You can type here any text you want

3M scotchgard clear paint protection

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Venus

Anyone have any experience with this product? I just ordered a roll from Amazon to put on my cars. Both of them still have the original paint and stones just seem to beat the shit out of the front of these cars. Just looking for opinions or pictures from anyone who has installed this on their cars.

Thanks,
B-

I just painted mine and I am looking to do the same thing.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I installed 3M Scotch Guard paint protection 2 years a go. I think its a great product. A lot of new cars have it on them in small places. Make sure you watch the instruction videos and don't rush putting it on. Make sure you get the air bubbles out before you let it dry. Dennis

I installed 3M Scotch Guard paint protection 2 years a go. I think its a great product. A lot of new cars have it on them in small places. Make sure you watch the instruction videos and don't rush putting it on. Make sure you get the air bubbles out before you let it dry. Dennis

Has it discolored at all from being out in the sun? Turn Yellow at all?

My brother is a certified Paint Protection Installer by both 3M and XPel - if possible i would try to get XPel Ultimate Film.... it self heals and really protects the cars.... he installs it on a lot of high-end cars also.

My brother is a certified Paint Protection Installer by both 3M and XPel - if possible i would try to get XPel Ultimate Film.... it self heals and really protects the cars.... he installs it on a lot of high-end cars also.

I bought the 3M stuff, I couldn't find the XPel stuff on Amazon plus it looks like Xpel is pre-cut and they didn't offer a kit for our cars. So the 3M stuff I bought just a bulk roll and will cut it to fit. But if your Brother has any helpful hints for install those would be much appreciated!

Has it discolored at all from being out in the sun? Turn Yellow at all?
No yellowing I think its a good way to. My chip guard was in bad shape when I painted my Buick .I cant say anything bad about this product.

But if your Brother has any helpful hints for install those would be much appreciated!

The best advice anyone can give you in this instance is:

"Have a professional do it."

Last edited:
The best advice anyone can give you in this instance is:

"Have a professional do it."

While I don't disagree, the only problem is the nearest professional installer is over an hour away from me.

While I don't disagree, the only problem is the nearest professional installer is over an hour away from me.

So?

Suck it up and do the smart thing.

Are you willing to live with the stretch marks you leave in the film because you don't know where to and NOT to really pull on the film to make it act the way you want it to?

Are you willing to accept that you somehow cut into your paint with a razor blade/knife trying to make a piece fit?

Are you willing to live with bubbles, stretch marks and glaring imperfections because you don't know the "pro" tricks to correct them?

You're willing to face the fact that your car is black and you trying to do this yourself will do nothing but make your own mistakes stand out even worse?

I could go on and on, however, I'll leave it be here and now. You're only buying yourself a world of headaches trying to do this with no experience.

Attached are typical cars we do PPF on daily. We do Lambos, Ferraris, Porsches, Bentleys, the occasional Corvette and, yes, old and new Buicks, Chevys and Fords, too.

If you must, go for it. I will only say this, even the newest and best 3M Film is difficult to work with. Just know that installing Paint Protection Film is not a job for the novice.

Good luck, and keep us in the loop, please.

I would never knock your enthusiasm. I'm all for doing it yourself, but as to your nativity in this particular vocation, well, I'm just saying you might not understand just what you are taking on.

Again, please remember, I'm only trying to save you from yourself.......

If you were in Phoenix, I would ask you you to come to us and have my real, professional guys do the job for free (the Buick brotherhood means something.... ) just so that you would come back in here on the board and say "He's right".

Once more, good luck to you, sir.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 108
Last edited:
TurboTGuy is giving you vary good advice. 3M product is vary good... everything he is saying is right . Mine turned out great, if you mess it up it could be vary hard to remove could damage your paint. Do your research and go to it, I did and it came out good. Dennis

Highly recommended product. I bought the pre cut pieces and covered the front of my vette. You must have patience. Which I don't have. It turned out decent. They sell a spray on version also.

Back