You can type here any text you want

4.1 #484 blocks

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
49-blues said:
What year buicks had the 4.1 #484 block with the turbo crank?
'83 and '84 came with the 484 4.1. As for the turbo crank... its a crap shoot there. If its been rebuilt, it probably has an NA crank. If its unopened, they are all "supposed" to have a turbo crank but no garentees

I had a 1984 regal N/A - no #484 4.1 block - i thought they came in like 78-79 years?

The 4.1's were found in the big cars from 80 to 84 only. They were put into the Riv's etc. I don't think I ever remember one in a Regal though. They all seem to have the 3.8 instead. Typically, the 484 block was the later models years of 83 and 84.

49-blues said:
Thanks. the 78-79 regals must have been the ones with turbo cranks?
I don't think so all 4.1's are "supposed" to start with a turbo crank, however if it get rebuilt the machine shop generally would substitute an NA crank. My 484 came out of an 84 Electra and had a turbo crank and rods. You could get a Regal with a 4.1 but not many where ordered as such. The 484 4.1 is generally considered the most desireable of the production 4.1 blocks but they did make them 79-84 in atleast 3 different casting numbers with different improvments made on each.

FYI 4.1's were only used 80-84. I usually find them in 82-84 Regals more than I do the full sizes. I must have bought at least a dozen or so of them over the past 15-20 years and every single one has had the turbo crank. I have seen an example or two that came with the 4.1 from the factory(VIN code 4) and were apparently replaced with 3.8's when something broke on them, so I would say if you do find a 4.1 the chances are good that it has the turbo crank in it. I usually scope them over pretty good before I buy them. It is pretty easy to tell if anyone has been inside them. Just look at all of the gasket surfaces. The 4.1 used the FelPro composition gasket where as the 3.8 used a steel shim in those years. The OEM intake gasket is also a steel shim type where the aftermarkets are usually composition. Excessive RTV is another clue. It has been reported that a fourth casting number is out there. Check out this thread from the other place: http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40004

Back