300m input shafts

jim44

Hello, ive got a 300m input shaft from cpt installed it into the overdrive planet carrier with the snap ring and it drops down way too far to the point that it grabbed the splines on the od ring gear (about .200 between the snap ring and carrier !) i called and spoke to art and he gave me to one of his builders who told me to mill .060 off of the splines wich i did and it no longer hit the ring gear, apparently the splines were cut way to far basicly past the lube hole for the planetary.
I took the transmission apart after a few hundred miles as im trying to chase down a problem with too much converter pressure knocking out my thrust bearing in the engine, the trans worked awesome but their were some metal flakes in the pan upon dissasembly witch i found to be coming from the input shaft bottoming out on the forward clutch shaft, i called cpt again and told them about the problem and they tried to say i was missing a washer or something of that nature and i explained to them this was not the case and that the clearances were carefully adjusted, anyways finally he said to send it to them and they would have a look at it.
I built a trans the year before with the same shaft and didnt have this problem..
Anyone had this happen to them ?

There wasn't a bushing in between the input and intermediate shafts?
They are not normally supposed to touch eachother as the splines on the shaft are supposed to keep it from goin to far down into the planet carrier, most ive seen are less than .o3o witch is part of the measurement for setting the shaft clearances

There's a roller bearing between the OD ring gear and planet. The distances can easily be calculated from the tab thrust washer surface on the back of the ring gear to the end of the splines. You will need to do a side by side to get the difference. I've seen plenty of problems with aftermarket shafts, planets, and ring gears over the years. So much so that it's a risk to use them without the ow be knowing that I can't be responsible for these parts when they don't fit and need extra work, or fail possibly causing a catastrophe when the pinion are jammed with the broken pieces at high speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was under the impression that a billet input pretty much required a billet splined piece on the plantetary as the hard input would rub and crack a stock planetary. Is this not the case?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

There's a roller bearing between the OD ring gear and planet. The distances can easily be calculated from the tab thrust washer surface on the back of the ring gear to the end of the splines. You will need to do a side by side to get the difference. I've seen plenty of problems with aftermarket shafts, planets, and ring gears over the years. So much so that it's a risk to use them without the ow be knowing that I can't be responsible for these parts when they don't fit and need extra work, or fail possibly causing a catastrophe when the pinion are jammed with the broken pieces at high speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It sounds like you really know your buicks inside and out, just sucks to spend big money on parts thinking your eliminating failure points and come to find someone else up the chain is just screwing stuff up and letting them pass on to the next guy, I had a sprague come apart on gn back in 89 on a stock 200r4 locked up the back wheels at 70 mph on the freeway, what a fun ride that was.