You can type here any text you want

3000GT goes down

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

scojack_2001

Livin' Like A Refugee
I know it sounds untrue but its not. I was on my way to see a friend when the 3000GT pulls up next to me at a light. I look over and see a good looking blonde driving the car. The light turns green and she leaves pretty quick, so I follow. When she hits second, she floors it and I do the same. I had it in second to about 65 ( not good) and hit third. I went by her about halfway through third gear. and hit the overdrive at about 85. I slow down and let her go by me and turn first, and I notice that it was a base model SL. It did have dual exhaust, though. Maybe this honey couldn't drive, or maybe I got lucky. I'll take'em any way I can get em. Chalk one up for the v8 regal.

yeah boyeee

later.

sounds to me like she let you win....if that car was gonna beat you anywhere, its gonna be at the top end.

My wife's daily driver is a 3000GT SL. They are FWD, n/a, 3.0L V6's that, from the factory, put out 220 HP. They are also quite heavy, and even with a really good driver rowing a 5 speed, they are low 15 second cars at best (likely slower). The auto's are worse.

There are Twin Turbo AWD 300-320 HP versions that in stock form, are high 13 to low 14 second cars, and like all turbo cars, respond well to minor mods. But they too are very heavy and you just don't see many fast ones around.

The Dodge stealth is the sister car to the 3000GT. Im pretty sure that they had the same engines in them. Sad, the stealth just couldn't compete with the GT. There goes another domestic to an import.

BOOSTD

The Dodge stealth is the sister car to the 3000GT. Im pretty sure that they had the same engines in them. Sad, the stealth just couldn't compete with the GT. There goes another domestic to an import.

I guess I don't understand this comment. The Dodge Stealth is essentially a carbon-copy of the Mitsubishi 3000 GT. It is "domestic" in name only, as it was built right alongside the Mitsu in Japan. In fact, back when it first debuted in the early 90's, a Stealth was going to pace the Indy 500. However, there was such an outrcy that an "import" was going to pace the "Great American Race" that Dodge used the prototype Viper instead.

Originally posted by Bob Cosby
In fact, back when it first debuted in the early 90's, a Stealth was going to pace the Indy 500. However, there was such an outrcy that an "import" was going to pace the "Great American Race" that Dodge used the prototype Viper instead.
Good for Indy! ;)

So ......, I have been beating on a few of these things over the years in my 200k mile lt-1 Caprice. Never was sure they were all in it.:p

Originally posted by BOOSTD

The Mitsu was built in the USA and the Dodge Stealth was built in Japan. Go figure.

Sorry guys, Im no expert on these cars. I figured that the stealth was designed to compete with the 3000-GT and that was why they are so similer. Well, you learn something new every day.

3000-GT - USA?

Stealth - Japan?

Whatever

BOOSTD

I can't remember for sure but I think it was the 1991 Indy 500 that Dodge wanted the stealth to be the pace car.But they were turned down because it was made in Japan. They were the same car except for cosmetics. In my opinion the 3000 vr4 had better cosmetics than the stealth.

All 3000GTs and Stealths were built in Japan on the same assembly line. Differences are limited mostly to minor bolt-on exterior parts. Feature content varied from year to year, but they're essential the same car. For example, the '91-'93 Stealth TT and 3000GT VR4 both have AWD, 4-wheel steering, electronically controlled suspension, adjustable exhaust, etc. The VR4 also had electronically adjustable front and rear spoilers.

3000GTs/Stealths came in several models:

Base Stealth, new base 3000GTs: SOHC 3.0, 170hp, FWD
Stealth ES, Stealth R/T, 3000GT SL: DOHC 3.0, 222hp, FWD
'91-'93 Stealth R/T Turbo, VR4: AWD, 3.0 Twin Turbo, 300hp, 5spd
'94-'99 VR4, ''94-'96 Stealth TT: AWD, 3.0 TT, 320hp, 6 spd

The overwhelming majority of Stealths and 3000GTs are non-turbo FWDs and will run anywhere from high 14s (5 spd DOHC) to 17s (automatic SOHC). 1st gen turbos are good for high 13s-14 flat, 2nd gen turbos are a few tenths quicker. The 20 extra hp on the second gen turbos was due to a few psi more boost. The quickest of all the TTs is the '96 Stealth TT. It was the lightest of the turbos (no AWS or adjustable exhaust, etc.). The quickest bone stock Steatlh TT on record ran a 13.09.

Very basic mods (boost controller, air filter) will put any of the turbo cars in the 12s.

N/A 3000GT's are slooooooooooow. Just 2 days ago I raced one from a dead stop and from a roll in my 2000 F150XLT. It has a 5.4 and ran a whopping 15.99@83mph. (I took it to the track out of boredom since the GN has been apart for awhile). I had this car by 3 car lengths from the light and one length from a roll. At the light I looked in and saw that it was auto.

BTW, good kill!

Back