You can type here any text you want

3.8 Buick motor identification?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbo1962

I have a Buick Motor and i was wondering if anyone could tell me what year this motor is and what it came out of. The number I found is 255241A0 or could be 25524140. The block is red, I have never seen a red block with black heads. Has turbo on top
Thanks

I have a Buick Motor and i was wondering if anyone could tell me what year this motor is and what it came out of. The number I found is 255241A0 or could be 25524140. The block is red, I have never seen a red block with black heads. Has turbo on top
Thanks

according to gnttype.org you have a 1985 block for RWD, should have 8445 heads, doesnt say it was used on a turbo car, maybe some did a conversion of a 3.8L carbed engine? the 25520329 was the turbo block correct? hth

Buick V6 History

It has a 20 bolt oil pan?

1985 switched to a 20 bolt from a 14 bolt.
i pulled the stuff below from the website.

Oil pan went 20 bolts from 14 bolts
New block, front cover and oil pan
Torque-to-yield non reusable head bolts

So it could still be a non turbo motor?

i have no personal experience with those years, but from what i have read, that "140" block was for a 85 RWD N/A engine, and the "329" block was the turbo block in 85. in 86-87 they had the "109" blocks

So that still doesn't tell me if it is a turbo motor?

not unless there is someway to use the last numbers of the VIN to find out the options of the car, i guess it is a production code of some sort. maybe see if a local buick dealer could look the last 8 of the VIN up?

Turbofish38 would know this for sure.
Maybe PM Eric & ask him? He is on this board isnt he? If not he's on Turbobuick.com daily.

Back