You can type here any text you want

3rd Gen swap tips?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

AF86GN

Mostly stock!
I know a guy with a complete GN drivetrain for sale, thinking about picking it up for my 89 and making a TTA clone. Any tips on how hard the swap is? I see a few 3rd gen cars on here, but not a lot of info for a how-to. :smile:

Well, I committed to buying the drivetrain last night, I'm going to get the motor freshened up at a local machine shop that I know has some turbo buick experience, then dive feet first into this thing.

It's been done by a few others before, so I know it's possible, and I do have some good friends to help with the fab stuff, I'm sure I'll need it! ;)

Stay tuned for more, I will be out of town a lot for the next few months, look for action in June!

My Firebird is a nice car, I got lucky and only paid $200 for it. I picked up the entire drive train (complete engine with 119K miles, harness, ecu, trans) for $1000, so hopefully under $5k total investment I'll have a real nice 3rd gen turbo with a rebuilt LC2 drivetrain.

Ed

I'm thinking about doing this swap with my '82 Trans Am...the only thing that Im concerned with is the wiring. Obviously I can get an engine harness aftermarket, however it is expensive, but I'm wondering about the wiring from the ECM. I can swap the ECM, but the ECM wiring that is stock in my car is the old slot type connector, not the pin type. Will I have to replace the entire ECM harness as well?

Well, I have not done this swap yet, so take it with a grain of salt here lol!

I have done a 3rd gen LS1 swap, so I'm not totally clueless on the topic though!

You'll need the engine harness back to the ECU, then you'll splice that into the car's harness, hooking up to the power, gauges, fuel pump relay, ignition key, etc.

I would think the Casper's harness would have the ECU connector, or get a good GN harness with the motor and splice it.

I have a complete and running GN I am pulling the drivetrain and all the pieces out of, so that is my plan, just to reuse as much as possible.

Back