You can type here any text you want

3.8 turbo swap in 91 Camaro

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

LSTTYPE

I have recently acuired an 86 GN parts car that I intend to put in my 91 camaro. Is there anyone that would be interested in advising me through the prossess? I dont need help in the engine building process but I do need help in the wiring, brackets and head dept. I am under the impression that I need to get 3.0 FWD buick heads in order to keep my ac.I want to have the capability of runiing into the low 11s/ high 10s but still drive the car to Bowling Green from Kansas. I would greatly appreciate someone that I can start an email relationship regarding this project. Thanks

Go down a few threads on this site and find the thread "I'm a
newbe" and you will find some guys discussing this very same
swap. Hopefully Brendan(Leirch) will chime in and help you, he
is almost done with his GN/Camaro swap. HTH.

James

Yep, I have my car running and all of the bugs worked out I "Think". Finally got the rear end rebuilt and up and running. Took it for a drive Tuesday night.

Ran great. I didn't have an air filter on it though. The boost was peaking at 20lbs. Which I know was way too much, as soon as I saw it spike I let off. Immedialty got 2-3degree of knock.

I'm going to adjust the wastegate(probly going to have to thread it).

Where abouts in Kansas are you. We have a pretty good group here in Wichita Email me. BTW I have some heads in my shed that will work for ya.

Phil

I am in Topeka KS. I am good friends with Brian J, Shawn B, Nish and the rest of the gang. Im sure we may have met before. Were you perhaps at our Topeka gathering this summer? Anyways, I would be very interested in your heads if they are the correct ones that will allow me to still run my AC. Thanks

I have everything to do this swap, I was going to do it to a third gen but scrapped the project when I bought a '87 GN. I have a TTA motor that Im parting out and really need to get rid of this stuff. You will need the TTA heads to keep your AC. I am selling ported TTA heads now.But your going to need to purchase TTA headers to go with those heads. I have already sold mine but there are two on ebay right now. You can resuse most of your GN wiring harness, but it would be easier to find a TTA wiring harness. I have already sold mine. What transmission are you going to run? If you want to run a 200 your going to need to modify your crossmember, make an attachment for the torque arm and run a different drive shaft. You may want to run a 700 with an adapter plate to a BOP block. I have that plate for sell as well. Some other things your going to need is the vaccume block to run your brakes. You can get this at johnsperformance.com, I am going to keep mine if I ever choose to get rid of the hydroboost setup. I have all the AC brackets, lines and compressor if your interested. The lines hook right up to your third gen fbody AC setup. Your going to need to find motor mount frame pads. Or you can buy the $500 set of mounts from HRpartsNStuff.com. The TTA frame pads were the hardest thing for me to track down, it took me three years to come across some. For that reason im going to hold on to mine for a while. You could also use the frame pads from your regal and weld or drill them to your kmember. Your going to need to get a TTA downpipe as well. I just sold my ATR TTA downpipe 2 weeks ago. Email me at SheckyZ28@hotmail.com if you need any help. Have fun.

One more thing. If your planning on running high 10s low 11s, you better plan on getting another rear end. The stock '91 camaro rear end will not hold up.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that the 200r4 would be that much of a pain to drop in. I might stay with the 700 knowing that. How will the gn motor inerface with the guages and fuse box of a camaro? Wont most of the guages have to have some kind of resistor spliced in to work? Also does Caspers make a TTA wiring harness? THanks

Make sure you use a V8 700r4. Different bellhousing than a V6. I never got that far with the gauges. I was hoping the wiring harness would plug into the firewall and Id be good. I think caspers sell a TTA wiring harness, aroung $800. The problem I know you will have with your gauges is that it is a '91. Even if the gauges worked right off the bat, your speedometer wont. All '90 after Fbodies ran off a VSS. Not a speedometer cable like your '89 TTA.

Originally posted by LSTTYPE
I am in Topeka KS. I am good friends with Brian J, Shawn B, Nish and the rest of the gang. Im sure we may have met before. Were you perhaps at our Topeka gathering this summer? Anyways, I would be very interested in your heads if they are the correct ones that will allow me to still run my AC. Thanks

I wasnt in Topeka but yes I am friends with all those guys as well. ALSO my heads will allow you to keep the A/C.

thanks for all the great info guys! My 700 is a V8 700 so I think Ill stick with it for now. How much do you guys want for your heads? How about all your AC stuff including your compressor? I have doen some of the math and including rebuilding the motor I'll have more in this project than simply buying a nice clean TTA. However I guess it be a unique car and its something Ive always wanted to do. I might have to sell the rear end out of this parts GN to help finance some of these items? Any of you guys need parts or want to trade for parts?

The heads I have are not ready to go on a car they would need to be rebuilt. They are also not actual TTA heads but are the "515" replacement most use to port so they can keep the TTA heads for originality sake. You can have these heads for $25. we have a guy here locally who ports them for a very god price. He did Brians heads and mine on my TTA, search for the flow #'s I posted awhile back.
ok here is the data:

Had them done and this is what I got, remember this is with STOCK
valves.I didnt have them flowed over .450 simply because the stock
cam
wont go there and neither do most of the aftermarket cams we use. Bigger intake valves and better stainless exhaust valves would produce SIGNIFICANTLY better #'s

Intake
.100 54
.200 109.2
.300 154.8
.350 170.0
.400 179.1
.450 180.2

Exhaust
.100 55.7
.200 100.9
.300 120.7
.350 128.4
.400 144.8
.450 149.2

I have TTA specific AC lines if you're interested, I have the compressor too but that won't be taken off until my motor comes out next month

25$ sounds like a great deal to me. Can I still run the same shaft mounted rockers form our GN's or will I have to get an 86 FWD set up and run diffrenet front wheel drive valve covers?

Originally posted by LSTTYPE
25$ sounds like a great deal to me. Can I still run the same shaft mounted rockers form our GN's or will I have to get an 86 FWD set up and run diffrenet front wheel drive valve covers?
You have to run the TTA style rockers, which I might have on the heads and I may have some VC's too. VC's if I have them will be $15, they need sandblasting and painting as well!!

I will go look in the shed today and see exactly what I have still.

Phil

Back