends for your application and run with his advice?

Just curious.

onedragin6, If you have already decided to ditch your old school boost controller and pony up the big bucks for an AMS 1000/CO2, why not touch base with Cal and ask what brand name gate and downpipe he recommends for your application and run with his advice?

Just curious.

I might end up doing that, but right now I am curious about Marks product. Seems to me that it might have alot of potential..... The fact that the product is basically a 30min swap makes it very interesting. How long have you had it on your car turbonatr? What kind of boost/times you run with it?

I swaped in the new gate and DP at the same time I installed the headers, which was only about a week and a half ago. I've driven the car as much as I could since then, putting it through as many heating and cooling cycles as I could to see if there were going to be any exhaust leak issues or boost control issues. I've experienced zero issues so far. I've had the boost in the 16-18psi range with a couple of short bursts at around 23psi. The gate doesn't creep and doesn't seem to begin to open too soon which would slow spool time. As I said in my review of the install and first few test drives, the car spools quicker now with the new headers, gate and DP through a closed exhaust than it did with the stock headers, THDP and DeltaGate running an open exhaust.

I haven't run the car since the install as it's the middle of winter here in the northeast, but this engine has previously gone 10.70s in a full-weight GN off the foot brake on 9" tires. That was with a Turbonetics T-70 that was severely choked by a .58a/r turbine housing. The engine is now in my T which should be a bit lighter than the GN was and has a T-72 with a .82a/r turbine housing. I would expect the T to run low 10s with a good tune.

The price of the gate/DP combo is definately attractive as is Mark's reputation and customer service. Hell, the price of the 46mm gate AND DP is just a bit more than the price of a Turbonetics RG45 gate alone! And you're right, it's only a 30min swap.

Just curious.

The AMS will work on just about any dual port wastegate provided it is large enough to keep the boost low. One of my customers was even able to make it work with an actuator style setup. Feel free to call me with any questions.

HighPSI said:
The AMS will work on just about any dual port wastegate provided it is large enough to keep the boost low. One of my customers was even able to make it work with an actuator style setup. Feel free to call me with any questions.

Thanks for your input, Cal.

No problem. I want to clarify that the actuator setup was NOT a GM actuator. It was a custom built piece.

No problem. I want to clarify that the actuator setup was NOT a GM actuator. It was a custom built piece.

Thats pretty sweet... I believe our new ISAC controller will be able to control a stock actuator with CO2.

Yeah, the actuator you are talking about is the exact one that I was going to use until i created this thread. And I do mean exact one.:biggrin:

Chances are if it'll work with an actuator, it should work with the gate Mark sells.

No, wouldn't want it to, either. I'd want to install the bung exactly where I want it, not where the fabricator decided to drill a whole that particular day.

Personal preference I guess.:)

Back